Will the National State of Emergency expire on 1 June 2020?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Camara-de-Diputados-extension-emergencia-El-Dia-e1591017240689.jpg

On Friday, 29 May 2020, the Medina administration sought toextend the National State of Emergency for a fourth time. The president of the Chamber of Deputies, archi-loyal Radhames Camacho (PLD-National District), couldn’t get the deputies to put the extension on the day’s agenda.

Opposition legislators of the Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM), the Social Christian Reformist Party (PRSC) and the People’s Force (FP)had already said they would not vote to renew the National State of Emergency. The bill was received from the Senate. In the Senate, the government party is the majority and had passed the bill on Thursday. The ruling party does not have a majority in the Chamber of Deputies.Opposition deputies had voted for the extension in the past, “so they can’t blame us for spreading the epidemic.”

The president of the Chamber of Deputies Radhames...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Looks like it's gonna die. Let's see what happens today.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If Danilo's team cuts a backroom deal to share the
"emergency decree" spoils with Leonel's team, which
is probably happening now as I type, then I expect the
"oopoosition" to vote in favor of extending. If they can't
come to an agreement on splitting up some of the money
the PLD has stolen over the last couple of months, then
I expect them to vote against another extension.

Reactions: DonDimi

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Well folks, it looks like they were able to reach an "agreement" with the extension.
Money talks. Can't say I'm all that surprised.

The deputies approve extension of state of emergency for 12 days
The Chamber of Deputies approved this afternoon the extension of the state of emergency for a period of 12 days, making a modification to the request made by the President of the Republic, Danilo Medina.

The approval came after an agreement between the legislators, since since yesterday there was a block in the possible approval due to the denial of the opposition deputies to extend the state of emergency.

"We will accept. Gustavo Sánchez's approach is not happy. We have received calls from different sectors, and in communication from our parties, and the truth is that we could have faced this situation differently, ”said PRM spokesman Alfredo Pacheco.

The petition must now go to the Senate of the Republic, again, which had already approved the state of emergency for 25 days.

Senators must meet as quickly as possible since the state of emergency expires on Monday, June 1.

Today's session, number 9 of the deputies, finally found the approval of the state of emergency, after yesterday it was not possible to hold a session due to the impossibility of approving the day's work order.

Today the meeting started around 11:30 in the morning, even though it had been called for 10:00 in the morning. Once the work began, the political opposition asked for a turn to call an intermediate room, about a fifteen minute break to meet and decide what they would approve.

"This legislative political impasse that we have experienced today ... it is inconsistent that on the one hand the economy opens up and on the other hand we are experiencing a fourth exception to the state of national emergency," said Henry Merán, spokesman for the Force. from town.

Merán said that today the game was blocked in the Chamber of Deputies. "Today we reached an agreement ... next time there is no way to reach it, we will not accept it, because there will be no next," he said.

He warned that the draft supplemental budget is where they will "speak English" with the government to explain many items.

Source: ListinDiario

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I sometimes have backyard pig roasts. Initially I would plan the party around what time the pig “should” be finished. Then through trial and error I realized there are too many variables as to when the pig will be finished. The bottom line is “you don’t determine how long the pig needs to roast, the pig determines that”.

Same thing with the CoronaVirus. “We” don’t determine when the airports/borders will open. The virus determines when the airports/ borders will open.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How do you know when a politician is lying? His lips are moving. I was wrong, they lied and granted another extension.

That is why I don't bet money on such outcomes.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
The easy money was on the extension of the SOE. Like taking candy from a baby.

Now onto the next curfew extension.

I will lay you 1.5:1 on any amount up to 4000 pesos that some type of curfew remains in place.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Money talks.
Money buys anything
and everything.
This place is a
hell of a lot more
corrupt than people
want to admit. Saving
life's? Any of you interested
in buying a bridge i have
for sale in London?

Reactions: tht and aarhus

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Same thing with the CoronaVirus. “We” don’t determine when the airports/borders will open. The virus determines when the airports/ borders will open.
The virus does not determine anything.
The corrupt politicians who are using
this "emergency decree" to steal hundreds of millions of dollars are determined alright..
determined to bleed this country dry.
Follow the money.

Reactions: Billp16

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Canada / Villa Liberacion
Well folks, it looks like they were able to reach an "agreement" with the extension.
Money talks. Can't say I'm all that surprised.

The deputies approve extension of state of emergency for 12 days
The Chamber of Deputies approved this afternoon the extension of the state of emergency for a period of 12 days, making a modification to the request made by the President of the Republic, Danilo Medina.

The approval came after an agreement between the legislators, since since yesterday there was a block in the possible approval due to the denial of the opposition deputies to extend the state of emergency.

"We will accept. Gustavo Sánchez's approach is not happy. We have received calls from different sectors, and in communication from our parties, and the truth is that we could have faced this situation differently, ”said PRM spokesman Alfredo Pacheco.

The petition must now go to the Senate of the Republic, again, which had already approved the state of emergency for 25 days.

Senators must meet as quickly as possible since the state of emergency expires on Monday, June 1.

Today's session, number 9 of the deputies, finally found the approval of the state of emergency, after yesterday it was not possible to hold a session due to the impossibility of approving the day's work order.

Today the meeting started around 11:30 in the morning, even though it had been called for 10:00 in the morning. Once the work began, the political opposition asked for a turn to call an intermediate room, about a fifteen minute break to meet and decide what they would approve.

"This legislative political impasse that we have experienced today ... it is inconsistent that on the one hand the economy opens up and on the other hand we are experiencing a fourth exception to the state of national emergency," said Henry Merán, spokesman for the Force. from town.

Merán said that today the game was blocked in the Chamber of Deputies. "Today we reached an agreement ... next time there is no way to reach it, we will not accept it, because there will be no next," he said.

He warned that the draft supplemental budget is where they will "speak English" with the government to explain many items.

Source: ListinDiario
Reminds me of Chris Farley in Tommy Boy when he says "we don't take no for an answer"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the purpose of the soe scam is to maintain the curfew. sorry to disappoint everyone

If this lawyer that I quote below is correct, it is much more than the curfew:

In a conversation I am having with a lawyer who works in Santo Domingo I am finding that the enforcement of the multi-step reopening plan requires a State of Emergency. If the SOE is no longer approved by the DR Senate and Deputies, that plan goes away and everything can open the day of the expiration of the SOE . Here is what she just told me:

"with all due respect this (the 4 step plan being valid) is not true. I am a Dominican lawyer and work for the government trust me when I tell you he cannot continue the phases or curfew hours by decree. That's called a dictatorship.

Please read Law 42-01 articles 69, 149, 153. The President cannot maintain shops closed, limit in capacity, apply social distancing measures, and maintain airports closed through decree. Through a decree fundamental rights cannot be limited, but he can during a State of Emergency. In this nation a President cannot rule by Decree it is unconstitutional.

I am saying, its what our law states. By the 12th of of June if the State of Emergecy is not renewed then yes, everything is open. People were fast to jump on the wagon of "NO MORE SOE" without even reading out laws and Constitution and what that meant. You can disagree with it if you want, but what you are implying does not fit into our rule of law. We are not Venezuela to be ruling by Decree. People have lost their minds. You cannot EVER rule by Decree, especially when you limit fundamental rights. Don't forget the first lines of our Contitution "La Republica Dominicana es un Estado Social y Democratico de Derecho"."

Sep 22, 2009

In a conversation I am having with a lawyer who works in Santo Domingo I am finding that the enforcement of the multi-step reopening plan requires a State of Emergency. If the SOE is no longer approved by the DR Senate and Deputies, that plan goes away and everything can open the day of the expiration of the SOE . Here is what she just told me:

"with all due respect this (the 4 step plan being valid) is not true. I am a Dominican lawyer and work for the government trust me when I tell you he cannot continue the phases or curfew hours by decree. That's called a dictatorship.

Please read Law 42-01 articles 69, 149, 153. The President cannot maintain shops closed, limit in capacity, apply social distancing measures, and maintain airports closed through decree. Through a decree fundamental rights cannot be limited, but he can during a State of Emergency. In this nation a President cannot rule by Decree it is unconstitutional.

I am saying, its what our law states. By the 12th of of June if the State of Emergecy is not renewed then yes, everything is open. People were fast to jump on the wagon of "NO MORE SOE" without even reading out laws and Constitution and what that meant. You can disagree with it if you want, but what you are implying does not fit into our rule of law. We are not Venezuela to be ruling by Decree. People have lost their minds. You cannot EVER rule by Decree, especially when you limit fundamental rights. Don't forget the first lines of our Contitution "La Republica Dominicana es un Estado Social y Democratico de Derecho"."
Funny thing about lawyers. Basically, I was indicating that, yes, it's to keep a tighter handle on the volks. You don't need an attorney in Santo Domingo to tell us that, well maybe you do. Rights are an illusion

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I sometimes have backyard pig roasts. Initially I would plan the party around what time the pig “should” be finished. Then through trial and error I realized there are too many variables as to when the pig will be finished. The bottom line is “you don’t determine how long the pig needs to roast, the pig determines that”.

Oh so we will just wait until everyone in the world is bankrupt - hogwash...your pig analogy is not even a ham sandwich

• Haha
Reactions: etolw

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

It opens for me Monday.
Barbershops and hardware stores are open. I can get beers in a bar (can't tell you which ones), but the police don't bother us and know they are serving.
And I am even sitting in some restaurants (2) and eating.
The gym isn't open but I suspect will be soon.
POP airport opens July 4th. By then no one will even f*ck with these silly masks and it will be the end of mind control

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Sep 22, 2009

It must be nice and comfortable in bed

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Money talks.
Money buys anything
and everything.
This place is a
hell of a lot more
corrupt than people
want to admit. Saving
life's? Any of you interested
in buying a bridge i have
for sale in London?
I'm still making payments on the one I bought in Brooklyn.
If

I say let the SOE expire but make the curfew permanent.
The tranquility at night is just fine with me.