Dominican Republic’s top track & field athlete says she gets RD$10,000 a month from the government elite athlete program

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Marileidi-Paulino-Gana-Plata-Diario-Libre-1024x678.png

Olympic and world athletics silver medalist Marileidy Paulino complained of lack of support from the Dominican Olympic Committee (COD) and the Ministry of Sports during an event held to recognize her recent wins at the Oregon World Athletics Championship. Paulino won the silver medal in 400m and gold in the 4×400 mixed relay.

“On behalf of my teammates who have given 100 percent and thank God we were able to obtain the gold medal and in my case (particular) thank God for the silver medal,” she said in addition to thanking the Creating Olympic Dreams private sector program (Creso). She thanked her coaches. And then, she aired her grievances.

“I take this opportunity to say this: I don’t feel the good support of the Olympic Committee or the Ministry of Sports. That’s my feeling,” said Paulino. Paulino asked for more government support for her and her coach...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Should she get a fat paycheck for life?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
She should get paid the way a 🇩🇴 diplomat gets paid.
She has done a lot more to raise the image of the country than most who's job it is to it.
Or, the privileged of the country should contribute to fund the lifestyles of talented athletes while they are representing their country.
Or are the funds of the 🇩🇴 only for the rich investors in the tourist industry?

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
She should had been given $100,000RD a month plus $1 million RD for being a winner, put her name on the map. Even get her more sponsorship. That how you treat her more properly.

Oh wait, DR always that cheap? Now that make sense.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
When I was in Samana this winter, the guys who shoveled the dirt out of the ditches said their salary was 500 pesos per day. They also said that they had not been paid for the last two months.