The Beginning of The End of Carros Públicos (Conchos)?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A new massive transportation system has been announced with the intention of eliminating carros públicos (conchos) forever, and improving the quality and safety of public transport users. Often most of the old beat up carcasses roaming the streets of Santo Domingo are conchos. The new system is slated to start soon on Avenida Núñez de Cáceres in Santo Domingo, eventually expanding everywhere carros públicos currently have routes. Drivers of conchos are going to be employed in the new system and will become the drivers of the buses. OMSA will also be prohibited on every concho route replaced by this new system.

The video is in Spanish.

The new buses that will form part of the new system meant to replace conchos.

f26Fob.png

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I'll believe it when I see it NAL's. The sindico that heads up the Conchos is very strong and I've heard talk about taking the conchos off the roads in the past. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see it happen. I thought that when the Metro (line one) was finished the concho drivers should have been offered jobs and conchos taken off the roads at that time (meaning where the metro ran like Maximo Gomez which to me is the worst traffic on that side of the river but they allowed the conchos to clog up Gomez until this day.
Frankly the thoughts of those concho drivers being the drivers of large busses is frightening to say the least. Will they still pull in and out of traffic without looking? My guess is the adage that "old habits die hard" will be the case.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'll believe it when I see it NAL's. The sindico that heads up the Conchos is very strong and I've heard talk about taking the conchos off the roads in the past. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see it happen. I thought that when the Metro (line one) was finished the concho drivers should have been offered jobs and conchos taken off the roads at that time (meaning where the metro ran like Maximo Gomez which to me is the worst traffic on that side of the river but they allowed the conchos to clog up Gomez until this day.
Frankly the thoughts of those concho drivers being the drivers of large busses is frightening to say the least. Will they still pull in and out of traffic without looking? My guess is the adage that "old habits die hard" will be the case.

I had this question too. The vehicles are very different and I'm thinking that there will be a big resistance to change.

The street in SD I'm most familiar with is 27 de Febrero. They have both OMSA busses and conchos existing simultaneously. From what I can see, most OMSA busses are not crowded while the conchos/guaguas are.

That's another question: Is there a difference between conchos and guaguas?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I had this question too. The vehicles are very different and I'm thinking that there will be a big resistance to change.

The street in SD I'm most familiar with is 27 de Febrero. They have both OMSA busses and conchos existing simultaneously. From what I can see, most OMSA busses are not crowded while the conchos/guaguas are.

That's another question: Is there a difference between conchos and guaguas?
Yes, I believe they have different sindicos. It's like one is the Colombo Family and the other like the Gambino Family. Extortion is their primary racket.

• Wow
Reactions: Big and Russell

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So we can expect to see concho drivers being hired to drive these buses? Wow! That's a lot of buses....
and we thought traffic was bad with the carritos? SMH....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What do you mean? Aren't these new buses run under OMSA? It looks so from the picture... Can you please clarify your comment
The government just authorized for these buses to be purchased for the new system.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
And yet another attemp which will fail, in fact, it failed at the minute they thought about it, but, they do love new toys in this country.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The government just authorized for these buses to be purchased for the new system.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't OMSA = govt??

So they just paint things differently, and it's something new and fancy? What's wrong with one transport entity per city?

Also, correct me if I'm mistaken but was it not said somewhere that there are many OMSA buses that are not even in use?

Reactions: rubio_higuey

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
So we can expect to see concho drivers being hired to drive these buses? Wow! That's a lot of buses....
and we thought traffic was bad with the carritos? SMH....

That, to me, makes zero sense as well. The idea with buses are that they (ideally) run as full as possible. Compare a vehicle that fits 50+ people with a vehicle that fits 4-5 people. No way all the drivers have jobs unless I'm missing something serious here...

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't OMSA = govt??

So they just paint things differently, and it's something new and fancy? What's wrong with one transport entity per city?

Also, correct me if I'm mistaken but was it not said somewhere that there are many OMSA buses that are not even in use?
It is and OMSA buses are going to be eliminated along with conchos as their route will be replaced by this new system. The new transportation system should begin as soon as the new buses arrive in the country, starting with the Núñez de Cáceres corridor. Not too long ago there was AMET and now there is INTRANT with allthe change in new uniforms and such.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the concho organization is now a company and is intertwined in the administration and planning (and eliminating the conchos themselves) of this new system.

• Love
Reactions: Mr Deal HD
Feb 7, 2007
NALs, ask your people about the vaccines, will permanent residents be vaccinated? Today VP said the electorate register will be used as database of people to supply vaccine to... Residents are not in electorate register though

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
President Abinader went on a bus of the new system which started today!

fBYX1f.png

That's his hand inside the bus.
fBYhg4.png

The bus on Núñez de Cáceres Avenue.
fBYwdl.png

All photos are from Luis Abinader's Instagram page.

Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I can just imagine all these motoconch drivers now driving massive buses the wrong way on one way streets weaving in and out of traffic.
Time to build a series of beer stands on street corners and wait for the entertainment to begin.
I thought the new government actually had a brain. Guess not.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Why every time the administration changes changes hands, for some odd reason some geniuses believe they must re-invent the wheel?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
In response to postings #18 and 19, can you please submit a suggestion/idea to our web forum community, that is high and above in logic, compared to what is being done by the CURRENT administration, and which you seem to ridicule with ease?
I, if not may others, are all ears.