Abandoned Resorts, Hotels, and Villas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Here's a couple of videos on Youtube made by a guy named Nicaversom. Reminds me of a lot of places I've visited over the years.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think this is an old AMSA resort.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think there are going to be quite a lot more abandoned or sold for buttons soon if what I am hearing on the street from people who work in the sector is right. Numbers in the new year are looking very worrying indeed.

Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
A couple more to add to the list.

1) Santo Domingo Hotel on the Malecon corner of Lincoln. Been empty for must be 10 years now, I think it was a 200 bedroom property.

2) As you drive from Santo Domingo to Juan Dolio, when you get to Playa Caribe, just before the entrance to the Boulevard to Guayacanes and Juan Dolio, on the right there is an old resort which is painted yellow. I walked around it once. Beautiful bedrooms with stunning sea views, and it has access to the pretty little beach. Used to have about 200 bedrooms. The owner had decided on a crazy high price, more than it was worth and so it has stayed empty for years.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

1) Santo Domingo Hotel on the Malecon corner of Lincoln. Been empty for must be 10 years now, I think it was a 200 bedroom property.

2) As you drive from Santo Domingo to Juan Dolio, when you get to Playa Caribe, just before the entrance to the Boulevard to Guayacanes and Juan Dolio, on the right there is an old resort which is painted yellow. I walked around it once. Beautiful bedrooms with stunning sea views, and it has access to the pretty little beach. Used to have about 200 bedrooms. The owner had decided on a crazy high price, more than it was worth and so it has stayed empty for years.
The Santo Domingo hotel was nice. Nice little night club too with live music.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Every property has a market price. Some people just don't accept that their property is worth what it is worth and decide they would rather leave it empty - and deteriorating - than accept less than they think it's worth.

Reactions: aarhus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Come up near Playa Grande golf course and count the failed hotels.
The golf course never developed the way people hoped

They aren't large properties but nice little hotels

Reactions: Auryn and drstock

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
How about the Riu hotels near Amber Cove? Anybody know are those still up and running?

Last edited:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
What would have been a beautiful resort was Roco Key. It is between the Hard Rock an Macao beach in the Bavaro area. Was supposed to be 5 hotels, condos and a golf course. The golf course was finished and a lot of building construction was complete before it shut down.

No word on if it will ever proceed. It was on a high bluff and would have been one of the nicest resorts in the area.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I never understood how the Hotel Santo Domingo stayed vacant, we stayed there many times. Is the old Hispaniola across the street still vacant too?

I know the hotel at Embassy Beach well too, I remember it being built. It was our favorite beach for many years. Sad.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
What would have been a beautiful resort was Roco Key. It is between the Hard Rock an Macao beach in the Bavaro area. Was supposed to be 5 hotels, condos and a golf course. The golf course was finished and a lot of building construction was complete before it shut down.

No word on if it will ever proceed. It was on a high bluff and would have been one of the nicest resorts in the area.
It was sold to the Vicini family and I think may have even been resold . I went to several of the promotional days and the beach was a paradise but the golf course was a near disaster even though designed by Nick Faldo. You may recall that several storms destroyed two fairways near the beach. And the mosquitos were everywhere there. Yes to get to Roko Ki you had to fight those 4 wheel motor bikes that so destroyed the Macao beach

Reactions: melphis

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Come up near Playa Grande golf course and count the failed hotels.
The golf course never developed the way people hoped

They aren't large properties but nice little hotels
Because they priced out all golfers except those who can drop wasted money to play and stay at the golf course resort. So it cut out a lot of people who would come to stay for a weekend and play a couple rounds and or enjoy the beach.
Now that fuel prices are higher fewer people take drives for quickie vacations as well.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Then there is this in Santiago...
Here in Santiago you we can add Hotel Mercedes on Calle 30 de Marzo to this list as well.
I snuck in there and snapped some pictures from the ground floor a few years ago.
1669766479586.png

1669766526161.png

1669766210296.png

1669766253832.png

1669766364413.png

1669766288799.png

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I worked in Santiago for 5 years back in the 80's and always stayed at the Don Diego, a smaller hotel run by it's owner.

It was dated back then, but it was comfortable and quiet.

The owner got too old to run it, and his kids weren't interested so it was closed.

The last time I went by there a few months ago I noticed the security guard is still there sitting at the front door.

Don Diego.jpg

Last edited: