Seaweed is back

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I took this video this morning of the beach infront of our place. We have never had seaweed this bad before. It runs as far as I can see in Uvero Alto. The hotels finally start filling up and then this happens

Attachments

• MOV_20210523_1117049.mp4
    25.8 MB
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: ALLOR925 and dulce

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
we had it in Juan Dolio for about a week...now gone. I suppose it needs a favorable wind to move it

I took this video this morning of the beach infront of our place. We have never had seaweed this bad before. It runs as far as I can see in Uvero Alto. The hotels finally start filling up and then this happens
It was pretty heavy when we visited the first of April, heading back towards the end of June. Hope it's lightened up by then, it seemed the AI's were doing a decent job at clearing if they were open for business. It is not good and one of the things that the greater Bavaro beach area needs to address for tourism.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Glad I chose the north coast to live.
As the crow flies you are not that far from Uvero Alto. There is still a lot more out at sea right now and a shift in wind can change things drastically. I hope you don't get it but mother nature can be nasty at times.
It just lands where it lands.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
the last time I was in Punta Cana... the smell was sooo bad, we left the hotel early....
Lol. Is there any place in this country without bad smells? I am not talking about your Dominican neighbors cooking, I am talking about air pollution in different cities or provinces. It's either the smell of rotten garbage, or the smell of burning garbage, or a sewage or some other fecal matter, or some factory produces some poisonous smoke, or (you name it)... I was thinking about Cap Cana area like maybe it's worth it to try to live there.... now you say it smells like rotten seaweed... it looks like anywhere you go in DR, there's some bad smell.

Reactions: USA DOC

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Lol. Is there any place in this country without bad smells? I am not talking about your Dominican neighbors cooking, I am talking about air pollution in different cities or provinces. It's either the smell of rotten garbage, or the smell of burning garbage, or a sewage or some other fecal matter, or some factory produces some poisonous smoke, or (you name it)... I was thinking about Cap Cana area like maybe it's worth it to try to live there.... now you say it smells like rotten seaweed... it looks like anywhere you go in DR, there's some bad smell.
I lived in 2 places in San Pedro and now live in Boca Chica. I've been to Dajabon, Puerta Plata (15 years ago), PC and Santiago. The only smells that were bad were the seaweed in Boca Chica and a cess pool in a batey in San Pedro. You had to be on top of it to smell it. Walk away 20 feet and you didn't know it was there.

Is there anything about this country you like?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I lived in 2 places in San Pedro and now live in Boca Chica. I've been to Dajabon, Puerta Plata (15 years ago), PC and Santiago. The only smells that were bad were the seaweed in Boca Chica and a cess pool in a batey in San Pedro. You had to be on top of it to smell it. Walk away 20 feet and you didn't know it was there.

Is there anything about this country you like?
I don't want to go off-topic here, but I can tell you that in tourist areas Dominicans deal with seaweed problem much better than Americans do it in places like Miami. In Miami they spend two weeks deciding what department has to bring some heavy equipment to clean the beach, and meanwhile seaweed just get rotten and produce more and more bad smell, and here in DR in front of resorts they just quickly bring a bunch of Haitians with shovels, and they clean it fast. And, in fact, bad smell from seaweed is the only bad smell here in DR that you can't blame Dominicans for.

Unfortunately, if the seaweed problem becomes persistent, living in the ocean front property becomes pointless.

Reactions: chico bill

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
From my balcony those huge patches look like man made islands in the sea. :(. The first time saw them I really thought I had overlooked that "island" before. LOL

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As Lynyrd Skynyrd sang: "Wooo That smell, Can't you smell that smell, The smell of death surrounds you"

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't want to go off-topic here, but I can tell you that in tourist areas Dominicans deal with seaweed problem much better than Americans do it in places like Miami. In Miami they spend two weeks deciding what department has to bring some heavy equipment to clean the beach, and meanwhile seaweed just get rotten and produce more and more bad smell, and here in DR in front of resorts they just quickly bring a bunch of Haitians with shovels, and they clean it fast. And, in fact, bad smell from seaweed is the only bad smell here in DR that you can't blame Dominicans for.

Unfortunately, if the seaweed problem becomes persistent, living in the ocean front property becomes pointless.
Well I wish that was the case but you would need half of Haiti to haul off all the seaweed and there is another tanker full waiting to wash up on the next 20 waves.
Sorry - last time I was in Punta Cana - I would rather have stayed home - the beach was a disaster and swimming in the ocean impossible

• Sad
Reactions: ALLOR925

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As the crow flies you are not that far from Uvero Alto. There is still a lot more out at sea right now and a shift in wind can change things drastically. I hope you don't get it but mother nature can be nasty at times.
It just lands where it lands.
It has, to my knowledge never landed in quantity on Cabarete beach. But I have only been here since 2003. Punta Cana seems to have a persistent problem.

How bad is the problem right now in Punta Cana?