Good Experience With Temporary Residency Renewal

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I just renewed my Temporary Residency and this year there were a few changes, as usual. I uploaded the documents as before and when I checked on the Migration website a few days later it said the documents were accepted and requested payment, which I did, and printed off the receipt, which they ask you to take to the Immigration office when you go. A day or two later I checked the site again and this time it showed a date and time for my appointment, which I could accept or decline. I accepted so I don't know what happens if you decline - presumably another appointment is offered. It seems that they don't send you an email any more - the onus is on you to check the site, although after accepting I did receive an automated phone call asking me to accept again, which I did, and the robot confirmed I had already done so.

I was pleased that my appointment was at 1p.m., which gave me plenty of time to drive down from Cabarete and have some lunch before going into the office. I went in a little early - about 12.30 and would you believe I was out of there again with my new Residency card in my hand half an hour later. Those of you who have renewed in the last few years will remember waiting for hours just to make the payment.

The next stage, at the JCE office, was a little worse than before, and I had to wait in line for about an hour to have the photo and fingerprints taken for the cedula. I believe this is because there are many more Haitians applying for cedulas after the Regularization process a couple of years ago.

However, overall, I was pleased with the efficiency of the service - something I never thought I would say about Residency renewal.

Next year it's my first Permanent Residency, so we'll see if it's equally efficient.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Same, except I was in and out of JCE, cedula in hand in 30mn top. On the other hand i spent a bit more time at DGM, i had a 0900 appointment but was there at 0800 ( to beat the traffic jams), out at 0930.

It was a temporary renewal as well ( as apparently DGM does not count years the same as I do..... go figure..... will try permanent next year for the 3d time, lol ).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A poster on another thread, Buzzard, said his appliction was rejected for lack of proof of pension deposit into a Dominican bank.

Did either the OP or Malko have to provide this info? I've never been asked to provide that before. Maybe it's new(?).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Buzzard applied under the Retiree program. If I had sought that classification and pension deposit into a DR bank is a requirement, I'd have a problem. The Govt of Canada does not currently offer direct deposit pension payments in the DR where as they do for some other countries.

I still think this is a misunderstanding as to what DGM is asking for. Or maybe this clerk doesn't know what she is supposed to be asking for. See my post in the other thread. They either want statements to show that a monthly pension is being deposited in a bank in the home country and that pension deposit is of a sufficient amount to meet the program requirements, or they are asking for statements from a DR bank showing monthly deposits in this country equal to the minimum amount the Retiree program stipulates must be deposited for a Husband & Wife.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Buzzard applied under the Retiree program. If I had sought that classification and pension deposit into a DR bank is a requirement, I'd have a problem. The Govt of Canada does not currently offer direct deposit pension payments in the DR where as they do for some other countries.

I still think this is a misunderstanding as to what DGM is asking for. Or maybe this clerk doesn't know what she is supposed to be asking for. See my post in the other thread. They either want statements to show that a monthly pension is being deposited in a bank in the home country and that pension deposit is of a sufficient amount to meet the program requirements, or they are asking for statements from a DR bank showing monthly deposits in this country equal to the minimum amount the Retiree program stipulates must be deposited for a Husband & Wife.

I applied under the retiree/pension provision. I have never been asked to provide any kind of financial information during my renewals.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
A poster on another thread, Buzzard, said his appliction was rejected for lack of proof of pension deposit into a Dominican bank.

Did either the OP or Malko have to provide this info? I've never been asked to provide that before. Maybe it's new(?).

I am " regular " residency.......no pension here:/ as i turn 39 soon, i guess i can't complain ;).
No proof of income was required.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not even DR bank statements or a letter from the bank detailing the account(s)?

No, zero, not during my past 3 renewals anyway. Guzman did my initial residency and I can't remember exactly what financial information was provided then, but I definitely didn't have to show that any pension funds were being deposited into a DR bank account because they weren't and still aren't.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
No, I didn't have to provide any proof of income either. Although like some I could mention ( ;) )I don't try to claim I'm 39 and I admit I'm a pensioner, I wasn't one when I first applied so I just have normal residency.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It was a temporary renewal as well ( as apparently DGM does not count years the same as I do..... go figure..... will try permanent next year for the 3d time, lol ).

Hey Malko, did you apply for permanent online? What happened then? Did they reject your application and tell you that you had to apply for Temporary again?

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Hey Malko, did you apply for permanent online? What happened then? Did they reject your application and tell you that you had to apply for Temporary again?

Yeah, after a couple of days i got a message on the DGM site saying the " datos no comple con los cincos años " or something like that.
So I just re-did the process using " temporary renewal " tab instead of the " solicitud de residencia permanente ", and 2 days later i got my message with the date to go to DGM.
If i remember correctly, my original residency was finally procrssed in 2014.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I just completed the renewal of my permanent residencia. The process online was super easy and living on the north coast it is much more convenient doing the medical exam up here.
I had the appointment in Santo Domingo this Monday at 2.00pm but I decided to arrive at 1.00pm as we all know how long the process used to take. That room was always full of about 100 people waiting! I was surprised to only find about 15 people waiting so it was already looking good. I deposited my papers and they started processing them straight away. 5 minutes later I was called to do the biometrics and 20 minutes after my arrival at the immigration office I had my residencia in hand. I went off to do my cedula which took 15 minutes!! I was super impressed with their new system and it totally works and after living here for 16 years I can say that it was a very pleasurable experience. Now they are so far advanced I would not be surprised if they start issuing residencias on the north coast in the coming years.

Another thing I would like to add is that this trip was the first time I have ever user Uber and I was super impressed. Even though I drove down to the capital, I left my car in the parking lot of the condo I rented and my family an me used Uber to get around everywhere, (apart form when we went to Ikea, needed my own car for that as we managed to fill it up!). We never had to wait more than 3 minutes for an Uber to arrive and the service was excellent. And the price was extremely cheap. Most trips were about 120 pesos. The immigration office was 7km from our condo and so it cost 205 pesos!! My advice to people is if you are not planning on doing a huge amount of shopping then forget about coming by car, take the bus and then Uber everywhere, it really takes out the hassle of dealing with traffic. I really was not expecting it to work as good as it did and it helped to make a short vacation with the family a thoroughly enjoyable trip, 100% hassle free!

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
A question for Drstock - when your documents were accepted and you made payment, how many days later was your appointment?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
my permanent residency will expire next month. I would like to know if the immigration office is open and operating in the morning .can I still do it online and pay at the bank ?please let me know if the immigration office is functioning and not closed. Thanks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You may still be able to submit your renewal paperwork online, but the word from my lawyer is that there will not be any appointments for photos, fingerprints and new cards until the Govt slowdown is ended. I've been waiting for over a month.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i need "no antecedente penal" letter. I tried paying online but they want a dominican bank credit card. Mine is from usa. so I guess I would have to go to banreservas and pay it in person?
what about the medical procedure? where do i pay and how do i get an appointment?
i am renewing my permanent residency card.
thanks in advance

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am not familiar with the new digital residency renovation procedure. I need 2 passport sized pictures and seems like all photo places are closed. i can get all the documents and sent it online but i am not sure about the medical exam part. who sends me there? what place? do i make my own appointment or will they send me to one place certified by the government? when does this part comes into play? I can send all my documents , scanned and uploaded example: photo, passport page scanned picture, cedula and residencia card and also "no antecedente penal / buena conducta" letter. medical exam is not asked for at this moment. so when do i get a date and a place for medical exam? where do i pay for it? please help with the steps. thanks

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I assume that DGM is not working at the moment but you maybe able to download your documents and wait for DGM start working.

As for the medical, once all your documents are reviewed and accepted you will see on the web site that if you wish to pay online, then once paid the web site will instruct you where to go for the medical. You have 3 days to go for the medical.Remember to bring a copy of this notice and the website (printout) to the medical. It was like this for me, if you do not pay online surly the website will instruct you how to proceed. (Paying online at this point makes it faster when you pick up your card, I used local credit card)

In short you must check on the website frequently for the next step. ( all surprise and not explain ahead of time)

good luck,especially at this time

XTraveller

Reactions: AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks x traveller for giving me the exact info i was looking for. I have submitted my initial paperwork and will check everyday to see when i will be sent for medical tests. I will inform regarding my experience as i go though with this renewal process.