Tourism grows in leaps and bounds; record bookings for November and December

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Turistas-El-Dia-e1619443060932.jpg

We will show that the Dominican Republic is the best tourist destination in the world, said President Luis Abinader when attending the July monthly briefing of the Ministry of Tourism on the recovery of the industry. Tourism Minister David Collado announced the 572,644 arrivals in July are 24% more than the visitors that had come in June 2021.

Presenting results for the first seven months of the year, Tourism Minister David Collado proudly highlighted that the total of air arrivals is 97% of the tourists that came in pre-pandemic July 2019 (591,348).

In total, the country has received 2,470,282 visitors between January and July 2021. Overall, this is still far from the 4,166,646 tourists that arrived in the same period of 2019.

The Ministry of Tourism says the numbers of tourists are clear indicators the industry is recovering. The Ministry says that bookings for...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I work outside the resorts and if they are "coming" they are staying within the resorts. I had a talk with a "strong" local business that caters to tourists and his words were..."the first time since they were in business in 1992, where business was slower in July, than it was in June". I can back that up. No time for high fives and fireworks yet. August is not looking great and then we have the typically slow months of September and October to labour through.

Playabavaro

Aug 19, 2020
Canada/punta cana
It won't continue if a solution isn't found for the mounds of Seaweed in the Punta Cana/Bavaro Tourist areas. It is getting out of control, and once people realize its not your typical beach seaweed, it will all go downhill from there and will affect the rest of the DR.
It was bad a few months ago then cleared up ,are you saying it's back again??

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
I like the north coast
Must trips to Dominican Republic from Canada only seems like you can book a trip in November for Punta Cana

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There are numerous novels that the British author, Graham Greene wrote, more or less half a century ago based in Cuba and several African countries and he refers to the Ministry of Misinformation and he writes about the vagaries of the various Government departments he would have had a field day in the DR. It is quite impossible to believe any figures at face value that come out of a Dominican Government Department. The census figures are way out, the tourist figures and the percentage of people who have had a double dose of vaccine do not tally up with other information and so everything from the departments has to be taken with a large grain of salt..

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There are numerous novels that the British author, Graham Greene wrote, more or less half a century ago based in Cuba and several African countries and he refers to the Ministry of Misinformation and he writes about the vagaries of the various Government departments he would have had a field day in the DR. It is quite impossible to believe any figures at face value that come out of a Dominican Government Department. The census figures are way out, the tourist figures and the percentage of people who have had a double dose of vaccine do not tally up with other information and so everything from the departments has to be taken with a large grain of salt..
If you pay attention to the PISA (Program for International Student Assessment) you would see this country places dead last out of 79 (rank 79th) when it comes to Math. Add to this the lax culture when it comes to being responsible and following procedures (dotting the "i" and crossing the "t") as they are written...
for better or worse those figures could easily be way off.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I have been watching vacation packages this past week for November travel. For PC, 4-4.5 star resorts are around $1300 average pp from Canada for a week AI. I haven’t seen that cheap in a long time.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Exactly Auryn. If you look at the search site,Booking.Com you can see that literally thousands of rooms are available and then when you look at the flights arrivals at Punta Cana you can see that apart from a direct Air France flight from Paris nearly all flights are from the USA. I have picked up friends from Las Americas in SD recently who have all told me the flights were jammed with Dominicans ,so I wonder if these people are counted as tourists.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If they're not residents - yes, they must count as tourists

The gov't tracks tourists and residents differently - as I understand it
They cite both numbers in their reporting

Reactions: CristoRey

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I like the north coast
Must trips to Dominican Republic from Canada only seems like you can book a trip in November for Punta Cana
Yes the north coast is my favorite.....many years ago Puerto Plata was the established tourist area ....and Punta Cana was the new place.........

Reactions: thompstr

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Well yeah, got an email from Gaza at Puerto Bahia. Hurricane rates are .55 US a foot. (monthly) But it is hurricane season ...so.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes the north coast is my favorite.....many years ago Puerto Plata was the established tourist area ....and Punta Cana was the new place.........
That seems like a distant memory now that when I moved here there were frequent flights with reasonable connections at POP.
Long gone and unlikely to ever come close to what it was pre-Punta Cana.