Difficulties Renewing Marbete

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I went today to the place opposite Playero to renew my Marbeta and they were checking the information on the Marbeta against their "Computer Record" and found that the "Modelo " did not match and refused to issue a new Marbete . They said I had to go to DGII to get it changed in Puerto Plata.
Has anybody else had this problem ? what did you have to do to solve it?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Before you do anything go to another place to renew the Marbete. Nothing to lose going to two different places. Nothing here is well organized. If two more places refuse than you can go to the DG.

Worse case go to a lawyer for help...............

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Same happened to me 2 years ago. They said that the letter J was missing the registration number and refused me. Told me to go to POP and fix it. I just get my lawyer to get me my Marbete now.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

Yup , similar thing happened here on Monday….went with the just the ‘matricula’ and cash ….same as I have done for the last 5 years…lady said the name didn’t match the system …and she wanted to see three things ….1. ID …2. Proof of ……….didn’t even wait for her to finish …walked out …went to the next bank ….walked out with a fresh marbete is less than 10 minutes. Job done. As miesposa always says…you deserve what you put up with here in DR.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yup , similar thing happened here on Monday….went with the just the ‘matricula’ and cash ….same as I have done for the last 5 years…lady said the name didn’t match the system …and she wanted to see three things ….1. ID …2. Proof of ……….didn’t even wait for her to finish …walked out …went to the next bank ….walked out with a fresh marbete is less than 10 minutes. Job done. As miesposa always says…you deserve what you put up with here in DR.

They do ask for ID when the name on the matricula is not yours. Apparently a requirement of the system.

Funny thing is, they ask you--- they dont check-- if the matricula is in your name.
If the answer is no, they ask for your ID.
Happens to me everytime as the matricula is in my wife's name, but I go and get the marbete, otherwise we would be in line with hundreds of people 2 days before the deadline ,🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Reactions: chico bill

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
They do ask for ID when the name on the matricula is not yours. Apparently a requirement of the system.

Funny thing is, they ask you--- they dont check-- if the matricula is in your name.
Happens to me everytime as the matricula is in my wife's name, but I go and get the marbete, otherwise we would be in line with hundreds of people 2 days before the deadline ,🤣🤣🤣🤣.
In 20 some years of renewing my wife's car, never been asked.

"No speaka Spanish" :cool: lol

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In 20 some years of renewing my wife's car, never been asked.

"No speaka Spanish" :cool: lol
In the DR what one person working in ANY agency does is not necessarily the same as another person working for the same agency. . In short, shop around...........

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I give my moto driver a copy of my matricula and 1800 pesos,1500 for the matricula and 300 for his time,he's back in an hour,done.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I went today to the place opposite Playero to renew my Marbeta and they were checking the information on the Marbeta against their "Computer Record" and found that the "Modelo " did not match and refused to issue a new Marbete . They said I had to go to DGII to get it changed in Puerto Plata.
if other places also refuse, you need to get a correct Matricula which shows the correct model of your car, or get the runaround with DGII to fix the mistyping of your car model in their system.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

They ask for ID no matter the matricula is in your name or not, so in the system it is recorded who renewed a marbete.
everybody with a copy of the matricula at hand can renew the marbete for everyone, I send my office girls and they renew a dozen marbetes ata a time, none of the vehicles is in their names, tho.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
for peeps living in the PC area,
Renew at the BDI bank in front of the Cap Cana entrance, across the parking of the La Cana Supermarket.
Never any line of peeps, so zero waiting.
you just bring a copy of anybody's car matricula and show your cedula(or passport in case you are a non registered expat)
and 3 minutes later you can put the sticker in your windshield.

Last edited:

MOC1

Oct 22, 2002
Same problem exactly... tried another day with a clear photo copy... still no go...went to DGII in the town office with the original matricula and they said I had to go to POP to get it corrected. Did that and got a new one for 200.00 RD. Took 45 minutes. A guy had to come and check the vehicle and take photos. Got my new Marabete yesterday at National no more problems. I've had the same vehicle for 14 years and never had a problem, it is Christmas time but I think it's just their screwed up computers. Funny thing is most of the people that are having trouble are gringo's. If you want to avoid the trip to POP try the small bank right behind Ban Reservas can't remember the name...it's on the left as you go towards the town hall.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
No issues at all, did it at National yesterday, went in and about 20 minutes later (there were a couple of guys who had a bunch of matrículas who held up the line for a couple of minutes) I had my new Marbete. Used the copy of the same matricula that I've used since I bought the car 4 years ago without any issues.