Vacationing in the DR & Covid

Do you plan to vacation in the DR?

• What? I already went to the DR with Covid and all. I’ll wait for Covid to calm down before returning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What? I already went... I will be back before the year is over.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Yes, I’m planning a trip before the year is over.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Yes, once the Covid situation calms down.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No, the Covid situation put an end to that.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Explain in a post below)

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Now that Covid has been around for quite a few months, do you plan to vacation in the DR?

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
i am hoping to return in November for two weeks.....i was there in March and returned to the New York on the 12th march just before shut down

BogieMaker

Nov 18, 2009
Have spent the last two winters on the north coast. I am struggling with why I should go again this winter. Airbnb prices are pretty good but the curfew and the chance of getting Covid far from home make it a tough decision.

Reactions: slowmo

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I have spent the last 10 winters in RD but not this year, see how things are in 2021

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Nah, if the covid in Europe calms down, I might take a vacation over there next summer

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since we live here since 2003 and rent apartments, I don't vacation here. There is virtually zero interest from Airbnb at this time , but that happened long before CV19.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I have had several who wants to rent our little studio. I have told them to go elsewhere where they can rent for 190usd/month, although with less security and water/electricity.

It is a renters market, and I would like quality renters. Otherwise, I do not need the money, furtunately.

Until the last renter had to go back to Brazil due to covid, no problem with occupation

Did you derail the thread again Windy?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Have spent the last two winters on the north coast. I am struggling with why I should go again this winter. Airbnb prices are pretty good but the curfew and the chance of getting Covid far from home make it a tough decision.
DR right now has about a 30% positivity rate of infection, that's pretty high. New York is under 1% and they still don't allow indoor dining or large public gatherings. well except for protests.

Reactions: thompstr

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
DR right now has about a 30% positivity rate of infection, that's pretty high. New York is under 1% and they still don't allow indoor dining or large public gatherings. well except for protests.
Remember, they are almost only testing those they think are going to be positive when they have few tests at hand, or... :unsure:

Reactions: NanSanPedro

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
M
1600972081828.png

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Since they aren't changing the curfew to a vacation person's hours of fun - My advice to anyone thinking of coming to DR this year - wait until fall of 2021, because it is currently very boring here, unless you are a monger just looking to hole up for the night

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
About 30:00 in the video David Collado, Minister of Tourism, clearly states that the Dominican middle class will have access to loans destined in the Dominican financial system for financing vacation stays at any of the country's resorts. These loans are interest free and should be paid back within 6 or 12 months. The purpose is the reactivation of tourism via internal demand in these Covid crisis times.

I have no idea if permanent expats qualify for these loans too.

Reactions: etolw

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
About 30:00 in the video David Collado, Minister of Tourism, clearly states that the Dominican middle class will have access to loans destined in the Dominican financial system for financing vacation stays at any of the country's resorts. These loans are interest free and should be paid back within 6 or 12 months. The purpose is the reactivation of tourism via internal demand in these Covid crisis times.

:unsure: Can a single Dominican women apply for such a loan? And bring a guest? If so she would be attractive for expats residents now hit by their declines in airbnb rental income. Expats residents need a break too:giggle:

Feb 7, 2007

I think you are mixing two things. Reservations and loans. Not everyone has 20k laying around to pay straight out for a 2 or 3 night stay at a resort l, especially with this crisis. So doing a reservation and applying for loan are two different things. Doing a reservation is not subject to applying for a loan. The rooms will be distributed through local travel wholesalers or directly by hotels and for those who cannot pay, there will be a bank loan available at no interest rate. I don't see a reason/need why residents would need to apply for a loan.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Since they aren't changing the curfew to a vacation person's hours of fun - My advice to anyone thinking of coming to DR this year - wait until fall of 2021, because it is currently very boring here, unless you are a monger just looking to hole up for the night

Mr. Bill, I will have to wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion.
While it may be "very boring" for a particular type of visitor that tends to be drawn towards the northern tier (aka whoremongers), or late night frequenters of discotheques seeking product (whatever that product might be), this does not describe ALL tourists.
How would golfers find this to be "very boring"? The conditions are actually perfect for them right now.
Beautiful weather.
Less crowding.
Easier tee times.
For the golf enthusiast, here is a perfect example of a daily schedule......
Early to rise (curfew is lifted daily at 5am).
Nice healthy breakfast.
Tee off 7-8am, roughly.
Nice hearty lunch.
Relax at beach or pool of choice mid afternoon, with ice cold Presidentes. Beat the afternoon heat.
Pepare for a nice sunset dinner, with evening cocktails.
Early to bed.
Repeat schedule.
This is a golfer's dream. Especially those from northern nations which will be seeing their seasons change soon, and golfing schedules altered.
This is just one example of the type of tourists that exist, and would not find RD to be "very boring".
And for the record, golfers are usually not frugal while on vacation either.