Covid-19 travel insurance plan starts on 15 September

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
David-Collado-MITUR.jpeg

Tourism Minister David Collado announces the government is ready to start the travel and trip insurance plan to visitors this 15 September 2020. The Dominican government is paying. All short-stay tourists (non-resident foreigners) entering the country from 15 September to 31 December will be covered for Covid-19 infection.

The insurance is part of the Responsible Tourism Recovery Plan under the Ministry of Tourism. As part of the plan, non-invasive breathalyzer Covid-19 tests will be carried out randomly at Dominican airports. The breathalyzer uses new technology developed in Israel.

Collado says the Dominican Republic is the only country to offer free insurance. He says the ministry has also worked with hospitals in tourism destinations on the logistics for the handling of any Covid-19 cases. The first case detected in the Dominican Republic was that of an Italian tourist...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The article reads - any non-resident.... whereas it has been said that it applies to hotel guests only

I can't believe the gov't's plan will cover every single 'visitor' to the country

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
During your stay at a hotel it says. That does not mean at an apartment, your snobe beliere to wbird condo, or and Airbnb if these promotional images from the DR government be believed. This ends as the end of 2020. I suppose it could be extended.

Stay tuned for updates in the next week or two from Migracion (nod, nod--wink, wink) as well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The article reads - any non-resident.... whereas it has been said that it applies to hotel guests only

I can't believe the gov't's plan will cover every single 'visitor' to the country
Apparently it is for Hotel guests only. What a surprise that the focus would be on hotels , in particular short term stays at AI hotels, which were the huge money maker in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
During your stay at a hotel it says. That does not mean at an apartment, your snobe beliere to wbird condo, or and Airbnb if these promotional images from the DR government be believed. This ends as the end of 2020. I suppose it could be extended.

Stay tuned for updates in the next week or two from Migracion (nod, nod--wink, wink) as well.

That really got entered oddly. It should read.

During your stay at a hotel, it says. That does not mean at an apartment, your snowbird condo (or house), or and Airbnb if those promotional images from the DR government are correct.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dolores
Administrator

Staff member

Feb 20, 2019 6,194 393 63

Today at 6:22 AM

David-Collado-MITUR.jpeg

Tourism Minister David Collado announces the government is ready to start the travel and trip insurance plan to visitors this 15 September 2020. The Dominican government is paying. All short-stay tourists (non-resident foreigners) entering the country from 15 September to 31 December will be covered for Covid-19 infection.
================================================

The DR1 News reads differently
================

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All tourists or just hotel tourists? Time will tell until the end of the year.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I trust the stuff you posted....
DR1 news is just reporting and may have missed that

Your is 1st hand info --- not 2nd hand

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
I am so surprised they're offering this insurance without also requiring PCR tests before arrival. Wouldn't it make sense to weed out people traveling WITH COVID before offering to take care of them once they get here on the government's dime? I hope the government is also planning to pay all medical, accommodation and perhaps lost wages for the staff of these hotels who will inevitably end up with the COVID brought into the country by these tourists who aren't tested at the border.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect the hotels have to agree to certain cleanliness regulations and other etiquette issues
before being accepted

They need to fulfill their part to participate

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Is Ahnvee on the list of northern tier hotels offering this insurance program?
Do they meet the minimum standard requirements as put forth by the new administration?