Sloppy Concrete Work ork

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
While rare, I stopped at Checkpoint yesterday after my lunch elsewhere, for a beer soda. I was the sole customer - proof that Canadian tourism is suffering.

I glanced across the street to look at the recent and lauded murals painted on the building walls and noticed the recent (and needed) concrete sidewalk upgrades had splattered concrete several feet up on the artwork.
Not sure if there is a plan to remove the splatter and have the artists return to restore their work or just leave it? I know the same thing happened by Playero and they came back to fix the damage.

Having been in the construction of homes for sale during my past I can recall chewing out my subcontractor for splattering expensive patio doors with concrete when a cheap roll of building paper and masking tape is all that is needed to prevent the issue and eliminate expensive cleaning.
Anyway it is a shame to see the murals (many signed by their artist) treated so cavalier.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Nothing worse then sloppy construction work . Especially when it's effecting others work. I have million stories too.

Reactions: windeguy

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
My first year in the DR was probably the most educational here. Over 2 days I watched 2 different paint crews in a friends apartment. The first crew came in and painted the walls. The second crew came in and spray painted the doors and trim. They got overspray on everything. The first crew came back and repainted the walls. They got roller splash and brush marks all over the doors and trim.

You guessed it, the second crew came back and got overspray all over the walls. This went on for at least 2 days before he fired them all and did it himself.
(He did supply plastic and drop cloths but nobody knew what they were even after showing both crews)

That was my first experience with Dominican craftsmen. Funny AF but it gets expensive after a while.

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
I grit my teeth every time my land lady gets someone to do work on the building. Seems the norm that the job either won't be complete or will require rework to make it right.
Most recently she had some renovations done to convert a sitting room into a bedroom.
Drywall and paint crews did decent work but the guy that hung the door used round head screws on the hinges, which caused the door to bind on the hinges, twisting the door jamb and cracking the drywall filler. There was a ½” gap on the latch side. He put up the closet rod with screws directly into the drywall, no anchors or anything to support the weight. Another team mounted a TV on the concrete wall. The bracket was upside down, and uncentered, the too small anchors used had too short screws so the top of the bracket pulled away from the wall in 2 days. The co-ax cable was cut too short to allow the TV to be pulled out. An AC power outlet was added, fed from an outlet on the opposite side of the wall, only 2 wires, no ground, and tape not fully covering the twisted splices at the donor outlet.

I rectified all of these issues for her.

It really annoys me that they do such shitty work and even more so that she pays them for it.

Reactions: chico bill

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I grit my teeth every time my land lady gets someone to do work on the building. Seems the norm that the job either won't be complete or will require rework to make it right.
Most recently she had some renovations done to convert a sitting room into a bedroom.
Drywall and paint crews did decent work but the guy that hung the door used round head screws on the hinges, which caused the door to bind on the hinges, twisting the door jamb and cracking the drywall filler. There was a ½” gap on the latch side. He put up the closet rod with screws directly into the drywall, no anchors or anything to support the weight. Another team mounted a TV on the concrete wall. The bracket was upside down, and uncentered, the too small anchors used had too short screws so the top of the bracket pulled away from the wall in 2 days. The co-ax cable was cut too short to allow the TV to be pulled out. An AC power outlet was added, fed from an outlet on the opposite side of the wall, only 2 wires, no ground, and tape not fully covering the twisted splices at the donor outlet.

I rectified all of these issues for her.

It really annoys me that they do such shitty work and even more so that she pays them for it.
The round headed screw is the worse I'v ever could have imagined! But, think of it as....at least he didn't try to hammer it flat so as to fit. :cautious:

• Haha
Reactions: chico bill
Status
Not open for further replies.