Moving to Punta Cana, which sectors are best

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
Hi all, I moved to the DR recently and currently staying with family in the capital. Was thinking of moving to Las Terrenas so my 9 year old could enroll in the french school, but since they are closed to in person classes and it's virtual, we decided it's best for him to finish virtually in the US. Given the nature of my job we can live anywhere there is internet. So we want to take a look at Punta Cana.

Seems like the infrastructure is the newest in the country? Anyway, wanted to see if you fine folks knew of the sectors we should avoid and the ones that would be most family friendly and safe for us. We are looking to rent for now, and our budget for rent is $900. We have a car and motorbike. Any insights would be appreciated!

Oct 28, 2011
Hi all, I moved to the DR recently and currently staying with family in the capital. Was thinking of moving to Las Terrenas so my 9 year old could enroll in the french school, but since they are closed to in person classes and it's virtual, we decided it's best for him to finish virtually in the US. Given the nature of my job we can live anywhere there is internet. So we want to take a look at Punta Cana.

Seems like the infrastructure is the newest in the country? Anyway, wanted to see if you fine folks knew of the sectors we should avoid and the ones that would be most family friendly and safe for us. We are looking to rent for now, and our budget for rent is $900. We have a car and motorbike. Any insights would be appreciated!
Punta Cana Village is another great choice depending on which school you choose. Check out Google earth maps to identify areas, distances, beaches, etc. On FB you can find lots of rentals that give price and amenities, for ex. on Clasificados Bavaro Punta Cana...recommend a stay before you commit long term, we love the area!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Punta Cana Village and Cana Town, both with a top intl school each.
also inside Cap Cana all the whole 9 yards of price range available, Villas, Condos, for example teh Aquamarina Condos are great and you are just around the corner of Cap Cana's intl school.
otherwise look on the El Cortecito Area, many many Condos available there of all sizes and in all price ranges.
in El Cortecito you don't need $900.- per month todays, the Oandemic brought down rentals very significant, good for renters.
teh big advantage of Punta Cana Village and Cap Cana is Security, Real securioty 24/7, you are as safe as the President in the Presi's Palais.
welcome to the Hood

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Another advantage of PC/Bavaro is electric. No inverter necessary as there is 24/7 electric run by CEPM a private company.

Reactions: KyleMackey

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Cocotal in Bavaro may be good for you. There are a lot of rentals at your price. Security is tops, location very good with a car. 4 large supermarkets within 5-15 minute drive. Airport 15 minutes also.

Located on 27 holes of golf.
I agree also you kids could play on the golf course with no worries....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I agree also you kids could play on the golf course with no worries....
Except most people that live in gated country clubs don't play golf. A study was done many years ago, I think it was commissioned by Grupo Metro for the Metro/Los Marlins Country Club in Juan Dolio, and they found that the biggest attraction for people that buy/live in country club real estate are the manicured lawns and landscape of the golf couse. Another plus that people like is that private property usually has the rear towards the golf course guaranteeing two things, a view of the greenery of the course and that view will never be blocked by new construction. Cocotal has a sizable presence of foreigners, but what wasn't obvious to Grupo Metro when they began to develop Los Marlins in the 80's/90's is that the Dominican presence there is overwhelming. In fact, many are from San Pedro de Macoris city who wanted a more "natural" setting than is offered at any top neighborhood in SPM city. Many of them permanently live in Metro. The rest are mostly from Santo Domingo.

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Except most people that live in gated country clubs don't play golf. A study was done many years ago, I think it was commissioned by Grupo Metro for the Metro/Los Marlins Country Club in Juan Dolio, and they found that the biggest attraction for people that buy/live in country club real estate are the manicured lawns and landscape of the golf couse. Another plus that people like is that private property usually has the rear towards the golf course guaranteeing two things, a view of the greenery of the course and that view will never be blocked by new construction. Cocotal has a sizable presence of foreigners, but what wasn't obvious to Grupo Metro when they began to develop Los Marlins in the 80's/90's is that the Dominican presence there is overwhelming. In fact, many are from San Pedro de Macoris city who wanted a more "natural" setting than is offered at any top neighborhood in SPM city. Many of them permanently live in Metro. The rest are mostly from Santo Domingo.
For more than ten years playing at Metro I never have seen a youngster on the course. However, back in he day where when we had schools that were open, I always saw groups of kids after school at the pool swimming or having lessons.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I know of at least three in Metro that are there for that very reason plus the security.

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
Thanks everyone for you input, this is very helpful. We're starting the process for a 2 bedroom in Cocotal for $700/month for 1 year, this should give us enough time to get to know the area and hopefully buy a house or invest in a planned project.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Honestly,
700 a month for just a 2 bedroom is very steep.
I am sitting at this moment ina friend's 2 Bedroom at the residency Punta Cana Bavaro, $400.- plus $40.- maintenance fee per month.
nice spacy, 2 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, spacy living roomwith kittchen plus an extra dining room and then roofed outdoort space on the backside wheer he has his washer, the BBQ etc
pricees dropped a lot due covid and will sadly stay down for a long while(sad for landlords/investors who bought/built a while ago).
shop around the area, you will fiind way better than 700 for a simple 2 bedroom in the area.

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
Honestly,
700 a month for just a 2 bedroom is very steep.
I am sitting at this moment ina friend's 2 Bedroom at the residency Punta Cana Bavaro, $400.- plus $40.- maintenance fee per month.
nice spacy, 2 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, spacy living roomwith kittchen plus an extra dining room and then roofed outdoort space on the backside wheer he has his washer, the BBQ etc
pricees dropped a lot due covid and will sadly stay down for a long while(sad for landlords/investors who bought/built a while ago).
shop around the area, you will fiind way better than 700 for a simple 2 bedroom in the area.
Thanks Mike for the suggestion, only thing is that we don't know anyone in the area and all the websites also have the apartments at this price. Is there a way to deal with the Cocotal golf directly? If not, I don't have any other options.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Thanks Mike for the suggestion, only thing is that we don't know anyone in the area and all the websites also have the apartments at this price. Is there a way to deal with the Cocotal golf directly? If not, I don't have any other options.
sorry, I couldn't tell.
as I live here, when i look for a place, i go direct to the area i am interested in and talk to the landlords directly.
sure very different when looking on things from far away.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Not in Cocotal it isn't. $700 is a decent price. I lived there for 4 years before buying our own place. To compare Residential Punta Cana Bavaro to Cocotal simply isn't close...especially when it comes to security, amenities, and general ambiance. A decade ago, I lived there. My friend who lived there for 6 years up until August, moved out due to the security issues...not to mention the rogue roosters and other livestock roaming about. Apparently, there is an aggresive and stubborn family of goats...lol.

Reactions: dalethefarmer

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
but a decade ago it was still a barely developed dump, that changed quiet a bit in 10 years, lol.
Cocotal is def a notch up, no doubt on that.
but when willing to spend 700, then i would take out an other couple hundreds and look on Punta Cana Village and alikes, they are the top level then.
what i don't like on Cocotal is that they seem once in a while to lay out poison to kill dogs. but that's just me, of cousre, who is bothered by such and then avoids such lace for ever.
and the whole El Cortecito Area with it's dozens of Residencies, good security, most stuff even within walking distance and near the ebach, has a immense number of nice ocndo units available and for their lowest pricing since ever.
El Coortecito should be worth a ride to shop around, but again, it is necessary to be here and do such inperson, it is very different when someone from abroad is doing such rentalwithout beeing present themself here on the ground.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cocotal has an office that would know of rentals. You just go in the front gate and go straight and you will be at the Golf Club House. The office is on your left when you come in the building. Tell security you are for golf, that will get you in. You have to leave a Cedula or Photo ID at the gate and they return it on the way out.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The really important thing in PC village and Cocatal is clear water and good sewage. Most of the condos in Corticto and Eldorado have very bad water. The place is over built with very few regulations and a few builders drilled to deep and flooded the aqua table with sea water.