Take note: Big bumpers are outlawed

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Parachoques-Acento-e1602512164249.jpg

No more big bumpers. The National Traffic Safety Institute (Intrant) will begin enforcing the resolution that will require the removal of all “added-on” bumpers, whether front or back, from all vehicles as per Traffic Law 63-17. In Article 195, the law requires the removal of the prevalent “defenses” used by buses, SUVS, cars and trucks as a way of protecting the vehicles from minor traffic crunches or “fender-benders.” Vehicle owners have until 30 October 2020 to remove the fenders.

Read more in Spanish:Acento

12 October 2020

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I can see the removal of Big Bumpers in front for more crush proof plastic but from behind they are there to reduce rear end damage from others.
Anyway I don't think this will be enforced. It is another "show regulation", kind of like the seldom enforced helmet law.

That's one reason I liked my older Isuzu Trooper - real metal bumpers !

Reactions: arturo and JD Jones

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
That's interesting. Some states tried to pass a height law for bumpers. To many wanna be monster trucks had them even with a normal vehicles drivers window. Didn't work. Something about "freedom of expression".

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Passing laws that will never be enforced seems to be a pass time here that continues with all the governments.
Seems to keep them busy and helps justify all the government employees.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I can not say in which direction this will lead, but there have been large scale daily operations (20+ agents) conducted by DIGESETT (formerly AMET) between Guayacanes and La Romana over the last two weeks. While I have not seen seizures or confiscations of vehicles yet, they are issuing citations in very large numbers.
Perhaps this is where the new administration hopes to recoup some lost revenue.

Reactions: kanson

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
They enforced the removal of aftermarket LED lights quite well. Not sure if it's still enforced, but it certainly was for many months after the warning was issued.

Reactions: cavok and drstock

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
They enforced the removal of aftermarket LED lights quite well. Not sure if it's still enforced, but it certainly was for many months after the warning was issued.
they are coming back have seen a few on Autopista Duarte

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

I have not witnessed one of those setups in a very long time.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Yes but your car folds like a cheap tent if you so much as bump into anything. I believe the thought process behind the big bumpers is to protect the vehicle from other drivers and in most case here bad drivers in the car with bumpers.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yes but your car folds like a cheap tent if you so much as bump into anything. I believe the thought process behind the big bumpers is to protect the vehicle from other drivers and in most case here bad drivers in the car with bumpers.

And keep other vehicles at bay. The drivers of those buses use those bars as a tactical advantage to driving in the city. They don't have them for looks.
One of the most tried and true methods to get through traffic jams in the city is to keep as close to a slow-moving bus as you can.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Most people only think about rear end collisions. Do you want to be t-boned by something with that kind of grill?

Reactions: Michael DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Most people only think about rear end collisions. Do you want to be t-boned by something with that kind of grill?

You're giving too much credit to those bars. They're meant to be more of a visual deterrent. They are made from fairly thin tubing.

More than enough to slice a gash in the side of your car, but a T-bone would collapse them pretty quickly. The bar that is strong is the one in the rear for the trailer ball.

Reactions: Fulano2

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
They don't enforce the laws against blacked-out windows and dozens of others, so I won't be holding my breath.

Oh, do you mean the defensa law will be no more effective than the laws against dumping trash will nilly, blocking traffic to pick up and drop off carrito passengers at key intersections (e.g. Gomez/Kennedy, Tiradentes/Lincoln, etc. etc.), seat belt & other safety equipment?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I don't want to be T-boned by anything. My current car will literally fold like a cheap rusted tent.
My ideal car here would be a H-1 with bush bars that would rival a mountain train.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Passing laws that will never be enforced seems to be a pass time here that continues with all the governments.
Seems to keep them busy and helps justify all the government employees.
Exactamente!