Abinader announces new programs to fight gender violence

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-Violencia-de-Genero-Presidencia-1024x576.jpeg

President Luis Abinader dedicated time on Tuesday, 22 September to call for increased awareness on femicides. He called for all to join the government in a renewed effort to end this national tragedy. He announced the installation of 12 new shelters and the renovation of three others. He announced women in conditions of social and economic vulnerability that have been victims of gender violence will receive the assistance of RD$10,000 a month.

The Abinader administration focuses on preventing, caring, respecting the rights of the victims and penalizing violence against women, as it takes firm steps to implement new programs. The new programs to be developed contemplate a commitment to zero tolerance to violence against women. Abinader said violence against women here is a manifestation of the macho culture.

President Abinader spoke about government...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I’m still skeptical and always will be. However, this is excellent news. There is more work to be done in regards to this issue, but least it’s on their radar.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Off-topic post removed. Please keep all contributions on topic if you want this thread to remain open.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
10,000 a month guaranteed?
I expect to see many women
taking advantage of this opportunity.
Especially the large ones who
lounge around all day in barrios.
a.k.a. The Jabas

Indeed. It's a very short hop from temporary assistance to lifetime (and generational) entitlement.

From the article..."Women Minister Mayra Jiménez assured that 68% of women have been victims of violence throughout their life cycle." Statements offered as fact - such as this one - should include a source citation.

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
$10,000.00dop. per month just to say you are a victim (naturally without proof or confirmation of a friend). You need to hire more people because you have now opened the flood gates through out every barrio woman in the country!

Reactions: CristoRey

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Can a man claim to be victim and apply for the $10.000 too? What I'm asking is; can a married couple get into a fight and both parties claim to be victims, so the household gets $20.000?

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Just saying that this week I have witnessed a sad story unfolding in the barrio here. Man abused and victim big time, false accusations of violence and child abuse. Not all lives matter, unfortunately.

This time the police did not believe the mother, or was bribed enough
Guy still sees his child's and have a place to stay.

PN much more honest later years.

Thanks PN

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I have never before in my life been hit as hard by women as here in the DR when they feel they owe you one, or try to get something out of the relationship before it is to late.

No regrets though, some hits justified and some understandable seen by their view.

But do not underestimate the strength of DR women

Reactions: aarhus

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Nor should we underestimate the amount of domestic violence and femicide that occurs in the Dominican Republic. Regardless of Jabas, regardless of how tough Dominicanas are, regardless of any and all of that, this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I am
not advocating for the Abinader plan and I don’t think it will effectively tackle it. At all.

https://pathssk.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/vaw-prevalence-matrix-20111.pdf

https://evaw-global-database.unwomen.org/en/countries/americas/dominican-republic

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
What I consider more important, although both are very important, are a program to enforce the bastards to pay child support.
Not to derail an important thread, but just saying

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have never before in my life been hit as hard by women as here in the DR when they feel they owe you one, or try to get something out of the relationship before it is to late.

No regrets though, some hits justified and some understandable seen by their view.

But do not underestimate the strength of DR women
I´ve explained how unpredictable and dangerous these women
can be to many foreigners. Especially the idiots who fly in from
abroad for the sole purpose of ¨meeting¨ them. Abuse towards
women is pretty common here but based on what I´ve seen and
witnessed living in different parts of this country from the campos
to the barrios, I´d say a lot (not all) of them bring it upon themselves.
No one is above an *ss whipping and that´s just a fact of life.

Reactions: JD Jones

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No doubt some of these girls can be tough.... really tough

After reading this this AM....
I saw one girl w/ a black eye and another w/ two.......all in a couple of hours

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
No doubt some of these girls can be tough.... really tough

After reading this this AM....
I saw one girl w/ a black eye and another w/ two.......all in a couple of hours
The girls occasionally fight with other girls, so the black eye is not necessary a mans fault

I lived in several barrios here, but now when I might be considered to old to wanderin the streets with a machete, I settled for a more peaceful environment to sleep.

I go for the enterteinment though at times, and visit friends.

But when they start to throw empty Presidente bottles, I now call it the day. I have seen that before. The crowd always finds it amusing although.