PLD and Alianza Pais political parties join voices against Punta Catalina Trust contract

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Logos-PLD-y-Alianza-Pais.png

Deputies representing the Dominican Liberation Party (PLD) had voted yes in the fast-tracked passing of the Punta Catalina Trust in Congress. Now, that the bill just needs the positive vote of the Senate, the party is speaking out against the contract and is calling on the Presidency to withdraw it from Congress to make corrections. The PLD, that is the largest opposition party, now maintains that while trusts in the country are regulated by Trust Law 189-11, there is no law that specifically provides for public trusts.

The party position is that the existing framework is inadequate for this type of trust. “The nature of the assets involved, and the constitutional and legal control mechanisms that protect them, require clarity that the law does not provide for,” explained the organization’s secretary general, Charlie Mariotti, at the end of a meeting of the Political Committee...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'm glad that some people are standing up against this public trust running Punta Catalina. It just sounds like a recipe for corruption with its secrecy and lack of accountability.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I'm glad that some people are standing up against this public trust running Punta Catalina. It just sounds like a recipe for corruption with its secrecy and lack of accountability.
I predict things will get worse