Best Italian Restaurant in Cabarete/Sosúa

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
David , What do you mean by Italian ? Pasta and Pizza or something more sophisticate Italian ?
Olly

Sep 22, 2009
Honestly, there is almost no authentic Italian. There are cross over places. My neighbor was Alfred whose son was the Pomodoro guy in Cab (Anthony?). He showed me techniques you will not find in Cab Sosua. You will not find Duck or Lamb Ragu, veal Milanese, chicken scarpariello, gnocchi al pesto, sugo all'amatriciana, focaccia or come close to a San Marzano tomato. What can you get? Bad proscuitto, poorly made mozzarella, american style lasagne and wanna be home made pasta.

Reactions: David B

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Best is a subjective term. Hard to apply to a whole restaurant. Perhaps if you tell us what meal you are looking for we can come up with the "best" we've had or heard about. Anyone can do pasta but not everyone can do a good lasagna for example.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
If you're looking for Carbonara the Italian guy across Jolly Rodger (forgot his name, he has a ponytail) makes the best Carbonara in the world. No joke.

Edit: I think his name is Mauricio.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Best is a subjective term. Hard to apply to a whole restaurant. Perhaps if you tell us what meal you are looking for we can come up with the "best" we've had or heard about. Anyone can do pasta but not everyone can do a good lasagna for example.

You're right. Maybe I should have said "What's your FAVORITE Italian restaurant in the Cabarete/Sosúa area?"

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If they are still open it is Bliss hands down. Owner and chef comes from the Piemonte region of Italy. He attended one of the foremost chefs schools in Italy. You won't get better Italian food anywhere in the DR.

I just found this so I assume it is open.

Reactions: Big and David B

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Elefante Rosa. Located on Pedro Clisante in front of the former Britannia. The female owner is from Italy. Excellent food and very inexpensive. Big portions.

Reactions: David B

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
You should try as many suggestions as possible and then make up your own mind. There are some of us that are used to real Italian cooking that is hard to find in places outside of Italy. Many north Americans are only familiar with the Italian food they are used to from their local restaurants which in most cases is not authentic Italian. Here in Sosua/Cabarete, if you want cheap and rustic, then go to Elefante Rosa. I have been there many times and never been disappointed. This is not the place to go for a romantic dinner though. Margot's pasta dishes are very good but I would not say that all of those dishes are 'authentic'. As some others have said, Bliss is excellent and is one of the few restaurants that I consider to be 'fine dining' (the other being Casa 21 which is my favorite restaurant for fine dining). Osteria Toscana in Sosua used to have delicious Italian dishes and was one of the few locations that had hand made pasta. I have not been there in a long time so maybe someone else can comment on this place.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Opinions and recommendations, please!

Sosua/Cabarete traditionally is German area of influence. Italians never were very welcome here. For a whole variety of true Italian restaurants and Italian atmosphere with a live high quality music/songs go to Boca Chica. For German sausage, stake and beer - to Sosua.

Sep 22, 2009
Sosua/Cabarete traditionally is German area of influence. Italians never were very welcome here. For a whole variety of true Italian restaurants and Italian atmosphere with a live high quality music/songs go to Boca Chica. For German sausage, stake and beer - to Sosua.
Yesterday evening ca. Boca Chica
Screenshot_20200805-150134.png