Greetings, my name is Evelyn and I’m here to help you (POP)

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
The new President has appointed me as the new manager of the airport customs area (DGA) here in Puerto Plata (POP). Our new goal is to make the airport more user friendly, tourists orientated and a pleasure to use.

My background is college in the USA and for the last 22 years administration villa management of SeaHorse Ranch here the the Sosua-Cabarete area. Many of you already know me.

Hopefully we can all work together to accomplish these goals at the airport.

First, I welcome all arriving passengers to ask for me personally (to know me or help with problems), second if anyone has ….

1.) ideas to improve the airport customs
2.) report here any problems (be it operational, rudeness, or improper behavior)
3.) general comments to help me (us) and improve tourism to the North Coast.

You can write here. I’m aware of the past problems and the biggest complaint (expensive airport fares) and although above my pay grade, I have the ear of the new president. Let’s see.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to hearing (meeting) you. You now have a friend at the airport customs.

Evelyn Barrientos

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A suggestion - Put up a sign in English advertising your name, position and availability where arriving/departing passengers can see it. When there are problems, many uni-lingual passengers have a difficult time thinking on the fly and knowing that assistance is available in their language would be a big help in that situation. The customs officials should be instructed to contact you as a matter of course when there is an issue with a passenger. Congrats on the new job. I hope you find it rewarding and can make a difference.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Evelyn
This is a good idea
I wish you well

Myrecent arrival was October 31
The line for citizens and residents was not open
Just one for all passengers
How long will this continue?

Reactions: JD Jones

POP DGA

Nov 4, 2020
sosua
A suggestion - Put up a sign in English advertising your name, position and availability where arriving/departing passengers can see it. When there are problems, many uni-lingual passengers have a difficult time thinking on the fly and knowing that assistance is available in their language would be a big help in that situation. The customs officials should be instructed to contact you as a matter of course when there is an issue with a passenger. Congrats on the new job. I hope you find it rewarding and can make a difference.
Hello, thanks for your suggestion.

We are taking this into consideration and improving so that most of our customs officials are fluent english speakers to better serve our passengers.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Will you have colleagues at other airports as well? I could write a book on how to improve flow at PUJ . It would start with Mr. Rameri should check his greed at the door. Ever since he started charging to drive in and pick up passengers that place is chaotic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
POP has parking fees - actually 'entry fees'.... 35 pesos = 1st hour

Evelyn is at POP..... we'll see if she can answer the PUJ questions

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm hoping the government puts Evelyn's position at every airport. PUJ might be tougher as it's privately owned.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I never fly or have flown thru POP as I live down here here in STI but
I know dozens of people who do, some
more than once or twice a month. I will
be sure to pass this information along
to them. Congratulations on your appointment as Manager.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Last time I came into POP everyone, including Residents had to waste time filling in forms when they arrived. This should be done on the plane, as I think it was before if my memory serves me well.

Reactions: Island Treats

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All mine were on the plane... Oct 31 - JFK/POP

Evelyn
When I left POP last time.... mid-October -
A man before Migracion made me fill out the blue form ---- I told him it wasn't req'd for citizens
He insisted

The Migracion officer crumpled it an threw it away

I asked that man if it was his first day on the job.... The Migracion guy exploded in laughter

But seriously, Too many of the agents at the airports insist on that blue form from everybody
and they are wrong.....
Just the white form for exiting residents and citizens

Better education needed, IMO

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
The new President has appointed me as the new manager of the airport customs area (DGA) here in Puerto Plata (POP). Our new goal is to make the airport more user friendly, tourists orientated and a pleasure to use.

My background is college in the USA and for the last 22 years administration villa management of SeaHorse Ranch here the the Sosua-Cabarete area. Many of you already know me.

Hopefully we can all work together to accomplish these goals at the airport.

First, I welcome all arriving passengers to ask for me personally (to know me or help with problems), second if anyone has ….

1.) ideas to improve the airport customs
2.) report here any problems (be it operational, rudeness, or improper behavior)
3.) general comments to help me (us) and improve tourism to the North Coast.

You can write here. I’m aware of the past problems and the biggest complaint (expensive airport fares) and although above my pay grade, I have the ear of the new president. Let’s see.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to hearing (meeting) you. You now have a friend at the airport customs.

Evelyn Barrientos
Do you have any news you can share with us about candian airline flying into POP. We know Air transat is flying out of montreal . Do you know if West jet and air transat will be flying to POP from toronto ?

• Haha
Reactions: Caonabo

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Maybe the porters with luggage carts could stage closer to the baggage drop so you can ask one for help removing large bags from the conveyor without having to shout across the terminal 75' away