Why the increase in blackouts?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Apagones-Diario-Libre.jpg

Several major generation plants have been on and off the grid, and this has caused frequent blackouts. As reported, over the weekend, the deficit in generation reached a high of 1,200 megawatts of the 2,461 MW demand.

The control center for the Interconnected Electricity System (SENI), the national grid, reported that by Monday, 21 September 2020, 98% of the demand for 2,461 megawatts was being dispatched to the grid by the generators. Power plants that are not generating at capacity are Punta Catalina, Los Mina, Itabo I, AES Los Minas, Haina Turbo Gas, La Vega Palamara and AES Andres.

El Dia reports that power utilities and generation companies blame each other for the blackouts. It appears again that arrears in government payments to the generators are behind the cuts in service. The Dominican Electrical Industry Association (ADIE) states that the power outages are caused by the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Lack of fuel and emergency maintenance which could not be postponed anymore.

They have run all generators hard to supply 24/7 luz during the pandemics.

Now the situation are improving as the current off line capacity slowly are being added during the next days

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One of the worst things ever done in this country was to have the power distribution controlled by the government.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
One of the worst things ever done in this country was to have the power distribution controlled by the government.
That is your second favorite theme, which we have discussed to death in another threads. Cheer up and enjoy cheap electric bills!

This is not a power distribution problem, the private generators are off grid

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That is your second favorite theme, which we have discussed to death in another threads. Cheer up and enjoy cheap electric bills!

This is not a power distribution problem, the private generators are off grid
Because of the incompetent management of and mere existence the EDE's the current, past and future issues exist with electricity.

My power is not bad compared to when I moved here going from a Class D to a Class A circuit a couple of years ago.
With the Class D circuit, power was on about 8 to 10 hours daily and had zero to do with any problems the generators
were having. Move to the present and this is all about the negative effect the EDE's have on those generators.

This month's bill is 5,015 RD.

Reactions: etolw

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Because of the incompetent management of and mere existence the EDE's the current, past and future issues exist with electricity.

My power is not bad compared to when I moved here going from a Class D to a Class A circuit a couple of years ago.
With the Class D circuit, power was on about 8 to 10 hours daily and had zero to do with any problems the generators
were having. Move to the present and this is all about the negative effect the EDE's have on those generators.

This month's bill is 5,015 RD.

Do you run a lot of AC? My bill, without any AC, is $800 RD/month.

Reactions: JD Jones

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Have you considered sleeping with your windows open? I do and my bill normally runs like 1600 pesos.
Large fans and no AC, garden with quite some lights though.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are your A/C's inverter type? What temp is it set at?
Yes they are fairly new TGM and KTC inverters. The 9,000 BTU KTC is set at 23C/73.4F
My studio is a balmy 28C/82F with an 18,000 BTU TGM.

I have checked and nobody is tapped into my power.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Have you considered sleeping with your windows open? I do and my bill normally runs like 1600 pesos.
Large fans and no AC, garden with quite some lights though.
I would but my wife will never do that. It is what it is. And it really is not a problem for me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have noticed that when I call someone a moron, service level tend to be less than ideal
After 17 years of dealing with them, it is what it is.

I do not actually use those words in direct conversations with Edenorte personnel, since I am only talking to phone support people who have little effect on the outcome and not Edenorte management.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yes they are fairly new TGM and KTC inverters. The 9,000 BTU KTC is set at 23C/73.4F
My studio is a balmy 28C/82F with an 18,000 BTU TGM.

I have checked and nobody is tapped into my power.
Try setting them at 78-79 degrees for a few days. The cooler you set them, the harder they work.

• Haha
Reactions: etolw