getting driver license in DR

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Hi All,

I read many posting in dr1.com in regards to getting driver license in the DR1 but still couldnt find out what i am looking for. according to many posts, in order to get a driver license i need to go to the american embassy and get some documents which indicate the validity of my driver license in USA. however, other people said it is not necessary anymore. A friend of mine who was born and live in the DR call the motor vehicle and they told him I will need a certificate from motor vehicle which indicates that i have a valid driver license and it hasn't expired. more like a proof of license document which is stamped by the agency who assigns it. then i need to translate that document over there and take both documents along with cedula, etc to motor vehicle in the DR and i would get my license.

my question is I dont know how to obtain proof of license in USA. i have a NJ license and i went online and couldnt see any services where they can issue a proof of license certificate. have any one here gone through this process? how did you obtain proof of license certificate in USA? I gladly appreciate your help on this. thanks in advance

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
just go take the test....
I do not think USA licenses help too much.... all are state driven

Just take the visual test.... easy

I hope you have residency.....

erod

Apr 9, 2017
just go take the test....
I do not think USA licenses help too much.... all are state driven

Just take the visual test.... easy

I hope you have residency.....
in order to take the visual test, you need those documents i mentioned above. unless, i take the written test and driving test over there i dont think they will give me visual test. am i correct? am i missing something?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Go to a driving school.... they will get you thru

I used nothing.... driver school, visual computer test.... done in a morning....type of VIP
they skipped the road test for me --- once around the block is that test

45 day provisional then permanent licencse

your route refers to using a valid US licens

My route is start from scratch
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Obtain a local driver's license

To obtain a local driver's license without being able to convert your national one you need to do the following.

• Go to the local Driving Licence Centre
  • Pass a vision test and take a blood test
  • Listen to a talk on road education
  • Take a written examination (there is a book which you can buy to assist with this)
  • Have biometric data taken
  • Receive your learner's license which is then exchanged in 45 days for a full license

Reactions: chico bill and SKY

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
As far as I know the USA Consulate will not issue anything as there is not national drivers license! Or as least they did not when I got my Dominican license.
Easiest way and only way I know of is start from scratch test is not that hard mainly common sense. Other countries are different as the license is national.

Reactions: Big

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
As far as I know the USA Consulate will not issue anything as there is not national drivers license! Or as least they did not when I got my Dominican license.
Easiest way and only way I know of is start from scratch test is not that hard mainly common sense. Other countries are different as the license is national.

Correct! You can convert a European license if the Embassy is willing to confirm it's a genuine license. It's not cheating it's just how it is. I never did the test, but it can't be that hard.

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Yes, i think the easier way is to take the test and be done with it. i never heard of any document as proof of license in the USA. is there anything online i can study to prepare for the test? is it in spanish only or do they have english version?

e_bro

Jul 21, 2017

Follow the instruction... they have links for what you need except this one. It was sent to me in a chat.

everything is by appointment now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, i think the easier way is to take the test and be done with it. i never heard of any document as proof of license in the USA. is there anything online i can study to prepare for the test? is it in spanish only or do they have english version?
You cannot get what they ask for.... USA doesn't offer that... other countries do

The test is in Spanish but is a cartoon show.....
is this right or wrong as a car swoops left from the right hand lane

as I said - go to the Escuela de Chofer....Driving School...... they will guide you

you are overthinking this..........

erod

Apr 9, 2017
You cannot get what they ask for.... USA doesn't offer that... other countries do

The test is in Spanish but is a cartoon show.....
is this right or wrong as a car swoops left from the right hand lane

as I said - go to the Escuela de Chofer....Driving School...... they will guide you

you are overthinking this..........
great, thanks for the info. yes, i am over thinking. i was trying to avoid headaches in the dr since people had bad experiences.

marcosalm

Jul 24, 2018
Santiago
Relax - you'll be fine
[/Q
I walked into the driver testing station in Camboya (Santiago).....I need a license.....give me your cedula and sit down.....go to the classroom for 45 min "class of instruction"...... go to computer test.....you have 30 min......finished in 6.....go to visual test....."what letter is that" .....go to blood test....stuck my finger.....A+.....go sit in line....called my name....photo.....provisional valid for 45 days.....with a driving test date in 2 weeks.....went to driving "test" drove in a 25meter circle one time and parked. Congratulations! Total time first day.....2 hours.....second time for test 30 min max...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are examples of the computerized driving test on youtube. search for them in Spanish

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I walked into the driver testing station in Camboya (Santiago).....I need a license.....give me your cedula and sit down.....go to the classroom for 45 min "class of instruction"...... go to computer test.....you have 30 min......finished in 6.....go to visual test....."what letter is that" .....go to blood test....stuck my finger.....A+.....go sit in line....called my name....photo.....provisional valid for 45 days.....with a driving test date in 2 weeks.....went to driving "test" drove in a 25meter circle one time and parked. Congratulations! Total time first day.....2 hours.....second time for test 30 min max...

Yup - about that easy - even easier w/ the Escuela de Chofers

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The driving class if you decide to take it gives you the key Spanish words to listen for so you know how to answer he scenarios presented on the computerized test. Most scenarios are common sense to any driver with past experience so the class is not necessary to pass the computer test. If your Spanish is poor the class can give you Spanish words used in the test and what they mean for an added advantage and comfort level if taking tests is not your thing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
erod, do you have a Dominican Cedula , as in being a legal resident in the DR?

(Others are correct in stating you cannot use a US license to get a DR license. You have to just go through the procedure here. )

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is zero the US can do to help someone in the DR get a driver's license. Not a factor here.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you are a Canadian you can do the swap but when you consider how much time and running around is involved its probably quicker to just do the test.
You have to have residency in the DR card and cedula. If you don't you will be SOL