Presidency extends for another 25 days the curfew

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Palacio-Presidencial-PRESIDENCY-1024x576.jpg

Presidential Decree 298-20 extends the curfew that would have ended on Sunday, 9 August, for another 25 days. The curfew now expires on Wednesday, 2 September. The decree states that the curfew hours are subject to decisions to be made by the new government that takes office on 16 August 2020.

Curfew in the Dominican Republic is from:Monday to Friday from 7pm to 5am and Saturdays and Sundays from 5pm to 5am in:1) Santo Domingo 2) National District 3) Santiago 4) San Cristóbal; 5) La Vega 6) Puerto Plata 7) Duarte 8) San Pedro de Macorís 9) La Romana 10) San Juan de la Maguana 11) La Altagracia 12) Azua 13) Monseñor Nouel 14) Sánchez Ramírez and 15) María Trinidad Sánchez.

It is one hour less, from 8pm to 5am in:1) Espaillat 2) Peravia 3) Barahona 4) Monte Plata 5) Valverde 6) Hermanas Mirabal 7) Monte Cristi 8) Samaná 9) Bahoruco 10) Hato Mayor 11) El Seibo 12)...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I would support plans that are realistic and likely to have a positive effect on reducing the virus in this country while still allowing people to live their lives in a reasonable way. Employees, employers, and people in general are the ones spreading disease by not doing what they could to limit the spread. Until the population "gets with the program" and adopts virus mitigation as their overriding priority for everything they do, We will fail to lower the infection rate in this country. You just can't share and drink from the same rum bottle, you just can't sit at a table close enough to someone else that you can touch them. You certainly cannot share a shade tree sitting cheek to jowel on your moto waiting for the next fare. Even standing in a line somewhere most are unable to stay far enough apart. Standing still seems to be skill that isn't taught here.

These plans absolutely must include greatly expanded access to CV19 testing for everyone.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had hope for the new president? Time will tell.Only until the people take charge and stop acting like sheep,will anything happen.
During the election campaign, the PRM was asking for more severe restrictions. I have a friend in Chile who has to remain home except for 2 hours each week.
One hour to pay bills and another hour to shop for groceries. Colombia allows people out for one hour each week. Will the new President be like Florida or more like Colombia? People in the barrios are not paying attention to social distancing according to many reports in the DR.

You can only control people for so long.

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
Curfew only works if curfew is evenly enforced. I keep seeing reports of partying in the streets in certain barrios - in the city at least. How about start there before making curfew more restrictive?

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Curfew only works if curfew is evenly enforced. I keep seeing reports of partying in the streets in certain barrios - in the city at least. How about start there before making curfew more restrictive?
Maybe it will be harsher sanctions.

Reactions: ChelseaRose
Sep 22, 2009
That is not true. That is like saying masks only help if we all wear them. It's all a spectrum of risk. The more participation in preventative measures, the less risk. If half the people wore masks and half obeyed the curfew, it still is better than a bread basket. No?

Reactions: ChelseaRose

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
In the UK is is now pretty widely accepted that there can never be another full lockdown, because of the damage it has inflicted on the economy. Just to keep locking down and locking down has massive ramifications, particularly for a poor country like DR.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
That is not true. That is like saying masks only help if we all wear them. It's all a spectrum of risk. The more participation in preventative measures, the less risk. If half the people wore masks and half obeyed the curfew, it still is better than a bread basket. No?

Exactly- the more participation in preventative measures, the less risk. But it seems as if certain demographics do not understand (or do not care about) the ramifications of their actions (partying in the streets, not wearing masks or observing social distancing). They are putting themselves and also all of the people they come into contact with in harm's way because, unfortunately, their choices affect those around them - their parents and abuelos at home, their colleagues at work, their neighbors. Sometimes the needs of the greater community should take priority. And, at least in my mind, enforcing curfew is a simple and logical way to reinforce the needs of the communities here. It's also a greater picture issue about how little respect laws are given in this country (both at the top and bottom of the food chain). Why bother making curfew more restrictive if you're not going to enforce it?