This to combat the 'excesses' of nightlife. - Bourbon Street now a Department Store

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
1605880898251.png

8 November 2020​

Bourbon Street Restaurant now a department store

After months of renovation, a new department store will soon be opened in the Pedro Clisante. Bourbon Street Bar Restaurant used to be located here. On Wednesday evening, November 6, 2019, the bars and discotheques in the main street Pedro Clisante of Sosúa were closed by order of the city council. This to combat the 'excesses' of nightlife. Bourbon Street Bar was also closed at the time. Now it appears that the Chinese manager of the department store opposite Bar Central, bought Bourbon Street bar and turned it into a department store. The items he will sell there, clothing, footwear, household appliances, electronics and toys, are the same as what he sold in the other department store.​

Bourbon Street a department store​

It is said that Mayor Willy Olivences has taken the other department store back and wants to turn it into a beautiful bar. It used to be a beautiful bar that many visitors to Sosúa still have fond memories of. Hopefully those happy times will return.​

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Which Department Store will be converted back to a bar?
Would that not cause an "excess of nightlife"? :p:devilish:

Reactions: zoomzx11

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Which Department Store will be converted back to a bar?
Would that not cause an "excess of nightlife"? :p:devilish:
It sounds like the one that used to be D'Latin. If it is anything like it used to be it will certainly cause the aforementioned "excess"!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I understand that the Chinese are also the ones building that big structure at the lights in from of Metro on the highway.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I understand that the Chinese are also the ones building that big structure at the lights in from of Metro on the highway.
The Chinese mafia has to do something with all the money they make from their Pico Pollo franchise. There are even more of those than there are Helados Bon, which has something like 400+ outlets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seamonkey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That being called a department store is a joke.
It's a junk store in my opinion. At best call it a "variety store".
What's being sold there is a variety of pure crap. Buy something there and report back on how long it lasts. The products won't last as long as a bottle of your shampoo

If the world lowers itself to continue to accept & buy Chinese garbage then we deserve the shyte-hole the world becomes.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They do the same thing in this country I saw happening in south east asia 13 yrs ago. They buy the licenses to sell a name brand product (from shoes to cell phones to kitchen sinks) then they stock their shelves with cheap Chinese counterfit crap. Buyer beware as you can pick up this junk at any major brand store in this country.

Reactions: PCMike

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
What's being sold there is a variety of pure crap. Buy something there and report back on how long it lasts. The products won't last as long as a bottle of your shampoo

If the world lowers itself to continue to accept & buy Chinese garbage then we deserve the shyte-hole the world becomes.

Your point is that the tone has been lowered because someone has replaced a bar full of cheap prostitutes with a shop selling tat?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The Chinese mafia has to do something with all the money they make from their Pico Pollo franchise. There are even more of those than there are Helados Bon, which has something like 400+ outlets.
I made comments in the past about the Chinese and their ability to buy up large swaths of high value/ target realestate and got ridiculed for suggesting it could happen in Sosua. I'm not saying this is the case today but I still think it may end up happening at some point in the future. One need look no further than the center of Santiago or 27 Feb y Duarte down in the Capital to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about....
Some of those folks have very deep pockets.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Mayor Willy Olivences has taken the other department store back and wants to turn it into a beautiful bar. It used to be a beautiful bar that many visitors to Sosúa still have fond memories of. Hopefully those happy times will return.
Mayor Willy has probably been passed Kings (formerly Rumba) a few times recently and realized how much money he's losing by not having a spot of his own.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I bet you , on paper this place will make truck loads of money...I’m surprised they didn’t call it a laundry mat..:rolleyes:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Mayor Willy has probably been passed Kings (formerly Rumba) a few times recently and realized how much money he's losing by not having a spot of his own.
Prediction - one or more of the Chinese junk stores will be converted to another type of business in the not too distant future. A Pedro Clissnte of nothing but Chinese crap won't attract tourists of any type.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

You overestimate the buying power of poor Dominicans. For many, things sold in this type of store are the only thing they can afford.

It's also why the Chinese Pica Pollos do so well. Their food is totally acceptable for poor folks, they're cheap and give more food than many other places.

Show a little compassion for them.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You overestimate the buying power of poor Dominicans. For many, things sold in this type of store is the only thing they can afford.

It's also why the Chinese Pica Pollos do so well. Their food is totally acceptable for poor folks, they're cheap and give more food than many other places.

Show a little compassion for them.
I would imgine these stores are similar to Dollar Value stores in the states. (check the stock prices of the 2-3 corp. companies listed on the exchange). I went to one in Savannah Ga. last week to stock up on candy and Christmas items for a kid's Christmas party next month here in the DR. These stores are PACKED and a very much needed varitity store for the lower and middle class population.