Hello

Fulana517

May 27, 2020
Southern California
Hi
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am new, so...
I am an NP in the US which, for those who don't know, are providers with prescriptive authority and independent practice in many states. We have more scope than an RN but less than a MD/Do. I say all this because my dream has been to open a clinic in the DR. Not sure where to start though. Also unsure how the DR government will receive me as there is no equivalent position, that I know of, there.

Any recommendations on where to start looking for answers? I would like it to be for profit as I'd like to be able to afford a lifestyle but if I can get more information state side on nonprofit funding and grants, I'd be open to that too. What part of the DR has the best need for a clinic? I am familiar with Santo Domingo as I have some distant family and friends there. It's not really my pace though.

Any suggestions and tips are great. I am in very preliminary stages and understand it may be difficult if not impossible. I'd be interested in other ways to use my medical skills in the DR as well.
Thanks!!

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
My suggestion to you would be to come and apply for a position at one of the hospitals or clinics that receive a large number of foreigners. That will give you experience so you can get a grasp of the medical market is here. You could look into the medical cliinics and hospitals in Santiago, that has a slower pace than Santo Domingo. Also, there is La Romana and Puerto Plata.

Reactions: Fulana517

Fulana517

May 27, 2020
Southern California
My suggestion to you would be to come and apply for a position at one of the hospitals or clinics that receive a large number of foreigners. That will give you experience so you can get a grasp of the medical market is here. You could look into the medical cliinics and hospitals in Santiago, that has a slower pace than Santo Domingo. Also, there is La Romana and Puerto Plata.
Thank you. I will look into those areas!