Pro-Consumer Agency alerts consumers not to accept extra charges for paying with a credit card

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Anina-del-Castillo-ProConsumidor-1024x823.jpg

The director of the ProConsumer Agency, Anina Del Castillo, reminded consumers in the Dominican Republic that they should not allow additional fees to be charged when they pay super sales prices for Black Friday.

“Don’t let them charge you anything extra for paying with your credit or debit card,” said Del Castillo in a telephone interview on the program El Gobierno de la Tarde, on Z 101 radio. It has been a common practice for stores to tack on the cost of the credit card transaction to consumers that do not pay in cash.

She said if the business makes the charge, they should make a direct claim to the store so the charges are reimbursed. Del Castillo says the price of the product cannot vary depending on the means of payment used.

She also alerted shoppers to not fall for the practice of businesses that raise prices to then offer big discounts for Black...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Whoa. Good luck with that. Anything I buy anywhere with my card (except the supermarket) has a higher price for card purchases.

As an example, every drugstore I have ever gone to gives a 10% discount on cash purchases but 5% on CC purchases.

That's how they avoid the problem of charging more - they give different discounts.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Whoa. Good luck with that. Anything I buy anywhere with my card (except the supermarket) has a higher price for card purchases.

As an example, every drugstore I have ever gone to gives a 10% discount on cash purchases but 5% on CC purchases.

That's how they avoid the problem of charging more - they give different discounts.

That's the way-around-it.

Same as in europe, we are not allowed to add an extra fee for payments with CC---- even though they gouge the business with eye-watering fees--- BUT we can give a discount if you pay cash, or a smaller discount if you pay with a debit card.

There is no reason the dominican retailers should have to support the cost of the consumers credit and if they are forced to, they will just mark up prices by 5% for EVERYONE.

There IS a reason it is really hard to pay with an american express card in most countries.......

Reactions: NanSanPedro

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
From Z101Digital:

"Afirmó que Pro Consumidor ha recordado a los proveedores que el precio de los productos no puede variar por el medio de pago que se utilice, además le ha reiterado a través de charlas las demás obligaciones que estos han de tener frente a los consumidores."

That makes no sense. She's saying that the product price (so what the store gets) cannot change based on the payment method. Unless they really charge more, it does not change. It's the cardholder's financian institute that charges the extra, not the store...

Agreed with malko above, also, everyone is entitled to choose their preferred payment method of those that any particular store offers. Same as with online purchasing. I have purchased things from many German online stores who offer quite a few different payment methods, and many of the payment methods have a varying percentage that they charge for taking care of the transaction. Nothing to do with the retailer, you're more than welcome change your payment method.... So in general, unless the store itself is charging more of the product itself, that whole news for this part makes no sense.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
AMEX is the WORST at charging the retailer BIG fees.....
once a beloved card.... now a pariah....
yes they do hammer the retailers, however if you are a business traveler you need one in your wallet to access their airport lounges. Nothing like taking a hot shower while waiting for your connecting flight

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Jan 12, 2013
yes they do hammer the retailers, however if you are a business traveler you need one in your wallet to access their airport lounges. Nothing like taking a hot shower while waiting for your connecting flight
As it may have been true a while back, you now have other cards that give free access to airport lounges..... Hell I have a pre-paid debit card that gets me into lounges for free.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Only credit card purchases I make are online. Would advise against using them in stores here. Too much fraud/ theft.

With all these new funky technologies, you can freeze your card at will with the help of an app on your phone.

I use a "pre-paid" debit card that gives me a nice cash-back. So I can be at la Sirena at the cashier, top-up my card with my " main" card, unfreeze the pre-paid card, pay and then freeze it again immediately.

Reactions: AlterEgo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
With all these new funky technologies, you can freeze your card at will with the help of an app on your phone.

I use a "pre-paid" debit card that gives me a nice cash-back. So I can be at la Sirena at the cashier, top-up my card with my " main" card, unfreeze the pre-paid card, pay and then freeze it again immediately.
Interesting. Had no idea this were an option.
Something worth taking a look at.

Reactions: NanSanPedro