Back to school soon. Oh, really?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
We are coming up on "back to school" whatever that is in our current situation. For those in the trenches it means how do 4 year olds and up learn anything virtual if they couldn't get an adquecate education in a real life classroom before covid? I now see situations where 4-10 year olds are being taught by former child care women in a "classroom" consisting of an old bedroom door lying on a bunch of concrete blocks outside with no cover over there heads. No supplies to speak of unless you have a few pro-active people out there seeking donations from various sources. "Free" tablets from the gub? I haven't seen them. Programs be written by the gub? Are they finished and available for Nov2 ? I don't think so.

I encourage all that have some free time on their hands to take a look at this in some of the poorer barrios. You will then see better the dismal future of of those that have not been blessed with ANY kind of "privilege ". You will also get a feeling of joy if you can help in some way. I guarantee it.

Aug 21, 2007
I am not concerned about the free tablets. The kids in our mountain communities do not have electricity most of the time. They don't have internet. Most don't have a television. The mothers (according to our registration forms) have only a 3rd grade education.

Electronics will not be the mode they use to learn.

We at Strength for the Journey are currently teaching classes in 8 mountain communities. We teach in the church chapels (although the foundation is not connected to the church) or we teach outside under a tree. We haul our tables, chairs, and all materials along with us, set up, teach, disinfect, take down, and drive to the next location. All our kids wear masks They wash their hands upon arrival, and we take their temps. We maintain social distancing at all times.

There are many sacrifices to be made, but education is critical. For these kids, to lose a year of education would be a serious loss.

The kids, too, make sacrifices. They must walk far to our classes. Yesterday, two arrived on their burro.

This is the world now. I have no idea whether it will ever go back to what we thought was normal. But I don't have time to think about and wait for that. Education is needed now, so we must figure out how to do it and deliver it.

That is Strength for the Journey!

www.sftjourney.org

9d71912d-9765-4944-98d7-ccc1a9f0c1df.jpeg 534de609-ac08-4265-b699-7db8d80e3cf6.jpeg IMG_6019.jpeg

Aug 21, 2007
By the way, our foundation does not have a sugar daddy. We do what we do, receiving many small donations - $25, $50, sometimes $100. We spend our funds wisely. Our two teachers have teaching degrees from universities and the 3 assistants have had courses in education. They are all Dominican. And they work for a fraction of the pay they could receive in public education. Although other directors of foundations here that are similar in size receive a generous salary, I am a full time volunteer worker also with credentials. We are a dedicated team and we love what we do. We can see the impact we make and that makes it all worthwhile.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am seeing first how how ridiculous it is try attempt on line teaching for elementary level students.
It is a waste of effort.
It was a predictable waste of effort. By the way thieves are targeting those new tablets. My friend had two stolen by someone who broke through her aluminium louvered windows.
School, full classes, should be instituted now and those parents or teachers who fear for their children or their own safety can keep their kids at home. Replace teachers that prefer not to come to school.
It is ridiculous to have ever thought online classes would work. As Lindsey said: Many don't have electricity nor internet. There are many more who don't have reliable 24/7 power and if they have internet it is spotty or too slow.
And as for the technical prowess to be able to use and learn from that method - there are even fewer.

OPEN SCHOOLS NOW

Reactions: nanita

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
It was a predictable waste of effort. By the way thieves are targeting those new tablets. My friend had two stolen by someone who broke through her aluminium louvered windows.
School, full classes, should be instituted now and those parents or teachers who fear for their children or their own safety can keep their kids at home. Replace teachers that prefer not to come to school.
It is ridiculous to have ever thought online classes would work. As Lindsey said: Many don't have electricity nor internet. There are many more who don't have reliable 24/7 power and if they have internet it is spotty or too slow.
And as for the technical prowess to be able to use and learn from that method - there are even fewer.

OPEN SCHOOLS NOW
SO SCHOOL has not started anywhere or just in the rural areas? I thought school started yesterday for the Santo domingo area the bigger cities, Santiago , Puerto Plata and Punta Cana? Not so I take it ? OR is it just teachers reporting to learn how they will work?

Aug 21, 2007
SO SCHOOL has not started anywhere or just in the rural areas? I thought school started yesterday for the Santo domingo area the bigger cities, Santiago , Puerto Plata and Punta Cana? Not so I take it ? OR is it just teachers reporting to learn how they will work?

Teacher training is taking place right now. Schools start for student the beginning of November.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Teacher training is taking place right now. Schools start for student the beginning of November.
I've been hearing it depends where in the country the student(s) reside.
For instance, good friend of mine tells me her daughter is supposed to
start classes for her 6th grade year on Nov. 24th.
Beginning of Nov. would be a few weeks earlier?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I thought I read a few weeks ago in theDR News Nov2. That's the day we are targeting in my area but we started two weeks ago gathering supplies and setting up. I am shipping a 60 gal tanke this week from NY to the DR filled to the brim with donated supplies and clothes that I solicited on line. Had the drum filled in a week.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
By the way, our foundation does not have a sugar daddy. We do what we do, receiving many small donations - $25, $50, sometimes $100. We spend our funds wisely. Our two teachers have teaching degrees from universities and the 3 assistants have had courses in education. They are all Dominican. And they work for a fraction of the pay they could receive in public education. Although other directors of foundations here that are similar in size receive a generous salary, I am a full time volunteer worker also with credentials. We are a dedicated team and we love what we do. We can see the impact we make and that makes it all worthwhile.
keep up the great work Lindsey.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The teacher training is all virtual and consists of how to set up a virtual class room, how to do a Zoom call, whatsapp groups...etc. Plus a much of propaganda on how wonderful it will be for the children. My wife has decided we will start on November 2ND as well. The teachers have their classes, have gone to each student and introduced themselves and got a feel on where each child is in terms of learning and are developing their classes for this. Should be interesting to say the least. She has about 20 students that she is doing one on one three to five days a week trying to get them up to grade level. She has an 8 year old girl from Santo Domingo that the father rescued from the mother. 4 years of school and she could only count to ten and could not read, but she knew the alphabet. In four weeks my wife has her reading at grade one level and by end of October she should be close to grade level. What a difference from a shy little mouse to a vibrant happy girl full of laughter.

Reactions: AlterEgo
Aug 21, 2007
The teacher training is all virtual and consists of how to set up a virtual class room, how to do a Zoom call, whatsapp groups...etc. Plus a much of propaganda on how wonderful it will be for the children. My wife has decided we will start on November 2ND as well. The teachers have their classes, have gone to each student and introduced themselves and got a feel on where each child is in terms of learning and are developing their classes for this. Should be interesting to say the least. She has about 20 students that she is doing one on one three to five days a week trying to get them up to grade level. She has an 8 year old girl from Santo Domingo that the father rescued from the mother. 4 years of school and she could only count to ten and could not read, but she knew the alphabet. In four weeks my wife has her reading at grade one level and by end of October she should be close to grade level. What a difference from a shy little mouse to a vibrant happy girl full of laughter.

Wow! That is GREAT work, Bob!

Reactions: bob saunders

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wish you luck. My recent experience is with a US based school trying to educate 3rd graders online.

Not working well at all and it has ZERO to do with the internet connection speed and all about the inability of personal interaction using such a format between the student and teachers. It is better than nothing. About 10% better.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I wish you luck. My recent experience is with a US based school trying to educate 3rd graders online.

Not working well at all and it has ZERO to do with the internet connection speed and all about the inability of personal interaction using such a format between the student and teachers. It is better than nothing. About 10% better.
Whta do you suggest Windy?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Imagine teachers that can't manage to teach children in class trying to do it by distance. In a house there are far too many distractions for the average child to cope with and usually the mother has even more distractions making it almost impossible for her to get the child on tract...etc. lost year for most.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Whta do you suggest Windy?
Face to face schooling for such young children is the only possibility. What I am seeing from the attempt at on line teaching of such young children with a total lack of concentration and focus is a complete farce.

I understand that school will start for this 3rd grader back in the classroom , in November in Florida. So potentially the year won't be a total loss.

Reactions: bob saunders

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Imagine teachers that can't manage to teach children in class trying to do it by distance. In a house there are far too many distractions for the average child to cope with and usually the mother has even more distractions making it almost impossible for her to get the child on tract...etc. lost year for most.
Exactly. A lost year if done online.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
Wondering if anyone knows if schools will get a christmas break ? Anyone know or have an idea when school goes on holiday break for December , if they do ?