Future Ex New Yorker

qphotonyc

Aug 28, 2020
USA
Hola todos
I'm a retired paramedic with a lot of relatives in RD. I've been coming and going there since 1985, many visits and road trips all around the place from Samana to Barahona. Anyway, I'm thinking about giving up my walk up apartment here and moving there. My question is should I plan on applying for residency and if so, should I begin the process here in NY or there in the Capital? Do I need to hire a lawyer (I would be applying as a pensioneer)?
Thx
Q

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Hola todos
I'm a retired paramedic with a lot of relatives in RD. I've been coming and going there since 1985, many visits and road trips all around the place from Samana to Barahona. Anyway, I'm thinking about giving up my walk up apartment here and moving there. My question is should I plan on applying for residency and if so, should I begin the process here in NY or there in the Capital? Do I need to hire a lawyer (I would be applying as a pensioneer)?
Thx
Q
i would live here first for a year to see if you like then you can start the process...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The process needs to start in your country.... then you continue here.
Being a pensioner simplifies it a lot... and it's faster

I always use a lawyer... some don't - how's your Spanish?

There is a new 120 stay program if you feel you want to 'test the water'
But since 1985 is your initiation..... I expect you' know if you're ready

Reactions: etolw

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Without exception the residency process starts at the DR consulate in your home country. You should start there. If your Spanish is good you can do the paperwork yourself but it is a bureaucracy and a competent lawyer can make the process less intensive for first time applicants.

You'll get lots of opinions on the need for residency. Those who it obtain are of one mindset those who have not think differently. It's up to you and your comfort level. Do you wish to live here legally or are you prepared to maybe someday encounter difficulty getting a drivers license, maintaining a bank account, or dealing with some other govt. department or the legal system. If you are legal you don't have to worry about that at least.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hola todos
Thx
Q

I don't know much about the residency process but , as a practical advice, if you can, I would NOT give up the apartment in NYC. If you have kids or friends, it s comforting to know that you have a place to stay in your former home, or if you simply want to take a break from DR. If worse comes to worse, if you have a change of mind after a few years, you won't be "stuck" in DR.

qphotonyc

Aug 28, 2020
USA
Thanx all! I'll get in touch with the Consulate here then and hopefully meet some of you when I get down there next year.
Cheers, Q