Why the high electricity bills?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
EDEESTE-ONPECO-e1590066857161.jpeg

Thousands in the Dominican Republic are complaining about the increases in electricity bills during the Covid-19 quarantine. The former director of the Consumer Protection Agency (Proconsumidor), Altagracia Paulino, characterized the bills as “abusive.” She said that the Superintendency of Electricity (Protecom) and the Dominican government need to review the formula used to measure electricity consumption in homes and businesses in March and April.

She said many closed businesses are finding themselves with high electricity bills. The complaints are primarily from customers of the government utilities Eedesur, Edenorte and Ede Este.

Paulino is now the director of the National Observatory for Consumer Protection (ONPECO). She said that affected users should not pay the excessive invoices issued by the power distribution companies (EDEs). She said the increases are...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Apparently claro too is sending excessive inflated bills. They wan tyou to go and wait 5 hours in the sun with the covid19 and maybe get sick or just pay

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I hear lots of people complain that their electric bill is higher. Is it possible? Anyone know how, since a meter does not know about the CCP Virus.

I tell people they most likely had more days in that billing month...33 or 34 or more maybe because of meter reading issues.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Your electric bills are correct, and are actually reflecting the amount of electricity you did indeed consume, over the previous three billing cycles. Very simple. Easy peasy.

I will attempt to explain the billing situation in the easiest terms that I possibly can for you.
RD residents should have a much easier time understanding this, as opposed to the foreign visitor/condo renters, who seem to be full of other, well let us just say, "issues" recently.
As well, if you are easily distracted by numbers please move on, as there are no pictures I can provide to help you. I will attempt to space the examples as best possible, for ease of understanding.
I will be using EDEESTE which serves the southern tier, for my examples

Your electric bill is based on a cycle of on average 30 days. On average, because it may run 29 or 30 but no longer than 31 days. The company also provides you with a 30 day window following to make payment.

We will start with the billing period of 26/2 - 26/3, with payment due prior to 28/4. This period covers the end of February, and most of March for a period of 30 days, and provides for the window of 30 days to make payment.

As we all know by now, the State of Emergency went into effect on 19/3. This SOE effected most businesses including the electrical utility sector, which operated at less manpower, and attended to emergencies only. Basic service calls and meter readings were not being performed.

It is also safe to understand as well that we all, for the most part, consumed more electric than we normally would have due to the curfew hours, and being restricted to our residences more so than is the standard normal.
I will freely admit that I did.

Now, when the SOE went into effect, your billing cycle was only 22 days into the 30 day cycle. With no meter readings, the companies used your average usage daily for the prior 22 days, and estimated the usage for the final 8 days of the billing cycle. This combined, gave you your bill for the cycle of 26/2 - 26/3. For our example, let us say it was 10,000 pesos.

The next billing cycle ran from 27/3 - 25/4 (30 days), with payment due prior to 27/5. There were no meter readings to be had, so the company issued a statement copying the usage of the previous cycle, based on estimated daily usage, which resulted in an amount of......10,000 pesos as well for this cycle.

Finally, we now move on to the current cycle of 26/4 - 25/5 (30 days), with payment due prior to 27/6.
In this cycle, you are most likely seeing a large amount, but it is actually the true amount you owe. How so?

Remember the 26/2- 26/3 billing period? You were charged 10,000 pesos. That amount contained 8 days that were estimated. Your bill should have been 12,000 instead of the 10,000, but you were charged only the 10,000....thereby owing +2000.

The 27/3 - 25/4 billing period charged you 10,000, as it was just repeated without a reading, when in actuality, it could have totaled 15,000....thereby owing +5000.

Now with our current cycle of 26/4 - 25/5 (30 days), you are seeing your last 30 day cycle of usage, say 15,000 + 5,000 owed, + 2,000 owed.....for a monthly bill totalling 22,000 with payment due prior to 27/6, while you believe your bill should only be 10,000 pesos.
22,000 -vs- 10,000.....the reality -vs- your belief.

To further complicate matters for some slow laners, the electric companies stated that they were going to be providing 24 hour service, and no customers would have their service cut due to lack of payment. Many chose not to make any payments during this time. These persons are now receiving a statement that would read as such....12,000 + 15,000 + 15,000......totaling 42,000 pesos, payable by 27/6.

At no time did the company say they were offering free electric. They solely stated that customers would receive 24 hour electric, and no customers would lose their service during the SOE, due to nonpayment.

So, in conclusion, your electric bills are correct, and are actually reflecting the amount of electricity you indeed did consume.

Very simple. Easy peasy.

Sep 22, 2009
Your electric bills are correct, and are actually reflecting the amount of electricity you did indeed consume, over the previous three billing cycles. Very simple. Easy peasy.

I will attempt to explain the billing situation in the easiest terms that I possibly can for you.
RD residents should have a much easier time understanding this, as opposed to the foreign visitor/condo renters, who seem to be full of other, well let us just say, "issues" recently.
As well, if you are easily distracted by numbers please move on, as there are no pictures I can provide to help you. I will attempt to space the examples as best possible, for ease of understanding.
I will be using EDEESTE which serves the southern tier, for my examples

Your electric bill is based on a cycle of on average 30 days. On average, because it may run 29 or 30 but no longer than 31 days. The company also provides you with a 30 day window following to make payment.

We will start with the billing period of 26/2 - 26/3, with payment due prior to 28/4. This period covers the end of February, and most of March for a period of 30 days, and provides for the window of 30 days to make payment.

As we all know by now, the State of Emergency went into effect on 19/3. This SOE effected most businesses including the electrical utility sector, which operated at less manpower, and attended to emergencies only. Basic service calls and meter readings were not being performed.

It is also safe to understand as well that we all, for the most part, consumed more electric than we normally would have due to the curfew hours, and being restricted to our residences more so than is the standard normal.
I will freely admit that I did.

Now, when the SOE went into effect, your billing cycle was only 22 days into the 30 day cycle. With no meter readings, the companies used your average usage daily for the prior 22 days, and estimated the usage for the final 8 days of the billing cycle. This combined, gave you your bill for the cycle of 26/2 - 26/3. For our example, let us say it was 10,000 pesos.

The next billing cycle ran from 27/3 - 25/4 (30 days), with payment due prior to 27/5. There were no meter readings to be had, so the company issued a statement copying the usage of the previous cycle, based on estimated daily usage, which resulted in an amount of......10,000 pesos as well for this cycle.

Finally, we now move on to the current cycle of 26/4 - 25/5 (30 days), with payment due prior to 27/6.
In this cycle, you are most likely seeing a large amount, but it is actually the true amount you owe. How so?

Remember the 26/2- 26/3 billing period? You were charged 10,000 pesos. That amount contained 8 days that were estimated. Your bill should have been 12,000 instead of the 10,000, but you were charged only the 10,000....thereby owing +2000.

The 27/3 - 25/4 billing period charged you 10,000, as it was just repeated without a reading, when in actuality, it could have totaled 15,000....thereby owing +5000.

Now with our current cycle of 26/4 - 25/5 (30 days), you are seeing your last 30 day cycle of usage, say 15,000 + 5,000 owed, + 2,000 owed.....for a monthly bill totalling 22,000 with payment due prior to 27/6, while you believe your bill should only be 10,000 pesos.
22,000 -vs- 10,000.....the reality -vs- your belief.

To further complicate matters for some slow laners, the electric companies stated that they were going to be providing 24 hour service, and no customers would have their service cut due to lack of payment. Many chose not to make any payments during this time. These persons are now receiving a statement that would read as such....12,000 + 15,000 + 15,000......totaling 42,000 pesos, payable by 27/6.

At no time did the company say they were offering free electric. They solely stated that customers would receive 24 hour electric, and no customers would lose their service during the SOE, due to nonpayment.

So, in conclusion, your electric bills are correct, and are actually reflecting the amount of electricity you indeed did consume.

Very simple. Easy peasy.
That is beautiful! ESO!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not right Caonabo

My friend pays monthly... doesn;t work so ahs no changes in habits

Furthermore, the days are longer - less luz consumed

Something is drastically wrong w/ the system... across the country
The offices are FULL of complainers...

BIG PROBLEM !!!

Sep 22, 2009
Not right Caonabo

BIG PROBLEM !!!
Luz and fresca are your two words in esp. FYI Willy, the system has always been consistent. You just pay and all is ok, papa!

Reactions: Caonabo

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Not right Caonabo

BIG PROBLEM !!!

I can understand that some who hardly can read need to go to the office and get the bill explained to them.

It has been confusing for many when the EDE’s could not send people out to do meter readings and instead estimated average usage based on previous consumption. Especially for businesses that were closed.
But this were corrected against actual consumption on this months bill, and refunds made where needed.

And the higher than average temperature the last months with fans,a/c and fridge working harder combined with people not beeing able to leave home sure has contributed to a higher than normal usage for many.
Remember that doubling your consume may quadruple your bill,
– Primeros 200 kWh a RD$4.44;
– De 201 y 300 kWh a RD$6.97;
– De 301 y 700 kWh a RD$10.86; y
– Mayor de 700 kWh todos los kilovatios a RD$11.10.

It is very easy to check your electric bill for correctness. Go and look at your meter reading and verify against what is printed on your bill. You may even do it on a daily basis to calculate/check what you consume, the formula is printed on your bill.

If your only complaint is «my bill is higher than normal» without understanding why, go look at the meter.

If you think that the meter readings are wrong, feel free to post your conspiration theory. It may be amusing.

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not right Caonabo

BIG PROBLEM !!!

ww,

1. Again, "a friend".

2. He had no changes in habits regarding his electrical usage throughout the entire SOE? 3 billing periods.

3. Luz is not only for light. Does he not use a fan, or a/c? Does he not watch tv or listen to a radio? Would he have not been opening and closing his refrigerator more? Could he have been using his phone, tablet, computer or other toys that require charging more often?

While I am in full agreement that there is something drastically wrong with the electric utility company system across the nation here in RD, and changes need to made, the complaints you are hearing now from most are just red and white.
Not much substance, but a lot of whine.

Tell me, who LIKES to pay a bill?

Reactions: Big

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Remember that doubling your consume may quadruple your bill,
– Primeros 200 kWh a RD$4.44;
– De 201 y 300 kWh a RD$6.97;
– De 301 y 700 kWh a RD$10.86; y
– Mayor de 700 kWh todos los kilovatios a RD$11.10.

Dont know what you are complaining about. In Bavaro its 14.98 pesos and it doesnt matter how much or little you use.

Sep 22, 2009
ww,

1. Again, "a friend".

2. He had no changes in habits regarding his electrical usage throughout the entire SOE? 3 billing periods.

3. Luz is not only for light. Does he not use a fan, or a/c? Does he not watch tv or listen to a radio? Would he have not been opening and closing his refrigerator more? Could he have been using his phone, tablet, computer or other toys that require charging more often?

While I am in full agreement that there is something drastically wrong with the electric utility company system across the nation here in RD, and changes need to made, the complaints you are hearing now from most are just red and white.
Not much substance, but a lot of whine.

Tell me, who LIKES to pay a bill?
Wx2's friend is his gardner who he pays 8k/month. He never runs out of these types of references

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I did follow the explanation and it seems plausible but how does it apply to some people and not to others ?

My bill went down, slightly, during SOE month over month, ( for different reasons mainly, less lights on all day, shortage of water so spartiate use of pump, relying more on tinaco, less supermarket shopping so less freezer time, etc..... ), however i know of 2 people along the road who have seen their bills go up------ and heard of more 2nd hand.

Does that mean they reajusted some people's bills last month and will do mine---amongst other---- next month ? Seems strange although nothing surprises me anymore with edenorte.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I did follow the explanation and it seems plausible but how does it apply to some people and not to others ?

My bill went down, slightly, during SOE month over month, ( for different reasons mainly, less lights on all day, shortage of water so spartiate use of pump, relying more on tinaco, less supermarket shopping so less freezer time, etc..... ), however i know of 2 people along the road who have seen their bills go up------ and heard of more 2nd hand.

Does that mean they reajusted some people's bills last month and will do mine---amongst other---- next month ? Seems strange although nothing surprises me anymore with edenorte.

The explanation was directed towards those who saw increases, and are complaining about them. I do not know of any persons who are complaining, or have reported that their electric bill is LESS than it should be.