Dengue toll: 70% less cases so far this 2020

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Dengue-mosquito-Flickr.jpg

Ministry of Public Health statistics indicate there have been over 3,500 cases reported so far this year. This is 70% less than last year when there were over 11,000 cases and 83 deaths. Most of the dengue victims so far this year have been children. The dengue virus is spread by the same mosquito that transmits malaria.

Strangely, while dengue cases are down, malaria cases are up by 30%, with 711 cases so far.

As reported in Listin Diario, all the attention has been on the Covid-19 virus. The Public Health efforts to “sanitize” different areas have probably helped reduce some of the mosquito population. But the authorities alert people to avoid the storage of uncovered water and puddles of water accumulating in gardens and houses that could serve as breeding grounds for mosquitos. The authorities call for constant efforts to remove rubbish where water could accumulate.

Read...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As you know, before this current storm season, RD was suffering from drought like conditions within many regions, assisting in keeping the pesky critter populations down.
The heavy rains of the last two months have marked a return of our old unfriendly neighbors.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As you know, before this current storm season, RD was suffering from drought like conditions within many regions, assisting in keeping the pesky critter populations down.
The heavy rains of the last two months have marked a return of our old unfriendly neighbors.
I've had it twice in 8 years.
First time caught it south of
Nagua in the campo near the
rice fields. Second time was
Sosua when they had that out
break in 2013. I don't care to
catch it a third time.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I've had it twice in 8 years.
First time caught it south of
Nagua in the campo near the
rice fields. Second time was
Sosua when they had that out
break in 2013. I don't care to
catch it a third time.

I had it in Sosua in 2013 as well. I had lost more than 20 lbs and stayed at CMC for 2 nights. Took a good 4 weeks to recover. Worse pain that I can remember having.

Reactions: CristoRey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are those of you who’ve had dengue aware that a study in Brazil seems to indicate it may give you some immunity against Covid? I’ve never had it, but Mr AE had a bad case a few years ago

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
bought @ ferretería 15 yards of screen material only 250 pesos, plus 2 rolls of duct tape, 1 scissors, = 5 windows now with screens. A MUST