Quality knives on the North Coast ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Is there a place to buy quality kitchen knives on the North Coast?
Playero -No
La Sirena - No
Jumbo - No.
I'm talking full riveted tang type with good steel: Chef's, Bread, Paring and steak knives.
Is this a lost cause ?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I think it is a lost cause. En general Dominican families don’t appreciate €100 knives. When they are poor they can’t afford them and when they are not they have a cook and don’t buy them for the cook. I brought my Global set from Europe, and now they are back here. Order them from Amazon I would say.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
since the worlds on fire, it might delay an online order by a bit, but in the meantime, if you want to see some overpriced knives, look up a 100 year knife Jahrhundert messer.

• Love
Reactions: etolw

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I stopped buying good knives. Even the best ended up without their tips and dull as a board. As it turns out the general consensus is that sharp knives are dangerous as are pointy ends.Unbelievable. A good set of knives lasted my late wife and me for a minimum of 20 years...now 20 days at best.
I even threaten to add onto the house a private and personal kitchen only for me . That is the only thing I cannot get used to here in DR.
I love cooking and having sharp knives....the other habit was the opening of cans with a knife and not a can opener,,,,AAAGGGHHH!!!

Damm I feel better, thanks for the thread.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I stopped buying good knives. Even the best ended up without their tips and dull as a board. As it turns out the general consensus is that sharp knives are dangerous as are pointy ends.Unbelievable. A good set of knives lasted my late wife and me for a minimum of 20 years...now 20 days at best.
I even threaten to add onto the house a private and personal kitchen only for me . That is the only thing I cannot get used to here in DR.
I love cooking and having sharp knives....the other habit was the opening of cans with a knife and not a can opener,,,,AAAGGGHHH!!!

Criss Colon RIP had a thing or three to say about knives and opened cans. He kept his own refrigerator in his bedroom and kept his knives locked up out of the reach of his mother in law. When he wanted to make a meal for himself it was clear the kitchen.

Reactions: Russell

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Using a $100 knife as a can opener. A sharp knife, after all, is a bad thing.

Only in the DR.

Order the knives of your choice on line and hide them well.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
You might sharpen the knife and see what happens.

Bloody Hell

Now I always gives out an warning after I cut meat & stuff

But try to go out in the streets without one, they laugh at you

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Using a $100 knife as a can opener. A sharp knife, after all, is a bad thing.

Only in the DR.

Order the knives of your choice on line and hide them well.
Yes I caught my GF trying to open a can of Carnation cream with my prized pairing knife.
I think Dominicans and quality knifes to not mix.
They also use them for screw drivers, mixing paint, gardening, shaving bars of laundry soap and as a scraping tool.
They use and maintain them just like they do their cars = not at all

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Yes I caught my GF trying to open a can of Carnation cream with my prized pairing knife.
I think Dominicans and quality knifes to not mix.
They also use them for screw drivers, mixing paint, gardening, shaving bars of laundry soap and as a scraping tool.
They use and maintain them just like they do their cars = not at all
I gave an expensive Spyderco to a friend in GH. The last time he took it out his pocket..,,, no tip and had sharpened it with a “lima” they use for machetes. Give it up it wont change.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Playero -No
La Sirena - No
Jumbo - No.
I'm talking full riveted tang type with good steel: Chef's, Bread, Paring and steak knives.
Is this a lost cause ?

You may give those guys in Puerto Plata a try.

• Wow
Reactions: etolw

rockito50

Jan 9, 2020
Playero -No
La Sirena - No
Jumbo - No.
Is this a lost cause ?
Iv'e found some ok knives in la sirenia where they sell BBQ supplies.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

I agree 100 percent... why buy good knives to be used a can opener