Lasik or laser vision correction in the Dominican Republic

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Has anyone had Lasik or laser vision correction done here in the DR and if so what was your experience and if done recently, what price did you pay? I am tired of wearing glasses and can't wear contacts anymore due to a previous eye infection caused by a contact lens so am looking at Lasik to correct my vision as close to 20/20 as possible.

I am only interested in responses from people that have experience with this here in the DR, particularly in the last year or so. Not interested opinions about doing it out of the country, this country has enough excellent medical practices that it really is not necessary to go out of country.

Many thanks.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I had my eyes done back in the 80's. $700 bucks. I went from coke bottles to no glasses in the space of 5 minutes.
Back then I was told I would have perfect vision, but would have to use reading glasses.

Here I am almost 40 years later, and I still only use reading glasses.

The only side effects was seeing halos around lights at night, and the amount of ambient light affects how clearly I see things.

I bet the technology is a thousand times better today.

Reactions: tee

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Has anyone had Lasik or laser vision correction done here in the DR and if so what was your experience and if done recently, what price did you pay? I am tired of wearing glasses and can't wear contacts anymore due to a previous eye infection caused by a contact lens so am looking at Lasik to correct my vision as close to 20/20 as possible.

I am only interested in responses from people that have experience with this here in the DR, particularly in the last year or so. Not interested opinions about doing it out of the country, this country has enough excellent medical practices that it really is not necessary to go out of country.

Many thanks.
My mother-in-law had her eyes done with laser in SD for RD$50k both eyes.

Reactions: tee

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I had my eyes done back in the 80's. $700 bucks. I went from coke bottles to no glasses in the space of 5 minutes.
Back then I was told I would have perfect vision, but would have to use reading glasses.

Here I am almost 40 years later, and I still only use reading glasses.

The only side effects was seeing halos around lights at night, and the amount of ambient light affects how clearly I see things.

I bet the technology is a thousand times better today.
The technology is very different and much more expensive. I have the beginnings of cataracts and presbyopia. I currently wear bifocals. I‘m getting corrective lens replacement surgery. They remove the natural lens and replace it with either an artificial single focus lens or a multi focus lens. Glasses would be required with the single focus artificial lens. No glasses are required with the multioptic lens. Some people still experience the halo effect at night during certain light conditions with the multi optic lens. $3500 Canadian for each eye. The government kicks in $3000 towards the total cost of $7000. One eye is done and the other is done a few days later. The procedure takes about 7 minutes. Once it’s done, cataracts will never be an issue and I will never have to wear glasses again.

Laser and Lasik is also available but has its limitations. Around $2500 per eye. It works well for myopia, not so well for presbyopia. Some people have to get the procedure repeated because the eye lens reverts back to its original curvature.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Thanks for your response....where did she have the surgery done?
COLASER (Centro de Oftalmologia y Laser)
Ave Sabana Larga #134
Ens. Ozama, Sto Dgo Este
Tel. 809-234-2060, 809-699-0024

My father-in-law got his eyes done there 15 years ago but I don't know what exactly was done to him. My mother-in-law had very bad cataract. I think the RD$50k didn't include the cost of the lenses, she said she's not sure.