Re-Opening : Is an Economic Tsunami coming ?

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
as many countries are planning their reopening of businesses, How do you think Dominican republic and Santa Domingo will adhere to the new rules?

How long until tourism returns to pre-Covid 🦠levels ? 💉

Many stores in the EU will never return sue to the loss, I can only imagine in DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do wish I could predict the future. I suspect almost everyone else does as well. I will see what happens.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
There is no hard and historic data to predict any kind of recovery.
All is speculative and subjective at best......... whatever happens will be the data future generations will use to support their hypothesis.

However whatever does happen in DR will be unique to DR and not a cookie cut plan from any other country.
First we need a local economy to increase in value including exports.
Then we need investors to consider DR as a good place to manufacture products in Tax Free zones. That means a blitz of visits to foreign Countries promoting DR .... it can be done!
For the next foreseeable future the Agriculture industry must expand....people have to eat, Rich or Poor.
Small farms should be encouraged to produce for the local consumption...not all the same thing.... but diversified products. This will take organization ....but.. quite doable.

DR should not peg its future on Tourism!
Tourism must become a Secondary Industry , not all the eggs in one basket.
Strong Micro Economics , will lead to a good base for Marco Economics....
Then Tourism becomes the bonus and not the end all ....
Not a simple solution , but quite doable, with Government,Organizations and Citizens working together it is very achievable.

Just so you understand I have worked in several 3rd and 4th World conditions and have seen tremendous turnaround from poverty to prosperity... there is a way!

This is my opinion, only and I have no intention to take this to debate... since this is once again quite ''subjective''...
If you have a plan then please post it.

Russell

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
All is speculative and subjective at best......... whatever happens will be the data future generations will use to support their hypothesis.

However whatever does happen in DR will be unique to DR and not a cookie cut plan from any other country.
Then we need investors to consider DR as a good place to manufacture products in Tax Free zones. That means a blitz of visits to foreign Countries promoting DR .... it can be done!
For the next foreseeable future the Agriculture industry must expand....people have to eat, Rich or Poor.
Small farms should be encouraged to produce for the local consumption...not all the same thing.... but diversified products. This will take organization ....but.. quite doable.

Not a simple solution , but quite doable, with Government,Organizations and Citizens working together it is very achievable.

Just so you understand I have worked in several 3rd and 4th World conditions and have seen tremendous turnaround from poverty to prosperity... there is a way!

This is my opinion, only and I have no intention to take this to debate... since this is once again quite ''subjective''...

Russell
And with Trump...etc trying to move out of China, the DR is much closer and much easier to control.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

Russell
Excellent

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, with almost :))) 2 little ones we will give it 2 years more to see if something in the right direction will happen (and some things come to the DR instead of China) to estimate if we stay or at last will go to Germany for better education and future for our children.

I am not very optimistic though, even if something will come to the DR, at the end "the same as always who will profit from it" will still do the same old BS with the people, keeping them dumb and making just enough to survive and buy their Brugal and Presidente while as usual the same inbred class is getting the high paid positions, the profit and etcetera etcetera.

So, 18 -24 months, if nothing appears on the Horizon, Germany, we come (Never thought that day will come but here we go). Next stop, Lake Constance. :)

Reactions: Russell and DonDimi

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
What changes do you notice in your day to day life ???

With a country so crowded ( cities) how will they enforce 6ft distancing ????

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Well, with almost :))) 2 little ones we will give it 2 years more to see if something in the right direction will happen (and some things come to the DR instead of China) to estimate if we stay or at last will go to Germany for better education and future for our children.

I am not very optimistic though, even if something will come to the DR, at the end "the same as always who will profit from it" will still do the same old BS with the people, keeping them dumb and making just enough to survive and buy their Brugal and Presidente while as usual the same inbred class is getting the high paid positions, the profit and etcetera etcetera.

So, 18 -24 months, if nothing appears on the Horizon, Germany, we come (Never thought that day will come but here we go). Next stop, Lake Constance. :)
Caribmike, there will always be the wealthy privileged at the end of the day. However, if this next couple of years is one of reconstruction of micro economies then there will be a stronger and larger middle-class demographic Target Population Description (TPD).... those are the people who earn and spend their money for their lifestyle.... They also own most of the small business enterprises... which in Canada and USA are the measure of a strong economy.
Having stated that, I cannot in good conscience argue your plan.... had it not been so difficult to move my Dominican Family to Canada I would have done so already...... education was my first concern, then the micro economy of where I live in Nova Scotia is very vibrant and fluid. But that is another thread.
I hope things do get better and that it all comes together ; but as positive as that seems , I may be wishing too hard for the best possible scenario.
Best of luck with your decisions.

Reactions: caribmike

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
What changes do you notice in your day to day life ???

With a country so crowded ( cities) how will they enforce 6ft distancing ????
Life has gone back to the way it was before, more or less. The main things that are not functioning are beaches, bars and restaurants, so daily working life is pretty much back to normal except for those people who work in and make use of those things.

Social distancing is not enforced in the streets, but is in places like banks, utility offices etc. Masks continue to be worn by most people in public where I live.

Reactions: Russell

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
With poor leadership, I expect a
very slow recovery. I just read an
article in Dominican Today earlier
this week high lighting the lack of a definitive protocols for secondary "tourist related" businesses to follow upon reopening.

Reactions: Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Other than fewer people in the streets , more with masks , there is an air of complacency about the place.
Expats have yet to surface in public but based upon social media seem to be fairing quite well.
The small MSE's are not yet selling clothing.... although unless leniency from landlords ; may have to shut down as they are not big revenue gatherers.
I bought a small chest freezer the other day for $13,400.ooDOP , it was a good deal and the Merchant seemed thrilled to sell something.
I hope folks come out of this with the arses still in their pants.
No doubt there will be casualties, there always are.
I took the time to hire the plumber for a day to upgrade things here.
Then installed two more A/C units for family bedrooms; as it is getting seemingly more warm than usual..... or that may be a phenomena as well
My life really has not changed too much; being a bit of a loner......
But, I am more anxious about visiting Canada in the not too distant future... not sure what that is all about.!!!

Oh well!
We trudge on with our lot in life.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
i see pics/vids on the ex gf wassap........partying in the streets with their bugal and apple juice, sucking hokahs like theres no tomorrow. Masks???? We dont need no stinkin masks.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Multiple post appearing as duplicates on
here today for some reason.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
i see pics/vids on the ex gf wassap........partying in the streets with their bugal and apple juice, sucking hokahs like theres no tomorrow. Masks???? We dont need no stinkin masks.

Silent stalker?