President Danilo Medina eases restrictions on normal activities, public transport to resume

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Vagon-del-Metro-Listin-Diario-e1589808715947.jpeg

The Presidency announced phase one of a four-phase plan to take activities to the new normal within the coronavirus epidemic. The measures respond to public pressure from non-essential businesses to reopen following safety guidelines.

The President says the objective is to restore economic activities yet not stimulate a spike in coronavirus spreading. The President says the authorities will be closely monitoring the evolution of the phases. He urged all Dominicans to adhere to hygiene measures, use facial masks and keep physical distancing.

The government authorized most small businesses to open as of Wednesday, 20 May 2020. To facilitate worker transport, President Danilo Medina announced the Metro, Skylift and OMSA public bus transporters will be back in operation as of Wednesday from 6am to 6pm. The transport units, nevertheless, are ordered to carry only...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More announcements to come on protocols and phases of reopening.

If restaurants reopen with limited capacity requirements, they might as well remain closed. Margins are so thin, they need high numbers of clients to survive.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

If restaurants reopen with limited capacity requirements, they might as well remain closed. Margins are so thin, they need high numbers of clients to survive.

Are you speaking of Dominican owned restaurants, or foreign owned establishments?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are you speaking of Dominican owned restaurants, or foreign owned establishments?
I expect similar situations apply around the world. Those who have significant take out business, own the property, and are owned and operated by family members will have some advantages.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

they're going 'al fresco' in other countries to widen the seating area and allow more (or the same #) people
Closing some streets to allow such
This country's weather is very conducive to this idea

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
they're going 'al fresco' in other countries to widen the seating area and allow more (or the same #) people
Closing some streets to allow such
This country's weather is very conducive to this idea

And I hope that does work out. There might even be a re-assessment of the closing of part of Pedro Clisante in Sosua so people can "socially distance" while eating. Indoor only restaurants are going to face a very significant challenge remaining solvent if their capacities are limited by government regulations.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There will be little 'indoor' restaurants for a while -- say I.............

Too close for comfort..........hahaha

Look at our beach eating here ..... safer than almost anything beyond hiding under the bed

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I expect similar situations apply around the world. Those who have significant take out business, own the property, and are owned and operated by family members will have some advantages.

Which defines the overwhelming majority of Dominican owned food establishments.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
These 'openings' & 'regulations' are designed for Sto Dom/Sti/etc

What do they have to do w/ those outside the big cities

Social distancing on a construction site ? What!!???
How do they know what 50% of your labor force is ??!!

A 'One Size Fits All' solution might not be workable

It's a start..... at least a start

Sep 22, 2009
These 'openings' & 'regulations' are designed for Sto Dom/Sti/etc

What do they have to do w/ those outside the big cities

Social distancing on a construction site ? What!!???
How do they know what 50% of your labor force is ??!!

A 'One Size Fits All' solution might not be workable

It's a start..... at least a start
The DR needs you now W2x! I'm sure you have tons of experience reopening an economy after a good pandemic. I don't know if your Project Management Professional certificate of completion is valid though

Reactions: Caonabo