US developing vaccine passport

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Biden bows to pressure – will promote US vaccine passport​

Monday, March 29th 2021- 09:05 UTC
Full article0 comments
The new passports are expected to nudge skeptical Americans to get vaccinated. The new passports are expected to nudge skeptical Americans to get vaccinated.
The news came out Sunday in Washington that the administration of US President Joseph Biden was pushing for the development of a document whereby people should be available to prove whether they have been vaccinated against covid-19 or if they have the antibodies due to having had the disease, it was reported by The Washington Post.
The document, also referred to as “vaccine passport” and should be very similar to the one already created in Israel as is under considerarion within the European Union, is expected to allow citizens to reopen their businesses and go back to their normal lives, which Biden himself has predicted might happen before Christmas as the number of Americans who have received a covid shot grows.
Biden's plans come right after New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Friday the creation of the IBM-devised Excelsior Pass.
“Similar to a mobile airline boarding pass, individuals will be able to either print out their pass or store it on their smartphones using the Excelsior Pass Wallet app,” New York authorities explained. But the app shall not be mandatory.
“Each pass will have a secure QR code, which participating businesses and venues can scan using a companion app to verify proof of COVID-19 negative test results or proof of vaccination. An individual’s data is kept secure and confidential at all times.”
But despite New York's efforts, calls for a unified system reached the White House, as governments around the world may seek proof of vaccinations before foreigners can enter their borders again.
The federal passports are expected to be free and available through smartphone apps, according to reports released Sunday.
The White House has appointed a team to coordinating dozens of agencies including military officials helping administer vaccines and health officials engaging in international vaccine efforts. Leading the team is Jeff Zients, who on March 1 explained that “our role is to help ensure that any solutions in this area should be simple, free, open source, accessible to people both digitally and on paper, and designed from the start to protect people’s privacy.”
Further announcements are expected in the coming days.
The passports are expected to be free and available through applications for smartphones, which could display a scannable code similar to an airline boarding pass. Americans without smartphone access should be able to print out the passports, developers have said. But the risk of forgeries has led authorities to be extra cautious. There are at least 17 vaccine passport projects, according to The Washington Post.
Proof of vaccination “may be a critical driver for restoring baseline population health and promoting safe return to social, commercial, and leisure activities,” The Washington Post quoted a document from Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology as having said on March 2. “A chaotic and ineffective vaccine credential approach could hamper our pandemic response by undercutting health safety measures, slowing economic recovery, and undermining public trust and confidence,” read another such document.
The US Center for Disease Control and Prevention, which is participating in the WHO’s effort to create “digital vaccination certificates,” also is preparing to help advise on the passport rollout.
Vaccine passports are also expected to motivate skeptical Americans to get shots, since the desire to travel and reunite with freinds and dear ones outweigh the fears of the injection, according to polls.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think once the US or Europe adopt a vaccine passport, many countries will follow. Same with any venue like sports events, concerts, conventions, restaurants, clubs, etc. start requiring a covid test or proof of vaccination, it will spread like wildfire.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And don't forget that having a vaccine only reduces your symptoms and does not mean you cannot carry CV19 and infect others, so you will also have to be tested anytime you do anything forever and ever and that is a long time, along with an annual booster shot to update your CV19 passport, of course.

Reactions: Russell

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
we must do it to protect ourselves. we must do it to protect our loved ones. we must do it to pro baaaaaa baaaaaa baaaaaaaa baaaaaaa baaaaaaa

I wish to protect myself from those Looney Larrys, Doomsday Davies, and Crazy Charlottes who wish to tell me how to protect the world.
I found that living my own proper life is a great form of protection.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
And don't forget that having a vaccine only reduces your symptoms and does not mean you cannot carry CV19 and infect others, so you will also have to be tested anytime you do anything forever and ever and that is a long time, along with an annual booster shot to update your CV19 passport, of course.

Finally, you knock one into the onion bag.
Just might be the game winner this time!

Reactions: Russell

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
from what I am hearing....this will not come from the federal government...,maybe the airlines, airports .....just what the USA has been doing during the pandemic.....letting the states decide what happens inside their borders, and that was a mess........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
from what I am hearing....this will not come from the federal government...,maybe the airlines, airports .....just what the USA has been doing during the pandemic.....letting the states decide what happens inside their borders, and that was a mess........
The Federal government has no say in what the states have the right to decide, but we cannot discuss US civics here. I agree that these decisions are being pushed over to the individual companies after initial news the government might do it.

Each company can decide on their own if they want their clients to be vaccinated, that includes airlines and cruise lines. Religious freedom does not give the religious a legal right to put others in jeopardy so if they refuse to vaccinate, they can stay home. Is that a mess? It is what it is.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
The pandemic will be over long before the world gets together to form some workable vaccine passport system. However, the world should be able to form an unworkable confusing system in short order.
But of course they can. They actually excell at it.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
The pandemic will be over long before the world gets together to form some workable vaccine passport system. However, the world should be able to form an unworkable confusing system in short order.
As a Canadian you can obtain the yellow International Immunization Booklet where all Vaccines are listed as being taken. This was specifically designed for 'Yellow Fever'' ... but accomodates all other vaccines. As stated previously Mine has been active since 1997.
I still have 2 pages left.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
If the US does, the DR will likely follow.
Regardless whom kicks it off, this Vaccine Passport will be big money for some enterprising Individual or Company...you can bet on that!
So it will happen, for sake of someones economy.
Assume nothing!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
More and more colleges and universities are saying the will require proof of vaccination this fall. Many colleges and schools have been requiring proof of vaccination for many years for certain diseases like meningitis and others: