Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Truth
D8CA0F8F-3E95-4BCA-8723-C75988D253EA.jpeg

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It's always been this way.. People fall in love with a place for one reason or another, and hate another place for one reason or another.. Then they move and later change their minds and decide that they want the place they love to be more like the place they hated.. Makes absolutely no sense.. Human nature that is...

• Love
Reactions: Sailor51

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Forgive me for saying this AE and please don't get mad but, that "meme" could very easily be construed as a "political talking point of the nativist sort".
Honestly...
The timing of the two threads, this one and the other one about no political statements of any sort, seemed a little odd to me.
I guess it just goes to show how we all have very different perspectives on things.
It might also clarify for me why I have always felt a bit like a fish out of water here at dr1.
Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I want to add, people do NOT necessarily come here because they didn't like it there.

That's too simplistic imho, people also move because they want to experience something different.

I personally still like it there while still loving here. I am where I am suppose to be at this point of my life. Doubt that it would be the same in 10 years though.

I agree with the last point though as not to change here to make it like other there. I appreciate the differences (some more than others) and that s why I am here for now.

My 2 pesos :cool:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Perhaps the point of gringo pricing is to make "here" feel more like "there". I appreciate the Dominicans who make an effort to make us feel at home. Lol!
And some Gladly PAY it , and even add a 20% TIP, and then call the rest of us CHEAP .... lmao..

But you have to hand it to Dominicans, they even do it to NYC Dominicans , ( their own). who they think are all RICH
.... I will never forget the look on the faces of the Dominicans who were chowing down on Lobsters like they were Hot dogs on Playa Rincon ,, and they did not ask for Prices before hand .. They got the Bill , expecting like $100 equivalent , and I think the bill was like $300... LOL...
I fell for it once myself .. ended up paying like 400 pesos for a Coco Loco, with NO Rum in it .. we paid our chairs and said Thank you, we wont be needing anything else from you .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
And some Gladly PAY it , and even add a 20% TIP, and then call the rest of us CHEAP .... lmao..

But you have to hand it to Dominicans, they even do it to NYC Dominicans , ( their own). who they think are all RICH
.... I will never forget the look on the faces of the Dominicans who were chowing down on Lobsters like they were Hot dogs on Playa Rincon ,, and they did not ask for Prices before hand .. They got the Bill , expecting like $100 equivalent , and I think the bill was like $300... LOL...
I fell for it once myself .. ended up paying like 400 pesos for a Coco Loco, with NO Rum in it .. we paid our chairs and said Thank you, we wont be needing anything else from you .
I think it happens to all of us...... once. Then there are others who seem to be gluttons for punishment.

Reactions: jd426

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Some folks always look for greener grass. Never thought I was one.
I finally got my wife to go look at PR.
She has never been but had a long list of negatives which I poo pooed.
We took a taxi from the ferry boat dock to the airport in San Juan to rent a car.
The taxi driver asked us where we were from and when we replied DR he immediately asked us why we would ever leave the DR for Puerto Rico.
Next he rattled off a list of what's wrong with Puerto Rico that was nearly word for word what my wife had said for two years.
Bless her soul my dear wife never said a word and just grinned.
We found PR to not compare well to the DR.
When we got home I told her she was right, I was wrong and that I needed to listen to her more in the future.
She liked that.
It rained a lot while we were gone and when we got back our little lawn was bright green.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The overly simplistic meme is not even close to correct in my case. I really liked it "There" . I would have never left "There" had it not been for circumstances beyond my control. And I would not be "Here" , I would not have even visited here because I would be living in a different "Somewhere" very far from here and not my original "There" if it was not for another set of circumstances beyond my control,

When I see people try to change what is in my current here since 2003, I mention that "They are not the tail that is going to wag that dog." Will I still complain about certain things here? For sure, but I do realize I am not that tail either.

Reactions: Eugene_A

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
In retrospect (and I've lived in a few different places) I find the reason I left is because so many 'others' moved in.
Naturally wanting it to be like 'home'. Growth ain't always progress ...

Reactions: Africaida

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have a hard time being in 2 places at the same time......when sometimes I think I might not be anyplace at all ?.........

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Don't want to change much - just clean up litter and better care for animals.
If that makes me an outcast so be it.
As for politics - I'm glad to see sidewalks getting fixed around Sosua

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Most of the things I've seen expats here complain about, Dominicans complain about also. Noise is a good example. When I came here 15 years' ago, very little was being done about colmados and other establishments playing music at ear splitting hours at all hours of the night. Now, there are frequent stories about Medio Ambiente confiscating and destroying the sound equipment from these places. Even in the barrios, many would like nothing better than to see the sound laws better enforced.

Electric and water are other examples. Dominicans are fed up with the lack of water and power and have pretested many times over this. In many respects, Dominicans want the same things we do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If I bitch about electricity, I am told to get solar panels, if I bitch about lack or water, I am told to dig a well. And I could do both, some day I might do one or the other or even both. For now, I don't have to but:

"Well", most Dominicans cannot do either for themselves. In my area they are in Barrio Blanco, Callejon de la Loma or La Cienaga. They have to rely , and should be able to rely, upon constant supplies of both water and electricity. The government running both of those utilities should be a clue as to why they have been so unreliable over time for many people. In my area, electricity has improved by making people pay. So that is good. Water? I had great water pressure for over 10 years. Now, when it is on, the pressure is 10 lbs. or less. There are more people and far less water. Supply has not kept up with demand. That absolutely sucks now for many people who don't have a 5,000 gallons cistern , pressure tank and pump like I do.

Where I am the noise situation has not been a major issue, thankfully

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Most of the things I've seen expats here complain about, Dominicans complain about also. Noise is a good example. When I came here 15 years' ago, very little was being done about colmados and other establishments playing music at ear splitting hours at all hours of the night. Now, there are frequent stories about Medio Ambiente confiscating and destroying the sound equipment from these places. Even in the barrios, many would like nothing better than to see the sound laws better enforced.

Electric and water are other examples. Dominicans are fed up with the lack of water and power and have pretested many times over this. In many respects, Dominicans want the same things we do.

I second that emotion.
The carwashes were the worst.
Are there more cases, than average, of deaf Dominicans per capita, I wonder.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I second that emotion.
The carwashes were the worst.
Are there more cases, than average, of deaf Dominicans per capita, I wonder.

not really looking for argument or debate ..

but how in the world does a Car wash possible affect you, unless you choose to LIVE near one ?
Would that not be part of the Homework , before putting down first months rent ?
just like making sure you are not going to get Flooded, every time it Rains .

just curious .