Abinader government disburses millions for the Catholic Church

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Catholic-Rosary-Cross-Pixabay-768x1024.jpg

The Abinader administration has made available millions of pesos for the completion of works related to the Santo Cristo de los Milagros Sanctuary in Monte Plata. The religious site has capacity for 2,000 persons and had been inaugurated by former President Danilo Medina on 10 August 2020, days before the change of administration but was missing access roads and other works that are being funded by the new authorities. Abinader visited the shrine last Friday, 10 September 2021.

Now, Administrative Minister of the Presidency Jose Ignacio Paliza announces another RD$8.26 million for the improvements of another Roman Catholic emblematic church. The government is funding improvements for the parishioner office at the Santo Cerro historic site in La Vega in time for the 24 September 2021 Our Lady of Mercy (Dia de las Mercedes) celebrations, an official holiday. The virgin...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Can anyone tell me why the government of the Republica Dominicana is disbursing this amount to one of the wealthiest institutions on Earth

Reactions: thompstr

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Can anyone tell me why the government of the Republica Dominicana is disbursing this amount to one of the wealthiest institutions on Earth
I just won a $100 bet. You would be the first to respond. To answer your question: To complete a project started by another administration. Good enough? Your question will open the flood gates to a doomed tread, I'm sure.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
According to Article VII of the Concordat of 1954 between the Holy See and the Dominican Republic, signed by Hector Trujillo, the government is required to build or provide cathedrals, residences for the bishops and administrative centers for the then
-existing or future dioceses of the Dominican Republic.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I just won a $100 bet. You would be the first to respond. To answer your question: To complete a project started by another administration. Good enough? Your question will open the flood gates to a doomed tread, I'm sure.
The thread is not yet doomed. Nan gave a charitable and I gave a factual reply.

On the other hand, further attempts at bashing very well might cause closure.

TL : DR. Mods are watching so stay on topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: johne and JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
On topic this is........back to the middle ages, you could buy your own stairway to Heaven. the more money tithed the longer the stairway...and led Zepplin said so...............
Yes of course, and the whole subject of DR, money, church, buying Popehood would be a great topic here on DR1...but would never survive the test of staying on topic including DR related.

Reactions: USA DOC

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes of course, and the whole subject of DR, money, church, buying Popehood would be a great topic here on DR1...but would never survive the test of staying on topic including DR related.
You are 100% right........

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Without the support of the Catholic church to the Dominican independence movement, there would never be a DR. From the start of the country the Catholic church has been very important to the Dominican government. Even have provinces named after Catholic monsignor.

Can't travel on the Duarte Highway from Santo Domingo to Santiago without passing through a province named after him:

R6G28x.jpg

Right Bonao?

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As another hint, the Ministry of Education is supporting reading and to show that it will distribute for free Catholic Bibles to public school students.

Every year in October the anniversary of the founding of the Central Bank is celebrated with a Catholic mass at the Central Bank's auditorium. By the way, the cross on the wall behind the stage is always there.

The Constitutional Tribunal at the Supreme Court. Here are some of the judges with the main one behind the crucifix.
R6GCn1.png

The President at the Presidential Office in the National Palace. Look at the painting on the wall to his right (not to mention the cross and the Catholic Bible in the country's coat of arms.)
R6Go6g.jpg

There is a statue of San Judas Tadeo, the saint of the National Police, on a corner of the parking lot at the National Police headquarters. His day is celebrated by the institution with a mass.

A plaza to Jesus Christ was built by the government very close to the National Palace. It even includes a statue of Jesus Christ in the center.

Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And.....all of the above including necessary repairs and upkeep of the RC church in the DR is supported by the Concordant of 1954, I believe.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
According to Article VII of the Concordat of 1954 between the Holy See and the Dominican Republic, signed by Hector Trujillo, the government is required to build or provide cathedrals, residences for the bishops and administrative centers for the then
-existing or future dioceses of the Dominican Republic.

I was very aware of the power of the catholic church in the RD. But did not realise it was to this extent. The last two paragraphs in your article are shocking. Maybe time for change as this was implemented during a dictatorship and is now a political democracy ?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And.....all of the above including necessary repairs and upkeep of the RC church in the DR is supported by the Concordant of 1954, I believe.
That simply formalized what was already happening since the beginning of the country. Nothing new started with the concordat.

The name La Trinitaria didn't came out of thin air.

The DR even had leaders from the Catholic church as presidents well before Trujillo rose to power. The guy presented above once was the president of the country. That's Monseñor Nouel (Bonao is the capital of the Monseñor Nouel province.)

Last edited:
Reactions: johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was very aware of the power of the catholic church in the RD. But did not realise it was to this extent. The last two paragraphs in your article are shocking. Maybe time for change as this was implemented during a dictatorship and is now a political democracy ?
LOL. As evidenced by the subject tread.......I don't think soooooo

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
A post with quoted material must contain a link to the original source.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Scot Tosh, your views on religion in the DR are off topic and not an area that is permissible to discuss. Unless you can post something germane to the original post, stay out of this thread.

Ignore me at your peril!

Reactions: AlterEgo

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
That simply formalized what was already happening since the beginning of the country. Nothing new started with the concordat.

The name La Trinitaria didn't came out of thin air.

The DR even had leaders from the Catholic church as presidents well before Trujillo rose to power. The guy presented above once was the president of the country. That's Monseñor Nouel (Bonao is the capital of the Monseñor Nouel province.)

Perhaps the Dominican government should start distributing history books.......to tourists.