Allowed USD cash amount per Person when leaving DR

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

I did not find clear info, so, my question:

How much is the allowed cash USD amount a person is allowed to carry when leaving the DR by plane?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I believe its $10,000
in or out. Same as USA.
I know people who´ve
had their cash seized
by Uncle Sam upon arrival
and the amount was about
half that. They´ll hold it until
you can provide proof of it
being clean and legal. It´s
not a quick process.If you are
moving this money to the USA,
I would do a wire transfer or
look at what the other options
are available before bringing
in cash.

Reactions: caribmike

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I try to avoid Uncle Sam when going home to Europe due to the hassle with security and immigration checks.
Fair enough last time I went that route all was surprisingly smooth, just waved through after briefly they looked at the passport/ESTA number.

But there has been visits resembling Inquisición española before letting me enter. First time that took me by surprise.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
You can bring any amount as long as you declare it! And saying you have been saving a million dollars in mattress for yrs won’t work IMHO.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you can bring from DR to BRD as much money in cash or by money transfer as you want.
but everything 10KUS ahead(or the equivalent in Euro or other currencies all conted together) you have to declare to customs on arrival for the cash or with the receiving bank prior to get access to the cash.
advise your receiving bank prior to sendingthe money, they will tell you which paperwork they wanna see, so you are prepared and have everything in order hassle freewhen your moeny wire/transaction arrives.

Reactions: caribmike and etolw

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Leaving DR, DR customs won't ask?
the amount allowed to cary is intl the same, the equivalent of $9.999.-US
and for each country you have to show the same proof of origen ofthat money if anything over that sum is declared.
yes,
DR Customs want tosee the same proof, they try to not allow illegal moneyto leave the country the same way your destination country try's their best tonnot let such moneys in.
so yes, when they see your money, they will "ask" (how much is theirs, maybe, lol)

Reactions: CristoRey

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I haven't done this when leaving the DR but I have declared over $10K when leaving my home country. Customs directs you to the office to fill out a declaration form. which they then stamp and authorize. Upon arrival at the destination your should have filled out the customs form on the plane indicating more than $10K. If asked about the money you have the currency export form from the origin country. It is when you do not declare a wad of money that a customs agent can feel it necessary to probe further. In the US it's not supposed to be an issue under $10K in total for all holdings upon entry, but as we all know, it doesn't take much to stumble into the rabbit hold that is customs and immigration if you get screened by the wrong agent having a bad day or fail to declare your cash holdings and are found to be carrying a suspiciously large amount of cash without good reason. I don't know what happens here in the DR if you inform customs that you have more than the limit in cash with you. Best to have the deposit withdrawal slip from the bank in the DR in case you need it or as others have suggested do a wire transfer and collect your cash when you arrive at your destination. Getting USD out of the the DR and many other countries can be difficult especially these days. See the thread about USD deposits being held for 15 days. I would not be surprised at all if a large wire transfer out of the country is denied.

Lots of countries try very hard to hold on to their USD cash reserves and have rules about leaving with large amounts. Some even have an issue with large USD transfers out of the country. Best not to bring large amounts of cash here or amass a large amount of cash in the first place. Bring in what you need and no more than you can afford to leave behind if things don't work out as you think they should. .

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Also, I think it's not 10,000 per individual but "head of family." So if two members of a family want to take out 10,000 each they would have to travel separately.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct..... a family cannot 'split' the money

I actually declared once - into Canada after selling a car

The agent was ticked..... suggested I needn't bother doing it again
I had about $11-12k with me.....
He hated the paperwork

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Not concerned about entering into Germany, my concern is leaving the DR with cash and the General you know does not pick up the phone when you need her... :D

Entering into Germany the allowance is 9,999 Euro per person, not family or group.

"Importing cash to Germany per person means here, by the way: If there are two of you traveling, the cash must be distributed accordingly. This can be particularly important when traveling by air. If the permitted cash for two people is only in the hand luggage of one of the travelers, the entire cash will be allocated to this person. You must therefore distribute the permitted cash appropriately among the hand luggage."

But anyway, since we leave in 15 - 18 months I will use transferwise to transfer twice a month or such until then, so not a one-time big transfer...