credit cards in DR

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have a question about credit cards. I read online that some people like to use their USA credit cards and ask cashier they want to pay in pesos. Others like to get a DR credit card and pay for purchase. I hear that getting credit card in DR is a hassle especially if u just move and have no credit.

For those living in DR , what's recommended? Get DR CC or use ur US CC and pay in pesos avoiding hassle of getting DR CC. Please explain any up and downs for using US CC or DR CC card. What u prefer to use and why? Thanks

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have had no problems using USA credit cards. I generally use 1 and keep the others in reserve. It's just that many places don't take credit cards. Try using one at a colmado :D

I also had no problems with my USA debit card...until...the Popular bank ate it. Then, not knowing why, I called my USA bank and they immediately froze it. So it meant even if I got it back it was worthless. I had to wait a month or 2 until I got back to USA to retrieve the new one. Now, I'm scared shitless to try again. I will though next month when I run out of cash. I hate the Western Union lines here in Andres/Boca Chica.

The reason I don't have a Dominican Credit or Debit Card is because you need an account and as a non-citizen, to many hoops to jump thru. Search the threads on here about opening a Dominican Bank Account for more info.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Until you have a bank account - the DR CC is out of the question
So - initially, you have only the US option

Yes - select Pay in Pesos - your bank converts , not the retailer

Once established here - a DR debit or credit card...
Debit is easier for me....

I use both and have for years
Matters not to me unless my DR account is low

erod

Apr 9, 2017
I have had no problems using USA credit cards. I generally use 1 and keep the others in reserve. It's just that many places don't take credit cards. Try using one at a colmado :D

I also had no problems with my USA debit card...until...the Popular bank ate it. Then, not knowing why, I called my USA bank and they immediately froze it. So it meant even if I got it back it was worthless. I had to wait a month or 2 until I got back to USA to retrieve the new one. Now, I'm scared shitless to try again. I will though next month when I run out of cash. I hate the Western Union lines here in Andres/Boca Chica.

The reason I don't have a Dominican Credit or Debit Card is because you need an account and as a non-citizen, to many hoops to jump thru. Search the threads on here about opening a Dominican Bank Account for more info.

Yeah I hear that getting bank account is a hassle. If popular bank ate your card, don't they have someone available to open ATM and retrieve it? You bring a good point, what are the options when ATM eats your card? Go back to USA and get one?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Yeah I hear that getting bank account is a hassle. If popular bank ate your card, don't they have someone available to open ATM and retrieve it? You bring a good point, what are the options when ATM eats your card? Go back to USA and get one?

Yes. Actually on a visit a couple of years ago before I retired, the ATM ate the card and I went in the next day with a passport and retrieved it. I don't remember the bank but it was in zona colonial.

This time however I called my bank because I thought maybe they had put a hold on it. They had not but as soon as they found out it wasn't in my possession, they did put a hold on it and I had to wait to go back to the USA. Then it wasn't a big deal because Western Union rarely had lines of over 5 people. Those days are gone now.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
To me, a DR debit or credit card is better for every day use than a foreign one because you don't get ripped off on the exchange rate. However, I get an awful lot of charges and interest payments, even if I pay off the account every month by its due date. Currently, Banco Popular has mysteriously cancelled my CC so it's not working, but the monthly charges still keep appearing on my bank account. My credit card was very useful when I had to pay for part of a hospital operation, but apart from that I'm considering giving up on the credit card altogether and just using my DR debit card.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had bad experiences with both DR and US credit cards here. I just don't use them unless there is an emergency.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
To me, a DR debit or credit card is better for every day use than a foreign one because you don't get ripped off on the exchange rate. However, I get an awful lot of charges and interest payments, even if I pay off the account every month by its due date. Currently, Banco Popular has mysteriously cancelled my CC so it's not working, but the monthly charges still keep appearing on my bank account. My credit card was very useful when I had to pay for part of a hospital operation, but apart from that I'm considering giving up on the credit card altogether and just using my DR debit card.

How difficult was it for you to open your bank account and how long ago was it?

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I use my U.S. cards all the time (except at the colmado!) and have never been asked if I want to pay in pesos or dollars. The charge is always in pesos and then the issuer converts it to dollars on my statement. I also have my uber account on a credit card. The only time I've had a problem with uber is trying to get a car at odd hours at which point I switch to cash payment.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I use three different credit cards in the DR, only because I am cheap and want to maximize cash back. None charge international fees. Pay in pesos, if they charge in dollars they will rip you off.
Sams club mastercharge: 5% cash back for gas, 3% restaurants, 3% travel
Capital one rewards card: 3% entertainment, 3% restaurants, 2%grocery
HSBC rewards card: 1 1/2% on everything else.

Also use the Charles Schwab bank card, no fees anywhere and good exchange rate. Thanks to the dr1er who recommended the Schwab card. It requires a brokerage account, both are free and easy to set up.

Reactions: cavok

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I use three different credit cards in the DR, only because I am cheap and want to maximize cash back. None charge international fees. Pay in pesos, if they charge in dollars they will rip you off.

Also use the Charles Schwab bank card, no fees anywhere and good exchange rate. Thanks to the dr1er who recommended the Schwab card. It requires a brokerage account, both are free and easy to set up.

Do you have to be in the USA to set it up initially?

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Yes. Actually on a visit a couple of years ago before I retired, the ATM ate the card and I went in the next day with a passport and retrieved it. I don't remember the bank but it was in zona colonial.

This time however I called my bank because I thought maybe they had put a hold on it. They had not but as soon as they found out it wasn't in my possession, they did put a hold on it and I had to wait to go back to the USA. Then it wasn't a big deal because Western Union rarely had lines of over 5 people. Those days are gone now.
Yeah, this is a problem. Going back to USA to get a card.

erod

Apr 9, 2017

I heard about the Schwab bank card. Is the exchange rate calculated by Charles and schwap or by the ATM bank in DR when u withdraw money from ATM?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
When I opened my Dominican bank account it was very easy. That was years ago and things have changed quite a bit. I use Canadian credit cards here and it's usually no problem.
Never had any problems using the ATM in the DR either.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
I heard about the Schwab bank card. Is the exchange rate calculated by Charles and schwap or by the ATM bank in DR when u withdraw money from ATM?
They use the visa exchange rate. 55.25 today

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Do you have to be in the USA to set it up initially?
I assume you need a USA mailing address to get the card delivered. Not sure. Sorry. I should have clarified, I live in the states, only visit the DR, for months at a time usually.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Did The credit card company sent it to DR? Were there any charges like shipping and handling?

Over the course of the last 10 years, I have had 2 US of A based cards that needed to be replaced. On both occasions, they were both delivered via the UPS service within 48 hours.
Shipping and handling was covered by the financial institutions, at no extra cost towards me.