How do I buy, and pay for, a car here with funds from the U.S.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In November I want to buy a car here and pay for it from a US bank. What are the problems associated with this transaction? I assume it is easier if I buy from a dealer vs a private seller? Si O no? Further complication is I do not have a bank account here. How do I make this transaction easy? Am I overthinking this? All suggestions welcome.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If you trust the dealer you can do a bank transfer to his account. But since you don't have a bank, you probably are kind of a newbie - why not search for a long term rental for a few months and get settled in

• Haha
Reactions: etolw

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you trust the dealer you can do a bank transfer to his account. But since you don't have a bank, you probably are kind of a newbie - why not search for a long term rental for a few months and get settled in
RE; matter of trust . I don't trust anyone so you can see my reason for his post. In addition, with me having frequent trips back and forth to US I don't want to set off any alarm bells. LOL. I know that is probably a little over the top but I'm all in on ...no stress, no problems.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
use your debit or credit card from your US accounts and get cash withdrawals up to your daily limits. It may take a few days to get the total you want to spend. When you have what you need take your big wad of cash and go buy the car you want. Give the dealer the money ,fill out the paperwork to transfer the title and drive the car home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RE; matter of trust . I don't trust anyone so you can see my reason for his post. In addition, with me having frequent trips back and forth to US I don't want to set off any alarm bells. LOL. I know that is probably a little over the top but I'm all in on ...no stress, no problems.
Or
bring it in $9999 at a time every 3 weeks

Reactions: chico bill

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In November I want to buy a car here and pay for it from a US bank. What are the problems associated with this transaction? I assume it is easier if I buy from a dealer vs a private seller? Si O no? Further complication is I do not have a bank account here. How do I make this transaction easy? Am I overthinking this? All suggestions welcome.
It gives you the whole month of October to open an account on paradise island, is that a good idea?

• Haha
Reactions: etolw and cavok

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
I wired funds to my lawyer and he paid dealer.

Reactions: cavok

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Or
bring it in $9999 at a time every 3 weeks
LOL. I suspect they have seen that "trick" before. Like before I was born. And when they add my other pocket where I have my cab fare they will say I lied on declaration form. jinijnijij

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
If your buying a car here it tells me you have an intention of staying or coming here for a long time. Therefore its best that you give in and go thru the torture of opening a DR bank accounts USD and pesos because you will always run into problems/complication without this.
Be-careful buying a car here, things are not always like they appear! That is from the dealer/vendor and the registration/title to the vehicle its self.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I agree with most of the advice you have been given so far. When we first got here we planned on doing everything by the book. Things changed.

We bought our car in 08 from a tour rep that had enough. Car had a clear title and we paid cash and she was gone. She left before we could transfer it in our names so we just keep getting the marbete and driving it. It's now running on a duct tape and haywire but it's still running. If it makes another season I will be very happy and push for more.

If you go the dealer route you can etransfer from your home accounts daily until you get to the total amount. Include title transfer, tax and all the other dealer fees in the contract and you should be good.

If all that fails I can sell you a 2007 car really really cheap.

• Haha
Reactions: drstock and etolw

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If your buying a car here it tells me you have an intention of staying or coming here for a long time. Therefore its best that you give in and go thru the torture of opening a DR bank accounts USD and pesos because you will always run into problems/complication without this.
Be-careful buying a car here, things are not always like they appear! That is from the dealer/vendor and the registration/title to the vehicle its self.
You're so right about "the torture of opening a DR bank account". I posted about this in another tread back in Jan or Feb (?). I was so turned off by the meeting I had with the bank here in JD that I thought of all the simple ways to do without an account .Now that I have been here for 9 months I see that it would be a bit easier living with some of "problems of banking" rather than not have an account. This car transaction is a perfect example of that. I am planning on moving forward with some type of residency visa along with, of course, the bank account.

• Haha
Reactions: etolw

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I do not how you slip money through the net of Uncle Sam. But many on this forum had great success finding good cars by using local expertise. Was it @Gorgon some had used, do not remember exact. Google is your fren...

N.B I read on this dorum rhat opening a banc account not neccesray is a torture, just saying...

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
I brought in more than $10K before. It was is Swiss francs. The form I declared said are you bringing in more than $10K US. I declared no. Wasn't a lie.
It usually states something like: "In U.S. Currency or Equivalent", meaning if for example it's in DOP , etc., when converted.