American Locked Up In CCR-17

Therealmichaeluribe

Jul 17, 2021
Santo Domingo
Thank you for reading this:

Greetings, this is my first post to this platform as I am a new member, and with this in mind, my intention in posting is to gain perspective from those more versed in the country's operations/systems more than I:

Story / Why Am I Here

I had a small incident with my girlfriend of a few months here. She is native Dominican but has spent much time in the states. I am american, but my father is Dominican. I speak Spanish, however, not fluently.

My girl and I had a domestic violence incident that her friends who were jealous of us manipulated her into filing a claim against me, which was false.

Needless to say, after realizing the consequences of said actions, she went to drop the charges, but the prosector and judged still sentenced me. I am currently serving 3 months preventivo here at Narayo CCR-17.

Do you have a lawyer?

I have a trusted family lawyer who has been working on my behalf. He has prepared a defense appeal, which includes documents of the girl admitting to her faults, acknowledging she was threatened and extorted by the prosecutor to testify against me or she would face jail time, etc. My family also has a property were putting up as a collateral guarantee in defense of me not prematurely fleeing the country. We have documents signed and stating from the girl I have posed no act on her and that she is not threatened by me in any sense, etc.

Currently we are waiting on a court date for my appeal. It's been 2 weeks. I was told I should've been provided one in 48 hours but it was unlikely due to the system here delaying things cause of "the pandemic," and now I can wait up to 6 weeks. I'm currently at 2/6 weeks, from what I was told.

My Initial Judgement

The original judge ruled against me and sentenced me to three months based on the premise he couldn't guarantee I would stay in the country although we offered my passport; in my appeal to circumvent this we are now offering a property guarantee as well. The girl has clearly stated I did not commit any act against her, but yet I have still been ruled against.

In Conclusion

I created this post not for pity or as an act of desperation, but to gather perspective from those that might've been in a similar situation, or know of someone who has, or has come across an experience as such in some type of capacity.

I am looking for more understanding with the court system and their process of providing me my appeal date if anyone has any clarity on such.

I am also open to any positive feedback or commentary that can support or benefit me in my current experience via this forum or WhatsApp.

Thank you,

Mike

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thank you for reading this:

Greetings, this is my first post to this platform as I am a new member, and with this in mind, my intention in posting is to gain perspective from those more versed in the country's operations/systems more than I:

Story / Why Am I Here

I had a small incident with my girlfriend of a few months here. She is native Dominican but has spent much time in the states. I am american, but my father is Dominican. I speak Spanish, however, not fluently.

My girl and I had a domestic violence incident that her friends who were jealous of us manipulated her into filing a claim against me, which was false.

Needless to say, after realizing the consequences of said actions, she went to drop the charges, but the prosector and judged still sentenced me. I am currently serving 3 months preventivo here at Narayo CCR-17.

Do you have a lawyer?

I have a trusted family lawyer who has been working on my behalf. He has prepared a defense appeal, which includes documents of the girl admitting to her faults, acknowledging she was threatened and extorted by the prosecutor to testify against me or she would face jail time, etc. My family also has a property were putting up as a collateral guarantee in defense of me not prematurely fleeing the country. We have documents signed and stating from the girl I have posed no act on her and that she is not threatened by me in any sense, etc.

Currently we are waiting on a court date for my appeal. It's been 2 weeks. I was told I should've been provided one in 48 hours but it was unlikely due to the system here delaying things cause of "the pandemic," and now I can wait up to 6 weeks. I'm currently at 2/6 weeks, from what I was told.

My Initial Judgement

The original judge ruled against me and sentenced me to three months based on the premise he couldn't guarantee I would stay in the country although we offered my passport; in my appeal to circumvent this we are now offering a property guarantee as well. The girl has clearly stated I did not commit any act against her, but yet I have still been ruled against.

In Conclusion

I created this post not for pity or as an act of desperation, but to gather perspective from those that might've been in a similar situation, or know of someone who has, or has come across an experience as such in some type of capacity.

I am looking for more understanding with the court system and their process of providing me my appeal date if anyone has any clarity on such.

I am also open to any positive feedback or commentary that can support or benefit me in my current experience via this forum or WhatsApp.

Thank you,

Mike

You trust too much that Gf.
If she had dropped the charges, the MP wouldn’t have any other option than to remove any actions against you.

The only way this would not happen, had she really dropped the charges, would be when the MP has factual evidence of abuse by you to her person or an actual witness to the event willing to testify so in court.

Lacking those as per your statement of innocence, it only leaves the option of her not having dropped anything against you with the MP.

Good luck!🍀

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You trust too much that Gf.
If she had dropped the charges, the MP wouldn’t have any other option than to remove any actions against you.

The only way this would not happen, had she really dropped the charges, would be when the MP has factual evidence of abuse by you to her person or an actual witness to the event willing to testify so in court.
The Prosecutors are taking these cases more seriously, and anyway, the case can go on even if the she had dropped the charges, as this now is "action publica".

A couple of years ago, there was this case that got lots of attention: This guy who tried to murder his partner was set free by the prosecution, after she had allegedly signed an agreement.
When he got out he went and shot her to death. Then, it turns out that her signature had been forged. They want no more scandals like these. It doesn't matter if the victim drops the charges.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As soon as you can get out book a yola to PR. Don't surrender your passport if possible - keep it. You are already a marked man to be milked of all the money they can get, because you are an extranjero.
After you are tapped out of funds, you might get some 'justice'

Reactions: Big

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
The Prosecutors are taking these cases more seriously, and anyway, the case can go on even if the she had dropped the charges, as this now is "action publica".

A couple of years ago, there was this case that got lots of attention: This guy who tried to murder his partner was set free by the prosecution, after she had allegedly signed an agreement.
When he got out he went and shot her to death. Then, it turns out that her signature had been forged. They want no more scandals like these. It doesn't matter if the victim drops the charges.
Exactly. The victim (so called) needn't press the charges. With sufficient evidence, the officer can. Sometimes for both.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Exactly. The victim (so called) needn't press the charges. With sufficient evidence, the officer can. Sometimes for both.
This is certainly correct. It is really up to the Fiscal to prosecute or not. Pretty much the same as it would be in most Countries.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I love reading these true love stories. Nothing says I love you more than having your significant other locked up and soaked for coin. Why just move on with your life when you can cause mucho drama and get a pocket full of pesos

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
He is in Najayo (he has spelt it wrong) which was one of the first new model prisons. I don't think it's quite so easy to buy your way out of that jail. Adam Cáceres and Jean Alain Rodríguez who were key players in Danilo's government are both in the same place so I presume it will be heavily defended and not so easy to buy your way out.

He also says he has been sentenced to 3 months which i guess is preventiva and this is because he is regarded as a flight risk. He hasn't had his trial yet so he is just being held pending the trial. As he is a US national this is a reasonable position for the Judge to take and i think it would be hard to overturn their decision on this one.

My advice would be to spend money on a proper top flight lawyer. In another thread i recommended Jose Hoepelman who is a very well known defence lawyer and would be worth talking to. He definitely needs someone who is very well connected in Dominican society as who they know will have a big influence on results.

I think the emphasis should not be on trying to get bail during the remainder of the 3 months but on trying to make sure he isn't convicted at trial. A conviction would result in a long sentence of several years.

As a woman i have to say it is refreshing to hear that allegations of violence against women is taken so seriously. We can only hope that the trial is fair and that justice is done.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I love reading these true love stories. Nothing says I love you more than having your significant other locked up and soaked for coin. Why just move on with your life when you can cause mucho drama and get a pocket full of pesos
He did say that there was some domestic violence so I presume he means he hit her. That's how this started. There is never a justification for a man to beat a woman. Suggesting that the lady is at fault for getting him locked up ignores the fact that he hit her.

No woman should be expected to just move on with her life if a man hits her.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Did he hit her?, that is my question. Any kind of violence, verbal or physical for me is a "done it is over" situation. But the OP has not been clear on the "domestic violence" charges. Lets see if he comes back to answer anything. There may be a reason he is in Najayo.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Did he hit her?, that is my question. Any kind of violence, verbal or physical for me is a "done it is over" situation. But the OP has not been clear on the "domestic violence" charges. Lets see if he comes back to answer anything. There may be a reason he is in Najayo.

Well he hasn't been tried as yet, all that has happened is that he has been locked up to stop him leaving the country until his trial takes place. So the question of what he did or didn't do has yet to see the light of day.

Given how the judges are all new, and the new government is obsessed with American tourists, I think it would be very strange to lock up a US national who had done nothing. So I suspect that he did hit her, the police were involved, and there may be evidence in the form of photos, witness statements (maybe the neighbors heard something?) and so on. If, as he says, the only evidence that they have is her statement which she has now withdrawn, it's likely that he will be free in a few weeks when the case comes to trial. But if they have more, then he is going to need a lawyer who is part of the mob to fix this one - a family lawyer won't be able to undo this unless he's got the right name and the right reputation.

Therealmichaeluribe

Jul 17, 2021
Santo Domingo
Well he hasn't been tried as yet, all that has happened is that he has been locked up to stop him leaving the country until his trial takes place. So the question of what he did or didn't do has yet to see the light of day.

Given how the judges are all new, and the new government is obsessed with American tourists, I think it would be very strange to lock up a US national who had done nothing. So I suspect that he did hit her, the police were involved, and there may be evidence in the form of photos, witness statements (maybe the neighbors heard something?) and so on. If, as he says, the only evidence that they have is her statement which she has now withdrawn, it's likely that he will be free in a few weeks when the case comes to trial. But if they have more, then he is going to need a lawyer who is part of the mob to fix this one - a family lawyer won't be able to undo this unless he's got the right name and the right reputation.
I did not harm her. She has signed documents stating that she was violent, started the incident, harmed herself, and was extorted by the prosecutor. She has a personality disorder and harmed herself, and I've been blamed for her own self inflictions. There is a photo of her injury that she caused to her own person; the prosecutor said if she did not go against me he would put her in jail.

• Wow
Reactions: Sailor51