Crowds over the weekend could revert Covid-19 downward trends

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Turismo-local-Turismo-Global-e1601385054474.jpg

The Ministry of Public Health has said the Covid-19 virus is “under control” in the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic right now is enjoying “the first flattening of the curve.” Yet, it takes but two weeks for the spread of the virus to spring back. Online videos are showing thousands of people gathering in violation of curfew and at resorts now open to domestic tourism all around the country.

The hot summer weather is driving people to the beaches. The mayor of the 4-km long Boca Chica beach to the east of the capital city, Mayor Fermín Brito promises the authorities will do better to control agglomerations. He says the city government will work closely with the Armada (Navy), the Tourism Police (Cestur) and the Police to ensure that people keep physical distance and wear masks at the beach. He made the statement when interviewed for El Nuevo Diario TV...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unfortunately that is what has to happen if the country wishes to keep infection numbers from increasing. Curfew or no curfew, gatherings or no gatherings, the logistics of slowing the spread of this virus are very simple and straight forward to understand. People have to stay apart from each other one way or another. Some do this on their own, others need to be forced into compliance.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
People have to stay apart from each other one way or another. Some do this on their own, others need to be forced into compliance.
Nobody needs to be forced to do anything.
People need to get out and start living again.
If you disagree then I recommend you and the
rest of these Covid freaks continue to shelter
in place. Its time to flatten the fear people.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Nobody needs to be forced to do anything.
People need to get out and start living again.
If you disagree then I recommend you and the
rest of these Covid freaks continue to shelter
in place. Its time to flatten the fear people.
You didn't learn anything when the hospitals almost collapsed the first time? I guess that's the covid freaks pretending the hospitals were at 90% capacity back in August.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Unfortunately that is what has to happen if the country wishes to keep infection numbers from increasing. Curfew or no curfew, gatherings or no gatherings, the logistics of slowing the spread of this virus are very simple and straight forward to understand. People have to stay apart from each other one way or another. Some do this on their own, others need to be forced into compliance.

Sick persons, and those with pre-existing health conditions that the China Virus can seize upon, should isolate and contain themselves.
Others, should consider beginning to live healthier lifestyles for long term gains/results.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The only way to get the positive case number down is to quit testing. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. What on earth do health officials think will happen if they test more and more people prior to a vaccine. It won't go down.

I agree with both CristoRey and Caonabo. Get out there and start living but protect the vulnerable who are prone to severe sickness or death. The world didn't stop for another virus this should be treated any different.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
The only way to get the positive case number down is to quit testing. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. What on earth do health officials think will happen if they test more and more people prior to a vaccine. It won't go down.

I agree with both CristoRey and Caonabo. Get out there and start living but protect the vulnerable who are prone to severe sickness or death. The world didn't stop for another virus this should be treated any different.
How can you protect the vulnerable when the asymptomatics don't know they have it? This is the very reason why the curfew is important

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

I agree but would add to protect the risk averse. People like CG have legit fears and should be allowed to protect themselves.

Reactions: melphis

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How can you protect the vulnerable when the asymptomatics don't know they have it? This is the very reason why the curfew is important
There is no perfect solution. All the people I know that are vulnerable take extra precautions. I don't see the point in destroying whole economies for a virus. People did die from viruses every day till covid came along. Now it seems that covid is the only thing killing people if you listen to the media.

It would be nice if the officials and media could actually report the truth but we all know that will never happen.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
There is no perfect solution. All the people I know that are vulnerable take extra precautions. I don't see the point in destroying whole economies for a virus. People did die from viruses every day till covid came along. Now it seems that covid is the only thing killing people if you listen to the media.

It would be nice if the officials and media could actually report the truth but we all know that will never happen.
Its very simple. If you lose your hospitals, clinics, etc the damage would take years to recover from instead of one. Feel the pain now in order to be ok later.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Its very simple. If you lose your hospitals, clinics, etc the damage would take years to recover from instead of one. Feel the pain now in order to be ok later.

Can't agree. We are not losing hospitals. Field hospitals for emergencies can be used if needed. As I stated before, if Haiti can make them work, which they did for the cholera epidemic, then the rest of the world can make them work for the Wuhan flu.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Totally agree with NanSanPedro. I also think the reason why we saw hospitals overloaded and politicians screaming for 30,000+ ventilators was panic and nothing more.
Even once a vaccine is available its not going to be 100%. None ever are. It will help slow the spread but covid will always be with us. We can't shut the world down because of it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You didn't learn anything when the hospitals almost collapsed the first time? I guess that's the covid freaks pretending the hospitals were at 90% capacity back in August.
Right.
I remember seeing all of those
bodies stacked outside in the
meat trucks as well. Boy life sure
can be tough at times.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you want to read something chilling

The Vanity Fair article on Funeral Homes is a whopper.....
they too are first responders - albeit the final first responders

That business is NOT scalable ...... they were swamped.
Yes Cristo... they walked on the dead bodies in the meat trucks... literally walked on them to drop the newest arrival

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If you want to read something chilling

The Vanity Fair article on Funeral Homes is a whopper.....
they too are first responders - albeit the final first responders

That business is NOT scalable ...... they were swamped.
Yes Cristo... they walked on the dead bodies in the meat trucks... literally walked on them to drop the newest arrival
Vanity Fair?
Funeral Homes?
Whoppers?
I'm sold..

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
"the curfew is important"??? Oh yea it is not possible to spread the Wuhan Virus between the hours of 9pm - 5 am M-F and 7pm and 5 am Sat and Sun. It is amazing how the health experts recognized the 2 extra hours per day that the virus can't be transmitted. The closures /curfews have negatively effected much more of the population than the virus.
Open everything now! NO curfews!, elderly and those with pre-existing conditions take extra care.

Reactions: melphis