70.1% of the Dominican population is overweight or obese and 32% have hypertension

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
70.1% of the Dominican population is overweight or obese and 32% have hypertension 44% of those with hypertension do not know it and do not use treatment.

Hypertension is present in 32% of the Dominican population, being more frequent in men and in those over 45 years of age, according to the results of the First National Day of Hypertension, Diabetes and Obesity of the Ministry of Public Health.

The results of the study carried out during the months of May to July of this year in a sample of some 7,497 people who attended the preventive sessions carried out by Public Health at the national level, detected that 70.1% of the population is overweight or obese.

In addition, it was detected that 32% of the population has arterial hypertension; 12% diabetes; 33% obese and 36% overweight, among other risk factors that lead to cardiovascular disease.

This with the aggravation, that 45% of those detected did not know that they had hypertension, therefore, they did not use any treatment, 33% of those detected did not know that they suffered from diabetes.

The study found that being over 45 is one of the main risk factors.

The results were announced in the Ministry of Public Health during an activity headed by the Minister of Public Health, Dr. Daniel Rivera, who highlighted the importance of early diagnosis of hypertension and achieving changes in the lifestyle of the population.

Source: Listin Diario

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
When the Ministry of Public Health offers "preventive sessions" termed the "First National Day of Hypertension , Diabetes and Obesity" what sort of folks would you expect to show up?
Certainly not young, healthy, slim non diabetic types. Those people are out playing baseball or at the beach.
To extrapolate the data from the conference attendees to the entire Dominican population seems a stretch.
If you want accurate percentages you need to look at the general population and a lot more numbers.
Hypertension is called "the silent killer" because there are no symptoms and unless you check your bp you would not know you have it.
Drawing attention to obesity, diabetes and overall health is a great idea but I would want to include smoking and alcohol use into the equation.
Maybe along with preventive sessions the DR could look at health being taught in schools.

Reactions: Kricke87

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'd like to see the breakdown by age and sex.
Certainly the men tend to be leaner than the women, at least until their latter years.
But when almost everything eaten seems to be fried it's no wonder waistlines are expanded.
And the participation rate in excersise seems low.
Add in lots of alcohol and you have the recipe for early graves.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have noticed the difference in the overall size of Dominicans , weight wise , since I first came here in 1987. Perhaps it is a more affluent society, more cars and motos, less people walking. More money for eating in restaurants....etc. Here is Jarabacoa when I go for my earlier morning walk there are lots of people out exercising. Lots of people going to the gyms ( and there are quite a few gyms), lot of cyclists, lots of older people walking, the basketball court is always full at the city hall, either with volleyball or basketball. There is lots of baseball and soccer being played but there are lots of people sitting around drinking, eating too much, smoking e-cigs, hooka,......and the restaurants and friteras are always filled. Pizza delivery is very busy- Americanization has not been a good thing.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have noticed the difference in the overall size of Dominicans , weight wise , since I first came here in 1987. Perhaps it is a more affluent society, more cars and motos, less people walking. More money for eating in restaurants....etc. Here is Jarabacoa when I go for my earlier morning walk there are lots of people out exercising. Lots of people going to the gyms ( and there are quite a few gyms), lot of cyclists, lots of older people walking, the basketball court is always full at the city hall, either with volleyball or basketball. There is lots of baseball and soccer being played but there are lots of people sitting around drinking, eating too much, smoking e-cigs, hooka,......and the restaurants and friteras are always filled. Pizza delivery is very busy- Americanization has not been a good thing.
I certainly noticed it too. In my opinion the extensive (over) use of cooking oils doesnt help. Sugar and fat together is the worst. People are loading up on cheap carbs which converts to sugar plus sugars plus fats not protein.
25 years ago I believed people used less cooking oils .

Reactions: SD Este

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I certainly noticed it too. In my opinion the extensive (over) use of cooking oils does not help. Sugar and fat together is the worst. People are loading up on cheap carbs which converts to sugar plus sugars plus fats not protein.
25 years ago I believed people used less cooking oils .

Making generalizations about the Dominican population based on personal views can be misleading.
I noticed in Sosua there seem to be more overweight people. Even the working girls are getting fat.
When I spent time in Villa Altagrassia there were very few overweight folks so it may well be that when people have more disposable income they end up gaining weight.
Excessive body weight is a large health issue in the US.
When I get off the plane back in the states the first thing that strikes me is the number of overweight people compared to the Dominicans.

I doubt anyone is going to be able to get Dominicans to make dietary changes.
Give up white rice with fried eggs swimming in vegetable oil is not happening anytime soon.
I watch my family cook eggs daily.
Into an expensive non stick teflon pan goes a glass full of vegetable oil then two eggs cooked on full high.
The eggs are done once the kitchen is filled with smoke.

A fatter future is likely in store for the Dominican population.
Maybe its still better than being skinny and dirt poor!
At least they will be able to afford medical care for treatment of the myriad illnesses that accompany obesity.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Some one should make a list of all the bad things. Just to see where we stand on that list.
Drugs =paranoia, leads to hypertension.
Alcholol = sedate lifestyle.
Deep dish pizza = obesity.
Fried chicken, see above.
Etc. etc.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Making generalizations about the Dominican population based on personal views can be misleading......At least they will be able to afford medical care for treatment of the myriad illnesses that accompany obesity.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
(1) Sugar drinks (coke, etc) plus (2) fried foods plus (3) rice*! Not good diet. Here OR there. Ever pop in Walmart? Aaahhhh!!!
*Sumo wrestlers use rice to bulk up. HUGE rice servings here there & …. Makes me gain weight too.

Reactions: Squat and CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
(1) Sugar drinks (coke, etc) plus (2) fried foods plus (3) rice*! Not good diet. Here OR there. Ever pop in Walmart? Aaahhhh!!!
*Sumo wrestlers use rice to bulk up. HUGE rice servings here there & …. Makes me gain weight too.
The amount of carbonated drinks consumed here is astonishing.

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
I've been pleasantly surprised to see the number of people, of all shapes and sizes, exercising. Walking, running...and long distances too, cycling, even spinning classes. And not just in the cities but even in smaller towns. Basketball is HUGE and of course baseball. It's much more prevalent in the last 10 years than the 10 before at least in my experience.

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
Making generalizations about the Dominican population based on personal views can be misleading.
I noticed in Sosua there seem to be more overweight people. Even the working girls are getting fat.
When I spent time in Villa Altagrassia there were very few overweight folks so it may well be that when people have more disposable income they end up gaining weight.
Excessive body weight is a large health issue in the US.
When I get off the plane back in the states the first thing that strikes me is the number of overweight people compared to the Dominicans.

I doubt anyone is going to be able to get Dominicans to make dietary changes.
Give up white rice with fried eggs swimming in vegetable oil is not happening anytime soon.
I watch my family cook eggs daily.
Into an expensive non stick teflon pan goes a glass full of vegetable oil then two eggs cooked on full high.
The eggs are done once the kitchen is filled with smoke.

A fatter future is likely in store for the Dominican population.
Maybe its still better than being skinny and dirt poor!
At least they will be able to afford medical care for treatment of the myriad illnesses that accompany obesity.
I see lots, far more than 10, 15 or more years ago when 97.23% of the population seemed thin and even fit.

Cooking everything in cheap vegetable oil, salting things to death and eating friggin salami, fried and cheese for breakfast along with fast food and American influence is killing people. The DR is 20+ years behind North America and further behind Europe as far as health and food and lifestyle is concerned.

On the other hand, I see people eating smaller portions and better food in restaurants and family and friends making a sincere effort to get thinner and healthier. More and more are vegetarian and eating from their plots in the campo of their own gardens. We've got a hell of a garden at home and are verging on self sufficient with food from the family farms where the extended fam raises livestock too.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I would say the amount of food is more the problem than the quality of food---- though all that fried stuff doesn't help much.
Not only do Dominicans seem to NEED to eat at least 3 times a day, but the helpings are huge ----- and variety is scarce.

In my case activity is the key to keeping fit. And I don't mean sport ( although it could be ) but just getting up and doing stuff.... any stuff, walking, gardening, cleaning, running, etc..... anything beats just mooting around.

Reactions: Squat and SD Este

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
I would say the amount of food is more the problem than the quality of food---- though all that fried stuff doesn't help much.
Not only do Dominicans seem to NEED to eat at least 3 times a day, but the helpings are huge ----- and variety is scarce.

In my case activity is the key to keeping fit. And I don't mean sport ( although it could be ) but just getting up and doing stuff.... any stuff, walking, gardening, cleaning, running, etc..... anything beats just mooting around.
Any kind of exercise is good and things like gardening, walking, cleaning are all excellent exercise.