Santo Domingo dock collapse

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This just happened. This is the dock next to the Customs building on the waterfront where the Ferry docks:

FsUNNp_X0AEd-1L

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have been looking at the many photos on line with El Dia. I wonder how this can happen so quickly or whether there has been a problem gradually building up .I suspect the latter. I also suspect that the problem may have started on the road rather than on the river and that there was a subsidence that led to the entire area where the huge trucks and machinery drive and that led to the collapse of that part of the dock . I wonder if there is a storm weather outlet in the same area coming down from near Plaza Espana . Wish we had Odebrecht here to do quality repairs.

Reactions: CristoRey

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
They now say that a cargo of steel caused the problem but not sure if it was on the dock having been unloaded or not.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Now , we are being told the problem was a sink hole . I do not believe any of it. I think that there was a broken drain or water pipe that has been gradually made all the foundations of the road adjoining the pier very wet and the heavy load of steel was the killer blow. Shades of what happened in front of the once Hotel Frances in Calle Mercedes in Zona Colonial . There no one mended a pipe broken in the road repairs and it gradually became a huge wet hole and undermined the front wall of the hotel.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I live really close to there. They had a huge consignment of what looks like steel beams piled high on the quayside, and I think the weight was just too much. That dock is very busy with freight, I guess that it was never constructed to take the weight that is being piled on it and eventually things just snapped.

They completely resurfaced that stretch of the Malecon last week for the big presidential conference. I just can't imagine what would have happened if they had happened a few days ago when the conference was taking place.

Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Now , we are being told the problem was a sink hole . I do not believe any of it. I think that there was a broken drain or water pipe that has been gradually made all the foundations of the road adjoining the pier very wet and the heavy load of steel was the killer blow. Shades of what happened in front of the once Hotel Frances in Calle Mercedes in Zona Colonial . There no one mended a pipe broken in the road repairs and it gradually became a huge wet hole and undermined the front wall of the hotel.

Do you really believe that about the Frances? There are a lot of rumors about why that place fell down, and a lot of people seem to think that it wasn't completely accidental.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I live really close to there and hadn't realised that it is now full of water. There is a lot of activity but they seem to be making slow progress. Que bobo eh?