First Sosua Cabarete Well Dug

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

28 November 2021​

First well dug

First well dug

Vivir​

The first of the four wells is currently being dug in the area of ??El Choco by the water company CORAAPLATA. At the end of August, Oliver Nazario Brugal, director of the water company, was given permission by the president to build four wells for Sosúa and Cabarete. With the construction of these four wells, the director hopes to solve the main water problems for the two tourist towns for the time being. But the definitive solution to the water problem must be solved with the construction of a new aqueduct.​

Reactions: Grampa

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Not so sure about Dominican Republic, but here in Canada a good well produces about 10-15 gallons per minute
If thats the case there, not a lot of water out of 4 wells

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Definitely a band-aid but I don't think anyone will complain.

Reactions: Grampa

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Correct the size and likely the depths they are drilling might supply Casa Linda or Sea Horse ranch if they pump 24/7 and have a large water tank, otherwise all they will do is produce enough daily for a few homes and over time lower the water table

Reactions: thompstr

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Political dribble, as pointed out. Four wells like this for thousands of customers is comical.

I guess I have to do my own.

Reactions: thompstr

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Again. We have not had ANY city water for.... over 5 years?
We also see projects going in that will require mega huge amounts of water and electrical.
This year we have had good rainfall and have not had to use our well and RO systems that much. Costs add up using them.
Harvesting rain water has worked very nicely. Gutters can be installed at rather low cost. Using a Leaf Catcher system is a key in the system. Then plumbed into the cistern. Maybe an inline filtration and UV before going to house.

Reactions: kristachase

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just got back from Medio Ambiente in Santo Domingo to apply for a permit for a private well.
The city has already approved the work, but now we have to wait for up to a month for an inspector to bless the well. Or not.
And that could only be done by going to Santo Domingo, once to deposit the paperwork and yet another trip to actually pick up the permit if it is granted. Medio Ambiente in Puerto Plata could only give us the requirements list on a sheet of paper. They used to be able to do the entire process in Puerto Plata, but no more.

I tried to explain that there was this thing called "The Internet" where the necessary documents could be uploaded to Medio Ambiente, but the horse an buggy approach was the only way to move forward. A developing nation, developing very slowly in some aspects.

Yeah, I'll get right on to collecting rain water for my cistern as soon as I finish the solar panel installations and peel a few grapes.
But seriously , collecting rain water would not be a solution on my property. I would never even consider it.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Anything new on the well drilling in Cabarete?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anything new on the well drilling in Cabarete?
I have no improvement on water or pressure. I cannot imagine how three such wells will make any difference at all for tens of thousands of people so affected. There has been sufficient water at about 5 pounds of pressure in the past week to keep water in the cistern and not run out. Water from the street is off at this moment.

The new aqueduct, to solve the root cause of the water problems, discussed with us by Medio Ambiente's inspector from Santo Domingo when she came to look at our site for pozo tubular approval is as certain as the Cabarete Bypass or Sosua Beach improvements. Another "pipe dream" , in a manner of speaking.

Still waiting on Medio Ambiente for my own personal pozo tubular approval. Perhaps this month if not delayed by Omicron or the government.