Dominicans are listed 5th in numbers of new Spanish citizens

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Bandera-de-España-Wikipedia-e1591367159703.png

Some 5,363 Dominicans became Spaniards in 2019, according to the Spanish government. Its National Institute of Statistics (INE) reveals that 98,858 foreigners acquired the nationality in 2019. Of the total acquiring the Spanish nationality, 76,842 did so by first acquiring residency in Spain.

Latin Americans make up most of the new Spanish citizens. The top ten list of nationalized Spanish citizens is:Morocco (24,544), Ecuador (8,145), Colombia (7,512), Bolivia (7,404), the Dominican Republic (5,363), Peru (3,795), Cuba (3,090), Pakistan (3,048), Honduras (2,739) and Brazil (2,734).

Read more in Spanish:

INE

4 June 2020

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Unlike Dominicans, who for being Latin Americans qualify per Spanish law to apply for Spanish citizenship by living 2 consecutive years in Spain, non-Latinos like Moroccans need to live in Spain for a whopping 10 consecutive years before they are allowed to apply. Given that privilege that Dominicans qualify for basically being the creation of Spain, if you think about it, I'm surprised more Dominicans aren't taking advantage of it. Spanish citizenship opens many doors such as being able to travel to the USA without a visa, automatically Spanish citizenship makes a person a citizen of the European Union (can move to, work in, open bank accounts, etc in any member states without needing to, basically, ask permission) and a whost of other things.

On the other hand, any child born in Spain to Dominican parents who aren't Spanish citizens is born as a Dominican citizen and is required to be registered in a Dominican embassy or consulate. The child isn't born and automatically given Spanish citizenship, unlike in the USA where American citizenship is automatically given to everyone born within its borders, regardless the legal situation of their parents.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
On the other hand, any child born in Spain to Dominican parents who aren't Spanish citizens is born as a Dominican citizen and is required to be registered in a Dominican embassy or consulate. The child isn't born and automatically given Spanish citizenship, unlike in the USA where American citizenship is automatically given to everyone born within its borders, regardless the legal situation of their parents.
I am not 100% sure but I think to applies to all EU countries. At least in the Benelux.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Unlike Dominicans, who for being Latin Americans qualify per Spanish law to apply for Spanish citizenship by living 2 consecutive years in Spain, non-Latinos like Moroccans need to live in Spain for a whopping 10 consecutive years before they are allowed to apply. Given that privilege that Dominicans qualify for basically being the creation of Spain, if you think about it, I'm surprised more Dominicans aren't taking advantage of it. Spanish citizenship opens many doors such as being able to travel to the USA without a visa, automatically Spanish citizenship makes a person a citizen of the European Union (can move to, work in, open bank accounts, etc in any member states without needing to, basically, ask permission) and a whost of other things.

The advantages of free movement existing in the EU apply in theory to every citizen. In reality theses are mostly relevant to the cheap labor or to family reunions.
Dominican doctors, lawyers or CPA are still having it very hard to establish themselves in Europe.
Still, a Spanish passport is a nice-to-have, just for being able to go shopping to Madrid easily.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The advantages of free movement existing in the EU apply in theory to every citizen. In reality theses are mostly relevant to the cheap labor or to family reunions.
Dominican doctors, lawyers or CPA are still having it very hard to establish themselves in Europe.
Still, a Spanish passport is a nice-to-have, just for being able to go shopping to Madrid easily.
Not to just visit Madrid, but to go to all major cities in Europe and visit the USA and Canada without Visas.

Reactions: CaribeDigital

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Why ? You only need to go to Barcelona or Tenerife to see why .

I am trying to anatomize your statement, and keep coming up empty.
You responded to my posting with a question, and then answered your own question, which had nothing to do with my assertion. Odd.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I am trying to anatomize your statement, and keep coming up empty.
You responded to my posting with a question, and then answered your own question, which had nothing to do with my assertion. Odd.

Don’t bother to anatomize . It was rhetorical .

Reactions: Caonabo