Is 1 July the official date for reopening the tourism industry?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Turismo-1-de-julio-ADOMPRETUR.png

What’s the government waiting for? The Medina administration has published 1 July as the restart date for hotel and airport operations. Yet, the government has yet to issue the official clearance for airports and airlines to resume commercial operations. In a conversation with tourism industry writers in the Dominican Republic, Frank Rainieri, president of Puntacana Group, urged the government to act now.

Rainieri is optimistic the DR will soon recover. But he says lots will depend on the proactiveness the country shows, “starting by the government”. “We need to define if we are going to open or not. We can’t be left in limbo. If we are going to open, there are the protocols that need to be harmonized.” Rainieri says protocols need to be honed. “The protocols in effect for Heathrow can’t be the same that work in the Dominican Republic,” he said. “We need time to be able to tell...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I want to come, but i'm not getting on a long haul flight from the UK, we have the one of highest number of deaths in the world and 8000 new cases everyday now, just to dangerous to risk a flight full of people with this number of infections still happening. I also don't want to share buffet utensils with people from the USA they are also suffering a huge Covid19 crisis. I will wait and see if the pandemic is more under control at the end of year, far to soon for DR to be opening up to foreign tourists

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
So when will the flights commence from US ???
I am a covid survivor so Im good... will still protect myself.

Airlines in the US have come a long way and updating their safety practices and cleaning procedures extensively due to the public fear.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
TOURISM June 4, 2020 | 4:23 pm

Dominican Republic hotels will request an affidavit of health from their guests

A large majority of hotels in the Dominican Republic are ready to resume operations with a series of new regulations to guarantee the health of their guests and prevent the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In this sense, when hoteliers start operating again, they will ask their guests for affidavits of health, the luggage will go through a disinfection process, they will install sanitizing stations and cameras with thermal records.

The methods of serving food, drinks, and entertainment activities will also be seriously modified, as explained by the regional commercial director of the AMResorts chain, Luis Núñez Millán, during the discussion of how and when we will return to the beach resorts with the president of Travelwise travel agency, Laura Asilis, through Instagram.

He indicated that the buffets will be modified, where physical barriers (a glass) will be placed between the food and the customers, the restaurant tables will be separated by two meters and the a la carte and room services will be reinforced.

He added that, in the pools and on the beach, rules will be implemented to guarantee the physical distance between guests, the lounge chairs, or beach chairs will be placed at the recommended distances and the hotel staff will ensure that people keep their distance.

In addition, he explained that in the hotels there are “many” new implementations, but stressed that they will not be invasive so as not to disturb customers, according to Listin Diario.

He said that many hoteliers are ready to start operating and can reopen at any time because, during the emergency period, brigades of between 50 and 60 people have continued to maintain the facilities.

Núñez Millán emphasized that AMResorts hotels in the Dominican Republic will gradually begin reopening from June because “people are eager to go to a hotel and we are eager to serve them.”

He stressed that when tourism resumes operations, the support of the local market will be essential for the sector’s rapid recovery.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I can help to think that hotels and restaurants should have operated this way all along. Although I am aware that for restaurants, for example, it makes it almost impossible to survive.

Reactions: aarhus

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
How do you get one of these affiavit?

Get tested when you get closer to traveling.
For your peace of mind, it s good to know that you are not an asymptomatic carrier.
I don't know where you are located, but it s getting very easy to get tested now in the US. My children and I got tested and got the results in 48hr (they will email you the results).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Makes one wonder what such an affidavit of health will cost to tourists from the USA in particular when they are part of an elective medical screening. Just a CV 19 negative test, or some type of physical in addition? No idea what such things would cost.

My friends in upstate NY tried to get tested regarding CV-19 and never heard back from the government about it. What a surprise. Easy? Not for them.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Not so easy unfortunately where we are in the Western USA. Testing sites are hit or miss on availability/ location and have a limited number of tests. I will assume that as time goes on it will get easier. Should add that we are hoping to be back in DR in early August. Although I as well as spouse and son are citizens of the DR, I will wait until things (air travel,etc..) normalize a bit more before traveling.

Reactions: windeguy

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
For your peace of mind, it s good to know that you are not an asymptomatic carrier.
I don't know where you are located, but it s getting very easy to get tested now in the US. My children and I got tested and got the results in 48hr (they will email you the results).

A good Point.
Of course after being exposed in airports for departure and arrival and in the airplane, one should also get tested again after arrival.
Don't disregard the danger of infection while in the DR.
The bottom line at the moment is, don't expose yourself and travel unless you deem it absolutely essential.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have no idea how long it would take to get tested, receive the results and obtain an affidavit, but presumably by the time all that is done, and by the time you have set off for the DR, you will have had plenty of time to contract the virus.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
A good Point.
Of course after being exposed in airports for departure and arrival and in the airplane, one should also get tested again after arrival.
Don't disregard the danger of infection while in the DR.
The bottom line at the moment is, don't expose yourself and travel unless you deem it absolutely essential.

To be honest, I am pretty sure my weekly trip to go to the supermarket in NYC was riskier than any airports. But, I agree that the ideal would be to test passengers upon arrival and hope countries do so.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Makes one wonder what such an affidavit of health will cost to tourists from the USA in particular when they are part of an elective medical screening. Just a CV 19 negative test, or some type of physical in addition? No idea what such things would cost.

My friends in upstate NY tried to get tested regarding CV-19 and never heard back from the government about it. What a surprise. Easy? Not for them.

It s free by law. I am in NYC , I got tested this week along with my children by just walking into a walkin-clinic (nasal swab and blood for antibodies), we had no symptoms. It took 2 days to get the results. While there was no test in the city a while ago, at the moment it s available everywhere and I know many people who did get a test recently.

I am not aware of an affidavit , but I would think the test results would act as such granted that the test was completed within 2 weeks of traveling ?

Reactions: keepcoming

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
To be honest, I am pretty sure my weekly trip to go to the supermarket in NYC was riskier than any airports. But, I agree that the ideal would be to test passengers upon arrival and hope countries do so.

Same here, going to the supermarkets is always concerning, as not everyone is taking the pandemic seriously. In Atlanta, they have testing where you get results within 15 minutes. I'd like to see that (or a recent test result, say 48 hours prior to departure) as part of the security check, and nobody gets past screening unless their test comes up negative.

Reactions: Africaida

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I'm in London and you can only get a test if you have symptoms and the tests available have a 30% false negative results. Antibody tests are not available to the general public. guess that means no UK residents will be allowed to enter Republica Dominicana

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

How did you do that, go to a doctor?