When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When the infections start going down rather than up.

What makes you think that's the way the gubmint will play the hand? At some point real soon they will start to play the economics of it all hand. They have the tourism problem staring at them. They have the dole money they need to come up with. They have a DOP @55 that I suppose can't be supported in the market. Putting Humpty Dumpty back together again might not work if they need all infections to be down data. Let's face it, not everyone is going to play by the rules and chance civil unrest. Right?

Reactions: LaVerdadera

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Hey guys I am looking for some credible information as to when the Dom Rep will open again for incoming International flights? I have heard April 3rd, April 15, May 31 and beyond. Does anyone have any insight into this?

My opinion: There is no "credible information" out there other than the powers to be to decide what's best for the country.I really don't believe they can keep this country locked up for very long. Why? They don't have deep pockets like Trump. He can print all he wants. Dollars. Not DOPs.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Badpiece, I too am waiting to return and get away from NYC. I think it's going to be a couple of months. Just this week I got shut out two times from traveling on Jet Blue because they couldn't fill the plane. I am now waiting on my third attempt to travel Savannah to JFK on Monday. What's going to happen when they open up Sto Do? Are they going to have more people at the gate wanting to go besides me? IDK.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
6 to 10 weeks depending on a multiplicity of things.

Take the over.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
What makes you think that's the way the gubmint will play the hand? At some point real soon they will start to play the economics of it all hand. They have the tourism problem staring at them. They have the dole money they need to come up with. They have a DOP @55 that I suppose can't be supported in the market. Putting Humpty Dumpty back together again might not work if they need all infections to be down data. Let's face it, not everyone is going to play by the rules and chance civil unrest. Right?

Reopening their borders for tourism will not help a thing. The tourism sector will be damaged for years so risking more infections for tourism would be asinine. The Dominican Republic will have to borrow money to stay afloat. Deep down they know this already. Everyday the infections are increasing by 100. Soon people will be dying by the 100s. They cannot get people to adhere to the curfew. For example:

https://www.facebook.com/641839068/posts/10157456997854069/?funlid=FJalMYxLYg5dppJv&d=w&vh=i

The Dominican Republic will be the Caribbean epicenter for covid-19. Even if the country were to open it's hard to imagine travelers leaving their corona hotbeds to travel to another. The scare of infection/reinfection will be too much. If I were a betting man I'd say the country will probably reopen by the summer.

Reactions: rhanson1

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Hey guys I am looking for some credible information as to when the Dom Rep will open again for incoming International flights? I have heard April 3rd, April 15, May 31 and beyond. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Let me break down some of those dates you heard

April 3rd is when the the current decree of 15 days of domestic quarantine that prohibits movement after 5pm expires. That decree has been updated multiple times , with clarifications and aumentations but so far the date of expiration hasn't change in any of the updates.

More importantly to your question, April 3rd is also the expiration of the decree that closes the borders by air, sea and land. So best case scenario that is your first available opportunity to enter the country by air (or April 4th depending on how you interpret the dates in the decree) .
April 13th is the expiration date on the order of suspension of all classes and educational activities.
April 13th is also the expiration of the State of Emergency announced by the President. (it is 25 days from 19th of March)

May 31 is the expiration date of many of the assistance programs announced for Dominicans eg. food and welfare assistance, the stay at home unemployment assistance program etc.

The stay at home employment program is where the gov't promises to cover up to $8,500 pesos monthly to encourage us not to lay off employees in the private formal sector. We (business owners) pay the rest.

This is just a brief summary , don't have time to break down everything but based on this the government hopes by May 31st all will be well ( so assistance programs are only until May 31st)

Stay safe

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't think it will be opening anytime soon and, even if it did, I don't see any inclination among travelers to be getting on an airplane to go anywhere. Domestic travel is way down.

I got info from some Canadian friends who left yesterday, They were informed by Air Transat that the the Dominican Republic would not be accepting inbound International travelers until May 31st at the earliest and maybe later than that, I went to their website and could not find that info, Im not the best internet surfer so it may be there.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Obviously since hotels are closed, restaurants and bars closed, beaches closed and 5 PM curfew there is little reason for tourists to want to come.
My guess (and it's only a guess) is limited flights might resume in May. That's if infection rates are dropping or there is a readily available vaccine (unlikely).
But by then it's getting hot here and it's not tourism season.

You have to sympathize with shop keepers who will struggle long after things reopen - if they have employees still ready to come back.

Jan 3, 2003
Reopening their borders for tourism will not help a thing. The tourism sector will be damaged for years so risking more infections for tourism would be asinine. The Dominican Republic will have to borrow money to stay afloat. Deep down they know this already. Everyday the infections are increasing by 100. Soon people will be dying by the 100s. They cannot get people to adhere to the curfew. For example:

https://www.facebook.com/641839068/posts/10157456997854069/?funlid=FJalMYxLYg5dppJv&d=w&vh=i

The Dominican Republic will be the Caribbean epicenter for covid-19. Even if the country were to open it's hard to imagine travelers leaving their corona hotbeds to travel to another. The scare of infection/reinfection will be too much. If I were a betting man I'd say the country will probably reopen by the summer.

Excellent points. Be prepared to see the peso hit 100. I remember being ridiculed for calling a 50 peso mark when the peso was at 12. The naysayers called me an alarmist, a Chicken Little extremist. The path to 100 has been set and will accelerate thanks to coronavirus.

Opening up the country to tourism will solely depend on economic collapse factors. Public health be damned. Either way, the desire of a minority few to protect the local population will be outstripped by the financiers, the profiteers and pirates who have come to the DR solely for gain.

This has been the function and purpose of the DR since its inception over 500 years ago.Strip the land, remove its resources and extract any productive value to benefit foreign interests. Trujillo was the last Nationalist that gave a damn about the country.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Excellent points. Be prepared to see the peso hit 100. I remember being ridiculed for calling a 50 peso mark when the peso was at 12. The naysayers called me an alarmist, a Chicken Little extremist. The path to 100 has been set and will accelerate thanks to coronavirus.

Opening up the country to tourism will solely depend on economic collapse factors. Public health be damned. Either way, the desire of a minority few to protect the local population will be outstripped by the financiers, the profiteers and pirates who have come to the DR solely for gain.

This has been the function and purpose of the DR since its inception over 500 years ago.Strip the land, remove its resources and extract any productive value to benefit foreign interests.

I am in agreement with the above. I deleted the last line of your post as I totally disagree with any support of a murderer, rapist and self serving individual.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My guess is only that it will NOT be April 3rd.......

Probably depends on the containment success.......
A moving target

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have also heard the argument that when this is over people who have been 'shut-ins' for so long will return en masse to restaurants and vacation spots

Look at the number here who can't wait to come or go.....

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
As a data point, United Airlines has canceled all flights into the DR for the entire month of April. (They normally fly here to four airports: SDQ, STI, POP, PUJ). On their website, the first date they are showing flights into the DR is May 4th.

Obviously that could change.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
My feeling is that it can't go back to normal until July at best. No matter how bad it will be moneywise, there is just no way DR will let foreigners in, as the virus is not under control yet.

On the other hand, it is spreading like wildfire down here in DR, so I am also wondering who the heck in his right mind would want to come down here right now?

Reactions: thompstr and aarhus
Status
Not open for further replies.