CPS SCAM/PROBLEMS?

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
Anyone have issues with CPS? I am dealing with CPS Zona Universitaria and their rates are outrageous! CPS says it's around 240pesos per pound, thats it (for items that are less than $US200). However, in the Zona Universitaria they CHARGED 1000PESOS on top! They dont even print out a receipt for you! The online recipt doesnt add to the total at the bottom (for example it adds to 1200pesos but the total at the bottom says 2200pesos).

When you ask the guy at the counter he gives 5 different reasons for the price hike..airplane gas, truck gas, us currency.. but cant explain anything with certainty!

Anyone? is it like this in all CPS? Is it a zona univversitaria scam?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Memphis is right. They're pocketing the extra $$

I strongly suggest you change to Domex and have your mail delivered to your house.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I use CPS in Cabarete and never had any problems. They give me a printed receipt. Maybe you should report it to someone in charge.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I too receive a printed receipt and the paper I have to sign showing I picked up the package also has the total price and the break down on it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Anyone have issues with CPS? I am dealing with CPS Zona Universitaria and their rates are outrageous! CPS says it's around 240pesos per pound, thats it (for items that are less than $US200). However, in the Zona Universitaria they CHARGED 1000PESOS on top! They dont even print out a receipt for you! The online recipt doesnt add to the total at the bottom (for example it adds to 1200pesos but the total at the bottom says 2200pesos).

When you ask the guy at the counter he gives 5 different reasons for the price hike..airplane gas, truck gas, us currency.. but cant explain anything with certainty!

Anyone? is it like this in all CPS? Is it a zona univversitaria scam?
I know adults here who can not read, add or multiply properly.
I'm not saying give them a pass but I do my best to take
into account not everyone we deal with down here received
the same type of education we received.

We also have to remember that just because a person works in
a certain position, this often has nothing to do with whether or not
they have the qualifications.

Reactions: Africaida

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We also have to remember that just because a person works in
a certain position, this often has nothing to do with whether or not
they have the qualifications.

True, but I've been with BMCargo for 5+ years and not once have anyone from their side explained nothing that would have not made sense to me. Once they had a delay in Miami warehouse, which was quickly taken to their supervisor and quickly sorted out. They provide detailed invoices from a laser printer of each individual shipment separately. Detailing all the costs...

Since the pandemic, they have only accepted card payments which I don't do with anyone else here and thankfully, they have not once tried to charge something strange...

Reactions: CristoRey

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
True, but I've been with BMCargo for 5+ years and not once have anyone from their side explained nothing that would have not made sense to me. Once they had a delay in Miami warehouse, which was quickly taken to their supervisor and quickly sorted out. They provide detailed invoices from a laser printer of each individual shipment separately. Detailing all the costs...

Since the pandemic, they have only accepted card payments which I don't do with anyone else here and thankfully, they have not once tried to charge something strange...
I moved from CPS to BMCargo due to the high rates. I bought a weighing machine recently and noticed that BMCargo somehow add a lot to the weight.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Anyone have issues with CPS?

Yes. I think CPS in DR are franchises ..so service levels may vary depending on the franchise owner(s) , location etc. We stopped using them sometime ago when they started making excuses for lost or delayed packages....there’s a long thread about CPS somewhere here in DR1 ...similar issues.

Our new courier is getting complacent these days ...so maybe time to get a new service...couriers are ten a penny in DR , IMO.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I moved from CPS to BMCargo due to the high rates. I bought a weighing machine recently and noticed that BMCargo somehow add a lot to the weight.
Most (if not all) of the couriers work with dimensionalized weight.

Reactions: josh2203

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Yes there are times when they "round up" to 1lb, but mostly it's very accurate. That rounding up only happens (as far as I have seen) with packages less than 1lb actually. I ordered one screw as a maintenance item for our SUV and they stated the weight was "0.2lbs" but charged almost one full lb. That is one of the things I have chosen not to complain about, as other than that, they are very reliable.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Most (if not all) of the couriers work with dimensionalized weight.

This is actually much better reply to the above than mine... They usually state if the dimensionlized weight differs from what it actually weights, but not always. So this could well apply to things that weight way less than 1lb but come in a huge packaging...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Generally, postal mail is consolidated in Miami by most of the courier companies and forwarded once they have enough to fill a bag, container or whatever they use. Postal mail Mail is supposed to be addressed to a different address than express packages. For me with CPS if I have postal mail sent to the CPS package address inside some sort of box or fedex envelope it is usually treated as a package and shipped quite quickly at the package rate. If a regular mail envelope arrives at the package address it might just end up with all the other postal mail waiting to be consolidated then shipped. You need to have a discussion with your forwarder/courier to see what your slower/quicker mail options are.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
This is actually much better reply to the above than mine... They usually state if the dimensionlized weight differs from what it actually weights, but not always. So this could well apply to things that weight way less than 1lb but come in a huge packaging...
Right. More specifically; The airlines use dimensionalized weight for their shipments (I think the airline standard is still 10 lbs per cubic foot.)
For example, if the box is a cubic foot and weighs 4 lbs. (or 1, or 8, or whatever) they will charge you for 10 lbs. unless it weighs more, in which case they charge by the actual weight.
Since the couriers are using the airlines, they are subject to the same rules unless they have negotiated a lower tariff with the airline they use.

Reactions: josh2203

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have used CPS in Puerto Plata for five years (averaging maybe three packets per month). Rate is now RD$230 per pound weight (or part of pound) and has increased each year in line with devaluation of peso against US dollar.

I have never been overcharged or suffered lost or delayed parcels. Staff very affable.

Receipts detail breakdown of costs.

Feb 7, 2007
Right. More specifically; The airlines use dimensionalized weight for their shipments (I think the airline standard is still 10 lbs per cubic foot.)
For example, if the box is a cubic foot and weighs 4 lbs. (or 1, or 8, or whatever) they will charge you for 10 lbs. unless it weighs more, in which case they charge by the actual weight.
Since the couriers are using the airlines, they are subject to the same rules unless they have negotiated a lower tariff with the airline they use.
Couriers are not subject to dimensional weight, they pay by the sack. Whatever fits in the sack, goes. There possibly is done weight limit so they possibly pay either per sack or per KG of weight over limit, but that's how it works with Miami couriers.

yeptruthhurts

Feb 10, 2021
I thought I was the only one!! I called CPS to find out their prices: 237pesos a pound. I went to the zona universitario CPS and they charged me 500 pesos extra!!!

I asked why and was told: Airplane charges have gone up, gasoline prices have gone up and that is standard CPS pricing.

They did not print a receipt for me. I left and returned to tell them to print one.

On the receipt it shows 500pesos as "Transporte Local"

I called the CPS main office and asked what was going on. They said some CPS offices are NOT official CPS. They have different rates.

I asked where does it say that? I mean there is only one phone number, one website etc. The lady on the phone admitted it is not announced anywhere.

So if you go to a CPS office, that has a sign that says CPS, that has brochures that say CPS, that gives you a receipt that says CPS, well you are going to be robbed!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I moved from BM cargo to aero pac 2 months ago...After using BM cargo for years ,one day they told me they couldnt ship my Box from Amazon... aero pac is easy here in Santiago.........