Suffer from Tinnitus?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just saw this and thought I would share. They're claiming 83% of persons treated have had a significant decrease or eliminated completely.
Many of my friends here in the DR suffer from Tinnitus.. me included.
Where do I sign!?!?!?

Reactions: zoomzx11

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Unless you have it you have no idea of how miserable tinnitus can be.
Being around loud noises, listening to loud music are two of the known causes.
I always laugh when I see young fools driving around with the insane sound levels of music.
Some have it turned up enough so the car windows vibrate with the bass tones.
I spent 12 years commercial fishing on my boat in the Gulf of Mexico with a 1271 twin turbo and no mufflers.
I knew the hearing risks of loud noises and was careful.
Managed to avoid hearing loss although it appears if one lives long enough it is inevitable and I am hoping to get it one day.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Sometimes it's a lot more than tinnitus. Let me just say that i had "tinnitus" before they discovered I has a tumor that was growing verrrry slowly and approaching the brains. I had what is callesdan AN. (spell check won't do it but...acoustical neuroma ). This is a very slowing growing like in 10 years that needs to be watched. Long story short I had mine removed. In order to lessen the risks involvedin surgeryI elected to lose complete hearing in one ear. (I could have had 15% hearing in that ear but the surgery was a lot more riskier .

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The DR has never been on the cutting edge of medical science. If you are waiting for a breakthrough treatment to be available here you'll be waiting for a long time I suspect.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Unless you have it you have no idea of how miserable tinnitus can be.
Being around loud noises, listening to loud music are two of the known causes.
I always laugh when I see young fools driving around with the insane sound levels of music.
Some have it turned up enough so the car windows vibrate with the bass tones.
I spent 12 years commercial fishing on my boat in the Gulf of Mexico with a 1271 twin turbo and no mufflers.
I knew the hearing risks of loud noises and was careful.
Managed to avoid hearing loss although it appears if one lives long enough it is inevitable and I am hoping to get it one day.

Dr. Zoom/Doom, I presume?
Is there any condition or ailment you have never suffered directly from, or heard of?
Admittedly, I never knew of the medical term for this condition, and I do not think it would be a stretch to believe that those who are non-sufferers would ever know.
Hopefully, this stands as a remedy to those who legitimately suffer from the ailment.

• Sad
Reactions: Michael DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The DR has never been on the cutting edge of medical science. If you are waiting for a breakthrough treatment to be available here you'll be waiting for a long time I suspect.

Wow !
You betcha !!

When I needed treatment for my Melanoma, the STI oncologist told me to get out... go back

No perdes el tiempo --- were his words
Loosely translated - run don't , walk to the airport

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Is there any condition or ailment you have never suffered directly from, or heard of?
Admittedly, I never knew of the medical term for this condition, and I do not think it would be a stretch to believe that those who are non-sufferers would ever know.
Hopefully, this stands as a remedy to those who legitimately suffer from the ailment.

I have a difficult time suffering fools who ignore best medical advice and spread ugly rumors that can damages peoples welfare.
I have a medical background and pay attention.

According to your friend Google 20 million people have tinnitis.

You suggest there are folks who illegitimately suffer from from tinnitus?

Reactions: Michael DR

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have a difficult time suffering fools who ignore best medical advice and spread ugly rumors that can damages peoples welfare.
I have a medical background and pay attention.

According to your friend Google 20 million people have tinnitis.

You suggest there are folks who illegitimately suffer from from tinnitus?

Directed towards you, not the persons who suffer from the ailment, and know legitimately of it.

1602886907926.png

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

"Is there any condition or ailment you have never suffered directly from, or heard of? "

I wondered what on earth you were typing about with this dumb comment.

Your poor reading comprehension has given you the idea that I suffer from tinnitis.
Wrong again.

I do sympathize with people who suffer with tinnitis and was glad to hear that the medical community has come up with a treatment as to date there was nothing that alleviated the condition.

And here is a crumb for you.
Poor readers often find that re reading difficult text is effective in improving comprehension.
I understand your deficit and how it is you spout confused and inaccurate views on CV19 in the DR.

Love your "abolish the curfew flag".
Gives people an idea of what to expect so they are not shocked.

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Dr. Zoom,
I am going to go out on my patio, and open a nice bottle of wine.
Enjoy your evening as you so see fit. 🍷👋

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Dr. Zoom,
I am going to go out on my patio, and open a nice bottle of wine.
Enjoy your evening as you so see fit. 🍷👋
Don't treat this lightly. Please. I'll discuss with you over a glass of wine, that is , if you sit on my right side side as I have no hearing on my left side. Believe me this is a serious matter.

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
very common medical issue with those in my field of aviation. My father developed it and suffered with it for his last twenty years of life.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
very common medical issue with those in my field of aviation. My father developed it and suffered with it for his last twenty years of life.
A good friend of the family flew fighters in Viet Nam.
Left him deaf as a post.
The aircraft were not designed to protect the pilots hearing and sound deadening adds weight.
Lots of rock musicians ended up with hearing problems.
With the popularity of headphones and ear buds I expect that the new generation will have serious hearing issues.
Living with serious tinnitis is terrible as up to now there was nothing you could do to get relief.

We are all living in a sweet spot in history with modern medicine making leaps and bounds in patient care.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I owned a nightclub for many years so only myself to blame. Mine wakes me up many times at night .
I thing working on dam projects with scrapers and squealing grousers of the bulldozers and excavators is another sure recipe for heating loss

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I thing working on dam projects with scrapers and squealing grousers of the bulldozers and excavators is another sure recipe for heating loss
Exactly.
Did you have any idea at the time that the noise could be damaging and try to lessen exposure.
Nowadays everyone wears hearing protection.
Interesting that a few friends who have tinnitis never had any hearing issues until they were elderly.
Some had loss, some had tinnitis.
Its me I would prefer the loss since there are pretty good hearing aids available.
If this new vagus nerve stimulation works as described it will be wonderful news for those long suffering.

Interesting how as time passes medicine finds more and more activities that you engaged in as a kid that now turn out to be health risks.
I worked 8 summers lifeguarding at Jones Beach on Long Island.
I am red haired Irish and have that crummy blotchy skin.
Even as a kid I sensed that the sun was not my friend and never engaged in the competitions to see who could get the darkest tan. Tanning for me was mostly more freckles.
Since the beach years I have had 4 cases of malignant melanoma that I caught early.
This cancer is very deadly and most live a year or so.
I did all I could to avoid the sun.
Bathed in Sea and Ski with an spf of like 4 but always wore a hat and stayed under the sun umbrella.
Thank god for dermatologists.
I go three times a year now.
Loud noise and tinnitis, who knew?
Who knew?

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones