Claro TV and Internet Account and Installation

tripp789

May 4, 2018
We recently bought a condo in Cabarete and are looking to get Claro HD TV and Internet installed. Here in the USA this is a simple process and can be set up online. Looking at Claro's website, i can't get beyond a certain step as I don't have a Cedula.

Any tips or advice on how to make this happen from the US, or do I have to wait until we get there ( and wait in line at a Claro booth, ugh...)? We're only there for a week to finish up with the work going on. Also, can I set up a credit card payment for the account once set up?

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I have been forced to go to Claro Puerto Plata twice. Both times for setting up/changing the contract. Was no other option I was told. They will use your passport/number as ID. It was a nightmare then for an impatient person as me, I have heard that it can be worse now after covid. I believe I waited about an hour and half before it was my turn.

I pay the bills online with local credit card. Do not know about foreign cards.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Claro has an online chat service on their page. How is your spanish? Also relevant FAQ on their support page, Google translated one answer for you

You can also register Visa and Mastercard credit cards from third parties or from international banking institutions; in this case, a minimum charge (refundable) will be sent and a four-digit numeric code will be attached that must be used in the Mi Claro application to validate the card.
Note: American Express cards are excluded in this process.

Good luck

tripp789

May 4, 2018
Claro has an online chat service on their page. How is your spanish? Also relevant FAQ on their support page, Google translated one answer for you
My Spanish is pretty basic at this point. I would probably screw it up! Perhaps Google Tanslate could assist. I do have a Mi Claro account I set up after getting Claro sim cards for some old iPhones we have. Perhaps this will help.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
We recently bought a condo in Cabarete and are looking to get Claro HD TV and Internet installed. Here in the USA this is a simple process and can be set up online. Looking at Claro's website, i can't get beyond a certain step as I don't have a Cedula.

Any tips or advice on how to make this happen from the US, or do I have to wait until we get there ( and wait in line at a Claro booth, ugh...)? We're only there for a week to finish up with the work going on. Also, can I set up a credit card payment for the account once set up?
Having no cedula will be a we bit of problem for you as they won’t allow you premium service at first, FYI

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was eventually successful many years ago but it took several trips to Claro main office in Puerto Plata. Passport needed and the contract was for 18 months. Claro is not the easiest to deal with. Consider using a local cable company for your TV and internet. Maybe more expensive but less hassel and stress usually. Maybe Delancer services your area. Windeguy can point you to the cable company that services Cabarete that he used or maybe still uses I'm not sure which.

It helps to have a Dominican of status with you when at Claro to help translate and smooth the process. Such as a lawyer or your immigration person. Claro really doesn't like issuing contracts to nonresidents. Or at least that was their position in the past when I was dealing with them.

Reactions: La Profe_1

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
If I remember correctly, you have to show 6 mos. of recent bank statements showing that you have money coming in and you will have no problem paying.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
No cedula no fiber optics high speed from Claro to many gringos and expats took off or failed to pay once given service.
You can get low speed and work your trust level up that way takes 1 or 2 yrs

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will almost certainly be enjoying your trips to Puerto Plata.

I used to have Claro DSL when I moved in 2003. It ran slow but was just enough for years to stream video. Then one day my speed dropped and it was useless..
I called to find out why. They said I was too far from the Central Station and the speed I had
Neither I nor the Central Station had moved.

I signed up for internet with Cable Del Norte the next day. Cable Del Norte is much more expensive than
CLARO's fiber service. So I call CLARO, despite my reservations, on occasion to see when they will be avalable
with fiber service where I live. For years now they say, "I don't know". I reply, "If you don't, who does?" And I am in Cabarete.
These people really are dumb as rocks.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No cedula no fiber optics high speed from Claro to many gringos and expats took off or failed to pay once given service.
You can get low speed and work your trust level up that way takes 1 or 2 yrs
Now there is a benefit to being a resident I was not aware of. :cool:

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Now there is a benefit to being a resident I was not aware of. :cool:
Unless you just change the name on the contract from the previous owner, then you get the same services that they had...

Very happy with Claro, even when the last storms passed and I needed to start the generator, running for 30 hours. Internet I had, with promised speed

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Unless you just change the name on the contract from the previous owner, then you get the same services that they had...

Very happy with Claro, even when the last storms passed and I needed to start the generator, running for 30 hours. Internet I had, with promised speed
No they won’t allow that either!

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
No they won’t allow that either!
Ok, but they allowed me to continue the previous owners contract. That is a fact.

Shit Happens, errors everywhere!

But I am not going back to complain!

You did not call them imbesils as Windy did by any chance?

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Ya smokin off crack pipe again?
Nope, beer tasting session. Crack heads tend to answer different using words like, Ya

Ohh, it is good to feel like a teenager again, even though I have to pay for it tomorrow

Ya wanna fight 😛

I think I need to beg the moods for another 3 months vacation. The forum is unhealthy for me

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ok, but they allowed me to continue the previous owners contract. That is a fact.

Shit Happens, errors everywhere!

But I am not going back to complain!

You did not call them imbesils as Windy did by any chance?
They are morons and imbeciles, truth be told.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was eventually successful many years ago but it took several trips to Claro main office in Puerto Plata. Passport needed and the contract was for 18 months. Claro is not the easiest to deal with. Consider using a local cable company for your TV and internet. Maybe more expensive but less hassel and stress usually. Maybe Delancer services your area. Windeguy can point you to the cable company that services Cabarete that he used or maybe still uses I'm not sure which.

It helps to have a Dominican of status with you when at Claro to help translate and smooth the process. Such as a lawyer or your immigration person. Claro really doesn't like issuing contracts to nonresidents. Or at least that was their position in the past when I was dealing with them.
I have only one option where I am for fiber connection: Cable Del Norte. More expensive than CLARO, but CLARO is not an option despite being less than a 1,000 meters from me, and I think CLARO only offers a Dominican IP address which might cause me issues. Cable Del Norte offers a US IP address option. The choice of IP address might be important to some.