20% of teenagers get pregnant here, will the new government make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Pregnancy-Pixabay-e1579045046320.jpg

The Vice Presidency and the Ministry of Economy are prioritizing initiatives that can revert the present situation where the Dominican Republic leads in teenage pregnancies in Latin America.

Vice President Raquel Peña, who is also the Abinader Health Cabinet coordinator, said that working on these challenges is a priority for President Luis Abinader. She said the situation is “unacceptable.”

Economy Minister Miguel Ceara Hatton presented findings of a recent study: “Early Union and Teenage Pregnancy in the Dominican Republic: Two Continuing Challenges.” The study reveals that one out of every five adolescents between 15 and 19 years of age becomes pregnant or has been pregnant in the Dominican Republic. Teenage pregnancy has a significant impact on the development of young people.

The study was carried out by the Vice Presidency of the Republic together with the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Why do people ask questions like how the government will stop teenage pregnancies?
What exactly are they going to do?
create better educational programs about teen pregnancy.
I remember all those kind of things during my childhood in the 80s
and then they created health classes where we learned of stds, condom usage, etc.
it was a little scary
they can easily do that in RD

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Education, Education, and Education.
As well, cracking down on foreign mongers and predators.
Totally agree education education and education, legalise abortion and decent sexual health services, the church needs to get it's nose out of peoples sex lives.
I agree about the foreign mongers but in the RD there is a huge problem of domestic mongers and predators that needs addressing too

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I also thought the number would have been in the 40 to 50% range. 20% seems low.
Maybe the government can hand out condoms. We all know how well that would work lol

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I also thought the number would have been in the 40 to 50% range. 20% seems low.
Maybe the government can hand out condoms. We all know how well that would work lol
They are available in every pharmacy so they sell and aren't just used as ballons.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
create better educational programs about teen pregnancy.
I remember all those kind of things during my childhood in the 80s
and then they created health classes where we learned of stds, condom usage, etc.
it was a little scary
they can easily do that in RD
Knowledge is power. Education and easy, cheap access to birth control and the morning after pill.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Totally agree education education and education, legalise abortion and decent sexual health services, the church needs to get it's nose out of peoples sex lives.
I agree about the foreign mongers but in the RD there is a huge problem of domestic mongers and predators that needs addressing too

Legalizing abortion helps nothing. Then the girls have to live with the guilt of murdering their babies for the rest of their lives. That is not the solution.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Education, yes.
Legalizing the murder of babies, no.
Cracking down on mongers, both foreign and domestic, yes.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Education is the obvious and simple answer until you factor in the power and influence of the Catholic Church.

How do you figure? Is the Catholic church advocating for teen pregnancy? I don't know much about those people but I always thought that they taught modesty and celibacy until married.

Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Why wouldn’t around 20% be right if that’s what the governments research shows.

• Haha
Reactions: melphis

Big

Apr 24, 2019
unfortunately it's a time honored tradition passed down. Unwed mothers giving birth because their mothers did it. It's a losing formula almost guaranteeing financial mediocrity. Its also alive and well in the USA

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Having taught in deeply Catholic communities and school systems for the majority of my career, abstinence is what is still taught as the proper thing to do. Not exclusively or across the board in the DR, but it is still the norm in 2020.
We all know how well that works.
Teach about contraception options. It’s not just girls who need the education on this.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Legalizing abortion helps nothing. Then the girls have to live with the guilt of murdering their babies for the rest of their lives. That is not the solution.
Legal medical or surgical terminations, solve the problem of girls/ women turning to backstreet abortions using drugs bought online and no supervision and unsafe surgical terminations carried out in unsanitary conditions by untrained practitioners, which is the situation now because of the draconian laws in the RD. I believe women should have the choice to decide what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.