POP airport might not open for tourism until 2021

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
He argued that airports that are more dependent on tourism will require a little more time to reactivate and normalize, since they depend on the work of selling the destination and the packages of the tour operators. "In the case of the airports of Puerto Plata and Samaná they will be reactivated closer to the end of the year or beginning of 2021,

Jan 9, 2004
He argued that airports that are more dependent on tourism will require a little more time to reactivate and normalize, since they depend on the work of selling the destination and the packages of the tour operators. "In the case of the airports of Puerto Plata and Samaná they will be reactivated closer to the end of the year or beginning of 2021,

Tour operators are being told that the airports, when they re-open, will be on staggered schedules with SDQ/PUJ/STI opening first.....but not necessarily at the same time or in that exact order.

That date, the re-opening is still a mystery, in spite of what has been said and written.....about July. July is a wish, just as June and May are/were also wishes. The country does not, as of yet, have all their international arrival protocols finalized......much less ready to be put into place.

POP and AZS are not a high priority.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Juan Bosch

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Wow !! If that's the case there might be a few businesses and condos for sale. (fire sale)

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Whew!!
Just when you thought it couldn't get worse.....

Oh well--- SDQ for me - an hour farther
yes , I wouldn't risk POP for awhile SDQ is much less likely to have canceled flights and it will be less congested for some time

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
When Expats and others who claimed they had " inside knowledge" were hammering away at their Keyboards about how " China is taking over the North Coast" ..
Little did we know that this is what they had in mind .. ( enter Sarcasm smilie here )
I wonder how the Chinese are planning to Travel to the DR to all this Real Estate on the North Coast they were supposedly investing in ? Do you really think the DR Govt is going to allow trips from CHINA anytime in the near Future ? if EVER again .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

wait a miniute.....PUJ is the biggest tourist airport in the country
Actually, biggest - Period

and it will open ??

sounds contradictory to me
plus... you bet they'll open that airport.... it drives the tourism bus

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
yes , I wouldn't risk POP for awhile SDQ is much less likely to have canceled flights and it will be less congested for some time

Whew!!
Just when you thought it couldn't get worse.....

Oh well--- SDQ for me - an hour farther

As previously mentioned,
Actions of gob.do are a step.
However airlines flying to POP, desire by travellers to fly there, disposable income to travel and covid19 travel and quarantine restrictions also in countries of origin,
Will determine what actually happens to POP tourism.
It can be taken as a guarantee, that tourism on the North Coast will be severely restricted in the next two years.

Reactions: windeguy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I cannot imagine the face if Sos/Cab if they are closed for that long.....

Archery range - bowling alley......empty
Who can afford to close that long ??

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Actually... I'm looking at buying a small twin piston engined plane with an out of work pilot. Lol

Big

Apr 24, 2019
When Expats and others who claimed they had " inside knowledge" were hammering away at their Keyboards about how " China is taking over the North Coast" ..
Little did we know that this is what they had in mind .. ( enter Sarcasm smilie here )
I wonder how the Chinese are planning to Travel to the DR to all this Real Estate on the North Coast they were supposedly investing in ? Do you really think the DR Govt is going to allow trips from CHINA anytime in the near Future ? if EVER again .
Good memory jd, this will definitely put them ( China) in the slow lane for awhile

Reactions: CristoRey and jd426

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I would take having to go through Santiago or even Santo Domingo if it means no Chinese come to the North Coast.
Now if we can keep the Jet Blue NY flights going through SDQ we will have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: CristoRey and jd426

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, I've stated repeatedly Chinese investors
have very deep pockets and I would not put it past
them to snatch up an area like Sosua Bay. Tho I've
never alluded to them taking over the North Coast.
I guess some good may indeed come from this Covid1984.

Many of the weekend warriors from the Tri-State area who
enjoy Sosua (in all her glory, lol) fly into/ out of STI so hopefully this
doesn't discourage them from returning once the country reopens.

Reactions: jd426

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Hey, The world's largest passenger aircraft has now paved the way for direct flights from China.
Landed a couple days ago in Santo Domingo

Admittedly, without passengers, only medical supplies. And did not most infections here originate from visitors from Europe and NY?

Wait, I go fetch popcorn. jjjj ;)

Big

Apr 24, 2019
They will be the first tourists to come back here, before the AI Punta Cana crowd, GUARANTEED.
indeed !! spending mucho cash to get the town pumping (no pun) again. They're only concern will be the chance of being quarantined upon return to the States. They wont travel if that is the case. Many are police,fire and govt workers that do get vacay leave but need to return to work in a timely manner.

Reactions: jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The post reads 'Tourist Travel'

what about citizens & Residents?

anybody hazard a guess ??
The POP and Samana airports may not be flying people until next year is another way to state what they mean. People, in general, who are not being rescued out ot the DR by their home countries. Think of it that way.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They will be the first tourists to come back here, before the AI Punta Cana crowd, GUARANTEED.
Ah, "they" will Save Sosua for sure. No doubt. They might have to use other airports but when the floodgates open on July 1 they will cum and raise the level of Sosua higher than ever. :p:D I am surprised "they" have not taken "yolas" to get here already.

As for the comments on China: China has a long term plan around the world. They have patience and perseverance in that plan. Patience and perseverance are not something that is appreciated in the DR. CV-19 will be in the rear view mirror in a year or two, save for some flare ups via waves because of social distancing.